Sponsored by:

How slow can you go?

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2000, 12:04 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I am a complete **** on 30Mph and 40Mph zones. If your ever stuck behind an Impreza sticking rigidly to the speed limit and staring at his speedo, then thats me I'm afraid.

Apologies for everyone I ever hold up, I am very sorry. Apologies even more to the people I blat past in a national speedlimit only to then stick at 39Mph going through the next village.

Derestricted roads are a different matter of course you won't be held up when we get there.

I have 8 points now and 2 years before any come off, and I drive 35K per annum - I aint speeding for no-one, you can all sod off

edit spelling correct, used the wrong word

Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary Foster (edited 18 December 2000).]
Old 18 December 2000, 12:30 AM
Rob B
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm with you Gary and even quite enjoy holding people up by sticking to 30 limits. You've touched on one of my biggest hates on the road. Rant mode approaching:

Picture the scene - a beautiful 60mph limit country road, long sweeping bends, the odd tricky corner and loads of visibility. Unfortunately the driver in front is sticking at 45mph and there's no overtaking opportunities as there is traffic coming the other way. For miles and miles you follow slowly going insane as you dawdle through another set of potentially exciting bends - eventually you come to a village/town and a 30 limit and the idiot in front then proceeds to continue at the exact same 45mph that they have been going all day. It makes my blood boil that there are so many people who have no idea what constitutes driving to the conditions and instead just do the same speed no matter what the limit and weather.

Rant mode over. Please tell me I'm not the only one this happens to!
Old 18 December 2000, 12:32 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Rob,

Even more annoying when you know there is an overtaking opportunity at the end of the 30 limit, by which time the numpty will be many car lengths ahead as he has progressed through the 30 limit at 45.
Old 18 December 2000, 12:35 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Numpty - what a word....

Old 18 December 2000, 12:49 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Gary Foster
That's me exactly too!!

RobB
And that's my daily commute exactly - five 30 limits, repeat five times!!
Old 18 December 2000, 08:44 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Angry

Must have followed one of the most annoying drivers in England to work today.
Picked them up just after my house, and had an enjoyable journey to work at a maximum of 29mph.

Down every hill they sat on the brake, at roundabouts accelerated (just), like 200 meters to go back to 29mph again!

why!?

surely this can only be due to gatso/speeding paranoia? worst thing they were obviously concentrating on the speedo more than anything else. Must a safe driver tho eh?

robski
Old 18 December 2000, 08:45 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

I think you forgot the most important bit of information ......

So what were they driving then???

an electric wheelchair??
Old 18 December 2000, 09:27 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sound like another contender for KING of the road.
Old 18 December 2000, 10:02 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

E reg metro

robski
Old 18 December 2000, 10:10 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Gary Player, the golfer, reckoned that patience was one of the best virtues to have on the course. Apparently he would take his car out and find the slowest driver he could, then force himself to sit behind it and not overtake for as long as he could.

Fine when you're a multimillionaire golfer, but not when you're trying to get to work!
Old 18 December 2000, 10:33 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

But to go over 29mph would be *speeding*, and speeding in a 30 isn't condoneable.

Although some stupid figure of drivers claim to stick to the speed limit in a 30 zone, how many actually do?

As a challenge, try driving at 30mph as practice for your IAM advanced driving test. When you've got a frigging BUS 12 inches from your bumper, you soon lose your nerve.

Live and let live. They were within the law, whereas you wanted to break it. That's hardly their fault. Easy to type this, though I'm sure I'd be wound up too
Old 18 December 2000, 01:27 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

I normaly find this happens on the A21 to / from Hastings
Old 18 December 2000, 01:29 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Guys,

you are misunderstanding my post
I do not condone speeding in 30 limits, I will admit I do, but I try to avoid going over 35, but I place much more emphasis on checking the sideroads, footpaths etc for potential hazards than staring at my speedo.
Only yesterday I spotted some kids 5 seconds before they kicked a football into the road in my path. I had spotted them and was wary as they seemed to be messing about. If I was concentrating on my speed I wouldnt have been aware of them that far in advance.

The person in front of me today (unless they were a superb speed judge) must have spent a minimum of 50% of the time watching the speedo.

And why the **** does it take 200 meters to go from 5 - 29mph!? again probably watching the speedo to ensure they didnt exceed 29mph.
Although maybe theve been reading the accelerating too hard thread

robski
Old 18 December 2000, 01:37 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Talking

Can I introduce a new sport?
I too stay below to 30/40 in 30/40 limits, the game involves:
Once someone comes flying up behind you doing 50 or whatever and sits on your bumper, you gradually slow down on the basis that the person behind (6 inches normally) cannot stop from 30 if you had to brake, so you go slower until you reach the point whereby they could stop in the distance they can see is clear.
The game is to see how slow you have to go before the above is the case.
Personnally I have never managed to win, as once the person behind starts waving fists and hitting the horn I normally give in and pull tight(ish) to the kerb, at which point they overtake.
(The above sport is played is at your own risk)
Old 18 December 2000, 01:43 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Robertio,

Ive done the same.

Managed to get someone to drive at about 5mph for a while. He eventually backed off, probably to get round me, so I sped up
he then proceded to drive on my **** again, so we go slower.... talk about slooooow learner

robski

Old 18 December 2000, 01:49 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Rob B,
The situation you describe is a real bug bear of mine. Bloody 45 mph along unrestricted roads, 20 limits, school playgrounds. Total donkies.

Robertio,
This "sport" you refer to describes exactly what Paul Ripley (Britains top advanced driving instructor) recommends for the situation where you are tailgated. Fine in theory, but on the motorway, if you leave a decent gap in front, 23 Vectras move into it. You then have to slow down more to get another decent gap in front of you, only to have 19 Mondeos pull into the gap. Eventually you end up hurtling along in the fast lane in reverse. Try doing it anywhere else and you'd be lucky if you aren't swerved of the road.

Jerome.
Old 18 December 2000, 01:50 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Robertio,

I've played that game too .... it's great fun
Old 18 December 2000, 02:35 PM
Rob B
Scooby Regular

Smile

Robski - apologies for the misunderstanding - I know exactly what you mean - it is not a very clever idea to get motorists staring at their speedo's instead of the road, but is no doubt exactly what will happen if the morons in power implement their latest desparate zero tolerance policy.

Glad I'm not the only one that has to endure numpty's on the road - its about time members of Scoobynet were given the power to stop these people in the street and rip up their driving licences
Old 18 December 2000, 05:07 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jerome, staying in Glasgow with only a 4 mile commute to work, all through 30 limit gives me plenty of practice I head north in the holidays, where there is a distinct lack of traffic , and if I have to travel somewhere (where other people use the roads) I try to do it at night, I find this way I avoid most of the nose to tail at 65mph madness
Something to be said for office jobs