Sponsored by:

Supply of own parts for servicing

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2007, 09:34 AM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supply of own parts for servicing

Has anyone ever done this with a Subaru dealer ?
I get fed up with being over charged for parts by them, for example screenwash when I know it was nearly full already, Not getting the rest of the gallon of oil you bought when the car only holds 4.1 litre's ( aprox ) ETC ETC.

I was thinking of buying the oil, screenwash and filter and supplying them to be fitted at the service, thus only paying for labour and getting back the unused oil, screenwash etc ?

Am I just being tight
Old 25 October 2007, 09:37 AM
Big_Dan531
Scooby Regular

i know where ur comign from m8 i dont take mine to them. my m8 works for a dealer ship and does all the work at home but they do over charge big time i would ask them and see what they say. i cant see it beign a problem but then they might charge u more labour
Old 25 October 2007, 09:50 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fill your screen wash to the top before you go in - complain if they charge becuase that means that they havent even chekced it.

Supply your own oil by all means, they cannot restrict you to using their oil although they might ask why - just say its special stuff!

If you pay for 5 litres of oil and they only use 4.1 then you are within your rights to demand the oil you have paid for OR they can take it off the bill.

If in doubt speak the customer service manager straight away, dont waste your breath on the monkeys at the front desk.
Old 25 October 2007, 09:56 AM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a full service done by a subaru approved dealer last week.
I supplied all the parts, engine oil, gearbox oil, rear diff oil, timing belt, fuel filter, oil filter and spark plugs.
Also got alloy rear droplinks fitted and a highflow fuel pump fitted

The final bill came to £236.

Now the car is booked in again in 2 weeks to get a few more tweaks fitted.

Last edited by slipstream_uk; 25 October 2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: .
Old 25 October 2007, 02:21 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sideways
Has anyone ever done this with a Subaru dealer ?
I get fed up with being over charged for parts by them, for example screenwash when I know it was nearly full already, Not getting the rest of the gallon of oil you bought when the car only holds 4.1 litre's ( aprox ) ETC ETC.

I was thinking of buying the oil, screenwash and filter and supplying them to be fitted at the service, thus only paying for labour and getting back the unused oil, screenwash etc ?

Am I just being tight
I don't get my car serviced at a Subaru dealer.
As long as the mechanic is VAT registered, Subaru UK will still honor the warranty.
Most of the services are oil and filter anyway.
It just depends as to whether you know a decent honest mechanic you can trust. If you can, go for it.
If you plan to hold onto your car for a few years, I really can't see the extra cost of a Dealer service history being worth it - depends on how long you want to keep the car I guess.
Old 25 October 2007, 02:33 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

If the car is serviced by Subaru only they don't have a reason to not pay for warranty issues. Its just the way I like it, also if there are any recalls etc they are the first to know. Plus this is the longest I've kept a car for about 10 years because I love it (7th scooby) had it since March 1st this year so servicing not really been an issue before.
Old 25 October 2007, 03:23 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
I don't get my car serviced at a Subaru dealer.
As long as the mechanic is VAT registered, Subaru UK will still honor the warranty.
I thought they had to show they'd use Subaru genuine or approved parts not just be VAT registered. Essentially to avoid cheap filters, metal in engine "we aren't paying" type scenarios.

5t.
Old 25 October 2007, 05:13 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
I thought they had to show they'd use Subaru genuine or approved parts not just be VAT registered. Essentially to avoid cheap filters, metal in engine "we aren't paying" type scenarios.

5t.
Good point. I phoned my mechanic and he said-
As long as the parts (filters and so on) are listed as being suitable for Subaru it is OK.
I think it is fair to say that Subaru probably don't make their own filters, but indeed outsource them and then paint Subaru on them.

This is actually an interesting sub thread. I'd like to know if anybody knows a bit more about this.
Old 25 October 2007, 07:00 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Any car can now be serviced at any garage providing it is serviced to the manufacturers specification using genuine parts only.Warranty work is a different scenario and must be carried out by authorised dealers only
Old 25 October 2007, 07:10 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

Under Block Exemption Regulations (BER) the warranty is maintained if the car is serviced to the vehicle manufacturer's specification by a competent repairer (usually that means a VAT-registered garage). The parts used do not have to be genuine parts, they have to be 'matching quality' - this means:
'Spare parts made by any undertaking which can certify at any moment that the parts in question match the quality of the components which are or were used for the assembly of the motor vehicles in question.'

Not all aftermarket parts are of 'matching quality' - you need to check with the supplier. It probably easiest to buy genuine parts. Oils are easy to match up though, and likely to be much cheaper than the crazy prices charged by Subaru dealers.
Old 26 October 2007, 12:04 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Microstar
Under Block Exemption Regulations (BER) the warranty is maintained if the car is serviced to the vehicle manufacturer's specification by a competent repairer (usually that means a VAT-registered garage). The parts used do not have to be genuine parts, they have to be 'matching quality' - this means:
'Spare parts made by any undertaking which can certify at any moment that the parts in question match the quality of the components which are or were used for the assembly of the motor vehicles in question.'

Not all aftermarket parts are of 'matching quality' - you need to check with the supplier. It probably easiest to buy genuine parts. Oils are easy to match up though, and likely to be much cheaper than the crazy prices charged by Subaru dealers.
Cheers mate.
Sleep easy tonight