Sponsored by:

How should my new clutch feel??

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2007, 02:06 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should my new clutch feel??

Had a new Excedy clutch fitted about 2 months ago. Now, it's catching nearly every time I change gear, very little feeling in the pedal, and the biting point is near the top of the pedal! have they fitted this wrong? Is my gearbox on it's way out? i've tried to contact the company, but no joy as yet! just wanted some feedback on other classics with a Excedy clutch!!
Old 29 October 2007, 02:26 PM
killerscoob
Scooby Regular

Hi,
Be quite honest I dont know but I am having mine changed tomoz because it goosed and the biting point is at the very top aswell but mine slips in 3rd,4th and 5th if I take it over 4 revs Does yours?

Alan.
Old 29 October 2007, 02:32 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Hi Alan no slipping, just **** all feeling! to be honest the clutch doesnt feel that differant than before! I know it's hard for people to pinpoint the problem just from reading this, just got a gut feeling that something isn't right! My main problem is the slight catching in 1st 2nd and 3rd! like I say, it may be the gearbox on its way out - dunno!!!
Old 29 October 2007, 02:35 PM
killerscoob
Scooby Regular

Who did it for you?
Old 29 October 2007, 02:40 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Don't really wanna say at the minute mate - need to get my facts right first. gonna try and get hold of them later, see what they say! It's a fair drive from where I live, otherwise I'd just call in after work!
Old 29 October 2007, 03:10 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

As I remember my excedy took a day or 2 to come back to normal. It felt as a std clutch does biting toward the middle.

The clutch is self adjusting so the bite shouldn't be at the top unless it's worn. With lack of feel though it could possibly be an air lock in the hydraulics?
Old 29 October 2007, 03:24 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Mmmmm, interesting - what sort of job is it to get rid of the air lock - if it is that problem??
Old 29 October 2007, 07:50 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Come on folks - I know its a boring subject, but I could do with a few more sugestions on what might be wrong
Old 29 October 2007, 08:52 PM
Daz1121
Scooby Regular

About 6 months ago I had a standard Exedy clutch fitted to my Classic T2000. For the first 50miles it had a terrible judder to it when very soon settled down. The pedal felt much lighter than the old clutch which would slip if pulling away using much more than 4000rpm. The bite point is about midway on the pedal and now there is no judder at all to it.
Hope this helps you Si.
Old 30 October 2007, 10:09 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Bleeding it is the same principal a doing brakes, not a difficult thing. Why don't you just take it back to where it was fitted and let them know. Obviously something was not done right so they should happily fix it without question.
Old 30 October 2007, 10:12 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the pedal getting stuck as you depress is? If so you need to adjust the pedal, this is very common after fitting a new clutch.
Old 31 October 2007, 04:58 PM
killerscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si
Hi Alan no slipping, just **** all feeling! to be honest the clutch doesnt feel that differant than before! I know it's hard for people to pinpoint the problem just from reading this, just got a gut feeling that something isn't right! My main problem is the slight catching in 1st 2nd and 3rd! like I say, it may be the gearbox on its way out - dunno!!!
I had my clutch fitted yesterday and my biting point is now at the bottom and is spot on but I need to just get used to it now I just keep stalling it like a muppet. My Clutch was done by Scoobytech in Fleetwood (Highly recommended)
If the place where you got yours fitted dont sort it get your money back and go there.

Alan
Old 31 October 2007, 05:24 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by killerscoob
I had my clutch fitted yesterday and my biting point is now at the bottom and is spot on but I need to just get used to it now I just keep stalling it like a muppet. My Clutch was done by Scoobytech in Fleetwood (Highly recommended)
If the place where you got yours fitted dont sort it get your money back and go there.

Alan
No probs mate, spoke to the guy, going up on sat to sort it out!! Cheers for all the reply's dudes, hopfully get this sorted!!