Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2007, 10:40 PM
kevp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle ID issue

Hi all
Hope someone can help?
Just been looking at another scoob as the misses wants the wagon, but upon a regestration check it shows up as a 2.0L LX The log book say's 2.0L LX but plate under bonnet say's its a WRX - GC8C48D

Could there be a simple explanation?

Cheers
Kev
Old 09 November 2007, 09:17 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

someone has pulled a naughty and told the DVLA the wrong model, prob to get cheaper insurance. Walk away, plenty of nice cars out there and not worth the hassel, which if you don't have it corrected when you buy it you will get fined or prison time for and also invalidate your insurance
Old 09 November 2007, 09:30 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Mine is down as an Impreza with no model.. Garage that registered it told me they do it so i could insure it as an LX for cheap insurance...

It is of course insured as a WRX Turbo wagon as I would like money to be paid out if its in an accident! Im fairly sure its easy to change the model on the V5 with a quick letter to the DVLA.. I wouldn't let it stop me buying the perfect car.. bu would walk away if there was another very similar car but with correct docs!
Old 09 November 2007, 09:49 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

its a fair point, not that much of a pain to change, but makes you wonder what else is wrong with it there not telling you.
Old 09 November 2007, 12:04 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Dodgy garage, walk away, it sounds like the car has been driven by someone who couldnt really afford it, so i ask the question, how well was it maintained!
Old 09 November 2007, 12:50 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

i have been looking at a few imports lately and none have been reg'ed properly on the v5. 2.0 gl seems to be popular
have asked a few guys on the type ra forum and they recon 75% of imported scoobs don't match on the v5
Old 09 November 2007, 10:30 PM
kevp
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys

After asking a couple of questions to the owner, it is registerd as a LX insured as a WRX. This was getting worse I thought

After many telephone calls (DVLA / VOSA) this problem can be sorted pretty easy,which the owner is willing to undertake for me if I am not 100% happy.

Thanks for the replies
Kev

Also found this bit of info on my quest for answers

UK-spec Special Variants..

Model Type
"1.8GL" (1993)
Subaru imported six Type RS's, the development car that led to the stripped-out Type RA. For UK car certification reasons they were registered as 1.8GL's despite having big turbos attached to 2 litre engines. Three cars went to Prodrive; three were retained by Subaru UK and were subsequently sold
Old 09 November 2007, 11:46 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
someone has pulled a naughty and told the DVLA the wrong model, prob to get cheaper insurance. Walk away, plenty of nice cars out there and not worth the hassel, which if you don't have it corrected when you buy it you will get fined or prison time for and also invalidate your insurance
Sorry, but this is complete rubbish!
Many, many WRX imports have been registered as 2.0 LXs - even my car was when I personally imported it. It's as much to do with lazyness on the behalf of the DVLA as anything else. When the car is first registered, because there is no UK 'WRX' model for that year of car, they just pick the top 2.0 litre engined Impreza off the top of their list - which happens to be the 2.0 LX. Provided the car is insured as a WRX, then there's nothing dodgy, and no 'scam'. Probably half the classic WRXs in the country are registered as LXs!! I certainly wouldn't walk away from one soley on this basis!

I changed the paperwork for my WRX when I moved house. I wrote a few lines on a covering letter, and the V5 came back with the new address and correct model - cost the price of a stamp. I don't think I would have gone to jail or invalidated my insurance had I not changed the model though....
Old 10 November 2007, 10:32 AM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
This is poor advice Im afraid, although Im sure that it is well-meant. Unless you make a special effort when you register an imported car then the DVLA will usually use the first model code that they come across. 1.8GL is far more common mind.

Id be more concerned that a 'Wagon has a 1995/1996 Saloon applied model number.....

Simon
Old 10 November 2007, 12:21 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

GC8C48D 260 WRX 4 door
GC8C47D 260 WRX RA 4 door
GC8C4ED 275 WRX STi2 4 door First full production STi
GC8C4ED 275 WRX STi2 555 4 door Special edition
GC8C4DD 275 WRX RA STi First full production STi RA
GC8C4DD 275 WRX RA STi2 V-Limited Special edition
GF8C58D 220 WRX 5 door
GF8C58D 260 WRX STi2 5 door
GF8C58D 260 WRX STi2 555 5 door Special edition
GF8C58P 220 WRX 5 door AT First production automatic transmission

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 11 November 2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10 November 2007, 02:58 PM
kevp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon 69

Id be more concerned that a 'Wagon has a 1995/1996 Saloon applied model number.....

Simon
Its not a Wagon, I have already got the Wagon which the misses wants

Hi all
Hope someone can help?
Just been looking at another scoob as the misses wants the wagon, but upon a regestration check it shows up as a 2.0L LX The log book say's 2.0L LX but plate under bonnet say's its a WRX - GC8C48D

Could there be a simple explanation?

Cheers
Kev
Old 10 November 2007, 03:05 PM
kevp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveD
Sorry, but this is complete rubbish!
Many, many WRX imports have been registered as 2.0 LXs - even my car was when I personally imported it. It's as much to do with lazyness on the behalf of the DVLA as anything else. When the car is first registered, because there is no UK 'WRX' model for that year of car, they just pick the top 2.0 litre engined Impreza off the top of their list - which happens to be the 2.0 LX. Provided the car is insured as a WRX, then there's nothing dodgy, and no 'scam'. Probably half the classic WRXs in the country are registered as LXs!! I certainly wouldn't walk away from one soley on this basis!

I changed the paperwork for my WRX when I moved house. I wrote a few lines on a covering letter, and the V5 came back with the new address and correct model - cost the price of a stamp. I don't think I would have gone to jail or invalidated my insurance had I not changed the model though....

DaveD this is what I was thinking but deep down I thought it would be wise to ask other Scoob owners - You never know . I have since found out that my Wagon had a reg issue before I owned it and the last keeper (one of my mates) sorted it with a letter to the letter to the DVLA

Cheers everybody
Kev
Old 10 November 2007, 03:15 PM
Tired Old Dad
Scooby Regular

Mine is a 1994 JDM WRX, but on the V5 is registered as a 2.0GL. I have had no problem with insurance, MOT or Taxing the car, I have insured it as a WRX with mods.