Sponsored by:

Safe Motorways

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2000, 12:13 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Both times I've been pulled over for speeding (through speed traps), I've asked why they have a speed trap there and at that time. The response always seems to be "we are responding to complaints from the people who live around here". Rubbish. One of those times I was pulled at 1.00am on a Monday morning. In the previous 15 minutes I hadn't even seen another car it was so quiet. Even if they were responding to complaints, those complainants weren't thinking of 1.00am! And the only reason I was speeding was because I didn't realise it was a 30. Why, for crying out load, are there no 30mph repeater signs? Most deaths/accidents occur within these limits, so surely it is these areas that need repeaters more than anywhere else. And if one more person gives me the crap about "when the street lamps are x distance apart" I'll scream. But if everyone knew they were in a 30 limit then they might not generate as much revenue from speed traps. I think I see a pattern emerging...

I for one still need to be convinced that speed cameras/traps are mounted at accident blacksopts and are not a means of collecting revenue.

Jerome.
Old 22 December 2000, 12:37 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

We have a great trap where the A1 joins the M1 on the way into Belfast. You spend about 20 minuts driving on a 70 MPH dual cariageway which becomes a 40 zone on a perfectly straight piece of road about half a mile from the motorway. I've been driving on this road once or twice a day most days for the past 15 years. There are no houses or schools nearby and I have never seen an accident or incedent on this piece of road, but I still see the chaps out with their mobile laser trap at least twice a day. I think it is because they can score much bigger fines here where people might still be doing 75, than they could outside the local primary school, where thay can only hand out a few fixed penalties for 35 on a 30 zone.

On the bright side, you can use a regular trap to your advantage. Find yourself a warm/hot hatch to play with (a corsa is ideal.) Wind them up a bit until you are approaching the limits of the trap. Hit the brakes hard. Travel past merrily watching plod remove another paffu jacket from the roads.
Works every time on the A1
Old 22 December 2000, 12:41 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Angry

As we're on the subject of radar speed traps check this out for double standards...particularly the last bit about discretion with regard to weather, road condition, and amount of other traffic
Old 22 December 2000, 10:54 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Red face

If,as has been stated by various sources, our motorways are the safest roads in the country, and this countries roads are some of the safest in Europe, then why do the government speed tax collectors, sorry Police, not get out and about and crack down on speeding where it is needed.

The message that is put out by the government in that a reduction of speed in built up areas saves lives, but do you ever see a copper outside a school with a radar gun?

Leading up to my house is a half mile downhill NSL road which then goes into a 30 limit just before a medium right bend with a nursery/ community centre on the right. In the 6 years I have lived there we have experienced at least 5 MAJOR smashes with people skidding more thsan 165 feet into the neighbours wall. In the smashes at least 2 people have died and 1 pregnant woman put in a coma. Even after getting a petition together and handing it to the local police and the council, nothing has happened, NO speed cameras/ traps/ shell grip on the bend, nothing.
Presumably they think that a couple of people dying is not reason enough to take people away from the tax collection duties.

Makes my blood boil.

Chris.
Old 22 December 2000, 11:14 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I think you're missing the point.

Income tax isn't going up is it?
Old 22 December 2000, 06:44 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Yex,

thats it!! Get yerself a chauffeur - it worked for Jack Straw too.

Looks like a two class system is developing in society - but not upper/lower class. It is now in-control and being-controlled.

mb
Old 22 December 2000, 06:54 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Lol @ BarryK

In my very scientific poll of our smoking room at work (uhum) I'm very interested to see whats gonna happen when us law abiding - commuter - highly skilled (uhum) guys lose are licenses and Industry can no longer employ the skills they need.

75% of us will lose our licenses in < 2 years if we tot up at the current rate we've been going.

Gary
Old 22 December 2000, 10:37 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Angry

Chris

On my way to work there is an infants school, speed limit outside it is sixty. Forty yards after it the speed limit drop to 40, personally never go over 30 slower if it's chucking out time.

Si