Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One thing i don`t understand with the new impreza.

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2007, 12:57 AM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One thing i don`t understand with the new impreza.

Right, Subaru have said they are now aiming the new impreza at the focus market so it will appeal to families etc.

Now correct me at any point if i am wrong, as far as i have read the new impreza in all models from the 1.5 R upwards come with 4 wheel drive ?

If thats the case then how is the new impreza that has a heavy 4 wheel drive system going to compete with a much lighter focus in fuel economy ?

Also what use does 4 wheel drive have to the average shopper and the woman dropping her kids off at school have ?

I wouldn`t say they have thought this through very well as those 4 wheel drive units are very heavy and all it will do is reduce the economy to the average person they are targeting.
Old 26 October 2007, 08:45 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Exactly what I thought too. Be interesting to know if they've sold any yet, certainly not seen any on the road. Plenty of foci around though..... Perhaps not as cunning a plan as they thought.

But I won't knock it as in in general I've always preferred hatchbacks to saloons, I quite like the look of the STi and will seriously consider that when it comes out over here. Or perhaps look at the JDM as the thought of a 2 litre screamer seems better than a lazy 2.5. Shame there's no 3 door though.
Old 26 October 2007, 10:24 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

The could play on the AWD system being safer in wet/snowy conditions. A big plus for overly worried parent these days. But as said above MPG seams to be king these days, and most people looking for a sensible family car will look for better MPG than if it has AWD or not.

So they won't sell to the family, and they've alienated themselves from there core market. Nice on Subaru.
Old 26 October 2007, 10:48 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I bet that there is, as near as damn it, no difference in weight between a Focus and the new Impreza.

All Subarus have AWD, so it would be kind of strange for the new car not have it.
Old 26 October 2007, 11:07 AM
barnettgs
Scooby Newbie

Subaru 1.5R is actually lighter than I thought previously - it is only 1310kg while similar spec but quicker (more expensive) Ford Focus 1.6 is 1280kg. Not really a big difference. Similar priced Ford Focus 1.4 is slower than 1.4 so I thought 1.6 focus would be fairer.

For fuel - 1.5R gets 37 while Ford Focus' 42mpg. Focus' resale value is poor though, only 35% after 3 years when you could get 42% with 1.5R.

I think it is aimed at people like me who live in countryside with poor rural roads. 1.5R isn't great but you can see it is quite attractive when you consider its price.

I might consider 2.0 when my mondeo gets done someday!

Last edited by barnettgs; 26 October 2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 26 October 2007, 12:41 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

I don't think fuel economy matters to some people. Most schools have big 4x4s parked outside which only do 25mpg (even diesels). I can only assume they think they are safer for their kids. So, as said, maybe the safety aspect of the 4x4 system of the impreza could tempt people away from the Focus?
Old 26 October 2007, 06:53 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think they even consider what the UK market wants...... go to the USA... in some of the states, every other car is a Subaru..... the market over there is huge, and they like the awd aspect of them..... they do need it there aswell, some of the states barely have any time in the year without snow......
Old 26 October 2007, 07:14 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The awd costs 5mpg i reckon but who knows mybe the 'image ' will win over .
Old 26 October 2007, 07:46 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Originally Posted by dpb
The awd costs 5mpg i reckon but who knows mybe the 'image ' will win over .
Thats a lot on miles per gallon figures.

The average shopper or the person dropping the kids off at school doesn`t want or doesn`t need AWD as its just another expensive thing that can go wrong, it aint worth the extra weight for the market that subaru are supposed to be targeting.
Old 26 October 2007, 09:10 PM
Tart Man
Scooby Regular

Location: Custard, Strawberry, Apple, Blonde, Brunette...its all good!

Histrorically, the base model Impreza was just 2wd. Some Subaru models over the years used switchable AWD, so spent most of their time as 2wd cars.

I'm sure their marketing guys will play on the AWD=safety card

Which is utter hogwash, but this is the wrong forum to even attempt to try explaining why (FWIW AWD does not improve control in adverse conditions, mearly traction).
Old 26 October 2007, 11:01 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

AWD in slippery conditions on normal tyres is plain treacherous in my experience.
Old 26 October 2007, 11:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What i never *got* was why a n/a scoob awd with 125 bhp would be slower to 60 than my xsara with 110 bhp and the same weight

guess its transmission losses