Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2000, 12:07 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loads of people have been posting about brake dust on the wheels and the amount of elbow grease needed to get it off, so here is my twopence worth.
Get your wheels really clean with a stiff brush and plenty of elbow grease.
Polish them with a resin polish. Give them loads of coats until they are really smooth/slippy to the touch.
Now keep a garden hose handy to wherever you park your car at home. Every time you come home give the wheels a quick rinse. Your wheels should stay clean and shiny all the time. Give them a short scrub and another coat of polish once a month to maintain the effect.

you can use this on your entire car, but rinsing the whole car every time you arrive at the house can be a bit of a pain in the butt

Old 27 December 2000, 12:31 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Thanks fast bloke.

What resin polish do you recommend?

Rich
Old 27 December 2000, 01:02 PM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you stop your brakes from rusting solid? Also, rinsing the car everytime you get home is seriously sad - and I'm a hardened car cleaner! I've found the best way to keep your wheels clean is to avoid using stiff brushes(they make minute scratches that make things worse) and spray a tyre foam on the wheels, leave to dry then buff slightly with a cloth.
Old 27 December 2000, 04:25 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

a
Old 27 December 2000, 04:36 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

B, C, D, E......does that help?

The best thing i found was a coating in WD40. Leaves them shiny and also a film to aid cleaning. Perhaps that damages lacquer though? Not 100% sure.

Ron
Old 27 December 2000, 06:12 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

I use

Bleche White on mine...
spray on... wipe clean.. stuff is awesome...

not sure if you get it there tho...

j.
Old 27 December 2000, 07:15 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Try Wonder Wheels about £7 from Halfords, it comes with a little soft brittled brush and is easy to use> just work into the dust leave a couple of mins and rinse. Then re rinse and re rinse again cos it shifts the dust into little streams when you water it which look pants if you dont get rid of them. Finish off with a tyre foam on your sidewalls ( Armor-all make the easiest spray on and walk away type) and your wheels will be shiny and bright. Then go for a hundred yard drive use the brakes once and you're back to square one lol
Just my 2p
Rich
Old 27 December 2000, 08:11 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

Wink

Here's my Tuppence worth. (Been cleaning wheels on fast cars for some years now)

Wonderwheels works well, but is a bit harsh for regular use. If you must use it regular, use a garden spray gun to mist the wheels first - this will calm the wonder wheels down a tad, but not the the point where it does not work.

Resin polish works well, but under no circumstances clean the wheels with wonderwheels - the polish will go white and will look afful until you remove it with a scourer.

WD 40 works well, protects the wheels and makes them easy to clean next time. It can also help ease the removal of stubborn stains. It can however have the disadvantage of leaving a totally harmless residue which helps to attract the dust.

Unfortunately, there's no substitute for elbow grease in the long run. I found the special wheel cleaning brush that Autoglym produce to be quite effective.

Oh ....... and avoid those DS3000 pads as well. They'll kill your wheels and there's nothing you can do about it!

Regards
Kurt