Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1 drivers input please

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2002, 01:29 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silly question but is a dead bolt fitted to all P1's and what are they?
Old 10 January 2002, 01:30 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Wotcha,

Re tyres, I believe that the Pzeros are the only tyre that's made to fit the P1 wheels. As a result anything you put on is going to be oversized. I'm running Toyo's at present, which have been very good, but the car does feel different, as it tends to tramline a bit, and extra flexion in the side wall of the tyres, can give the steering a slightly 'delayed' feel. Pressures seem to be a lot more critical.

Re brakes, I would have thought that most dealers would have fitted braided hoses when fitting the Alcons, but it's easy enough to see them so check. The DS2000 pads are fine, but I've heard that the new DS2500 are even better, and might be put on as standard in the future.

The gearbox on the P1 (well mine certainly) does seem to baulk a little more than my old '98, but I was under the impression that the clutch on the P1 wasn't adjustable. If that's the case, I'd worry about what Ralliart are proposing to do.

At the end of the day, if the Subaru warranty is still valid I'd use it.

Josh

PS Re other mods, some people swear by the 'Bumpsteer' mod, but it's a personal thing. Well worth getting the four wheel allignment done though, as Subaru's tolerances are ridiculous. Getting all the settings put to the middle of the tolerances can transform the handling.
Old 10 January 2002, 01:32 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

P1enthusiast....

If you have the Prodrive brake upgrade then you are virtually home and dry - some people would argue that braided hoses + DOT 5.1 fluid gives more brake feel - but that is questionable (stopping power will be unaffected).... Keep with the DS2000's - DS3000's are superior on-track but tend to destroy your discs and paintwork !

I believe that the general consensus is SO2's are the best overall tyres...

DEFINITELY get the gearbox seen to by a scooby dealer - there is a bolt that comes loose around the linkage and may well be the problem here - if it is, its a simple job !

Cheap mods that (probably) wont affect your insurance - for handling - the bumpsteer mod seems popular - helps steering under hard braking.... Otherwise keep with what Prodrive developed !

Hope this helps !

Gastro
Old 10 January 2002, 01:54 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Not a P1 driver but dont think that makes a difference.

Pzeros are crap. I have just bought my first set of SO3s in 18 inch and am ecstatic with them. Incredible. I have had three sets of toyos and am really not a fan but others seem to like them. SO2s are great but few and far bewteen. If you get them and have a puncture you risk not being able to get a replacement.

As for the gearbox, it sound liek a common impreza problem. Has happened top me. I just double declutch or select first before hadn to line up the selector fork.

Best thing I did was to buy redline hi shock gearbox oil. The stuff is awesome and makes the gearchange feel like a knife through butter, yet is supposed to provide much better protection than standard, Be warned it isnt cheap.
Old 10 January 2002, 02:02 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Just to reiterate the above really, Ian is quite correct in try dipping the clutch a couple of times before selecting reverse....and 1st !

I've had every make of tyre available....I run 18" prodrive alloys and find that I am now tied to Toyo's (I need 215's and the rest cant help me)...needing 215 x 35 x 18's...all 225's apart from Pirelli rub the arch liner when pushing the car hard ! However...I highly rate the S03's....F1's and Toyo's....Yoko's are brill as I an will conclude but a very soft compound tends them not to last very long (s'pecially on our trips eh Ian )

Your brakes are superb...they will have been fitted with steel lines and suitable fluid...whilst I use DS3000 pads on track....I use DS2500 on road and have to say they are the best I have tried.....and I've tried a fair few

Mods....My baby is only 9 months old and am aware of warranty issues.... so, no engine mods apart from an ITG panel filter, Group N downpipe (unblanked), Scorpion middle and backbox....all de-cat of course.....oh and N.F. Octane booster with Optimax.....I get 303bhp with 280lbs of torque....I'm quite happy

I wont bore you with the other mods I have had done....I've sent you a piccie instead.....taken with wet slicks on at Donnington in the snow and one at Oulton Park....enjoy

Chris
Old 10 January 2002, 02:31 PM
GavM
Scooby Regular

Cool

I definately recomend the bumpsteer. Had mine for a few months now and love it. Found out just how good it was in the snow in Ireland and Scotland over holidays
Old 10 January 2002, 03:14 PM
None Prouder
Scooby Regular

I have exactly the same problem with reverse, and occasionally with 1st and 2nd. At the dealer at the moment. Apparantly, as you said, they all do that and you have to engage slowly . But they will have a look at it so obviously it will be solved.

None Prouder
Old 10 January 2002, 04:29 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Some excellent feedback! Thanks alot.

Ok so to sum up you recommend;

1) S02s for my next tyres
2) DS 2500 pads - Any idea on price for front and rear?
3) DoT 5.1 fluid - price?
4) Braided hoses - these better than what Prodrive kit comes with?
Price?
5) Bump Steer mod? Price? Availability?
6) Hi-shock gear box oil, how hard to change this and price for oil for complete change? Will try to get dealer to change oil when investigating my clutch problem <wink>
7) IGN Filter - this best one? Price?

GavM - heya fellow celt, i am northern irish mate.
Adam M - Thx for gear box oil tip.

Chris

P.S. Sorry to ask about prices but as i said not really clued up on this at all.

Old 10 January 2002, 04:35 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Lo Chris mate! Fine tuning that beast of yours I see. Man Im so tempted to just sod it and go out and buy a P1 tomorrow but for once Im being mr sensible.

P.S. Check ur email for details on the next lan day - hopefully a lot more organised this time and a lot more room for our kit.
Old 10 January 2002, 08:55 PM
HAPPY
Scooby Regular

i had my P1 gearbox oil changed to fully synth at 1000 mile service
after reading on this board about sti5 gearbox failures and somebody suggested to go this route.
my gearbox is faultless and smooth now with 8000 miles

pete
Old 01 October 2002, 12:59 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Question

Have been reading this board and the 22b board quite alot. Got a few queries as i know very little.

My p1 is 11mths old with the magnex exhaust (not sure on centre pipe?) and upgraded pro-drive brakes.

Firstly, lots of talk on here about upgrading the brake hoses and fluids. Would i need to do this with the pro-drive system or would that already be done? I think i will stick to the HS2000 (sp?) pads that comes with it?

Secondly, Amazing amounts of tyre discussion, i agree on comments about P Zeros in wet, soooo Bridgestone S02s or S03s? Given i don't want to pay silly money and i want reasonable miles from them.

Lastly, my car baulks alot going into reverse like 50 times over Xmas alone. It sometimes won't give 1st either. Ralliart reckon the clutch needs adjusting and its covered under warranty. Scooby dealer reckons it needs to be engaged slowly, however, that makes sodding no difference. Since i need reverse to engage my dead bolt its getting annoying and the transmission is definitely worse than when i bought it. Anyone else had this problem? Am i right in getting the scooby dealer to sort this? Should i let ralliart do it who i bought the car off? (ralliart seem to think its cake to sort, scooby dealer is making it sound like rocket science)

Is there any other cheap mods i can make to my P1 to improve handling or performance while keeping my warranty?

Thanks for the help, Chris

[Edited by P1 Enthusiast - 1/10/2002 1:00:59 PM]
Old 01 October 2002, 01:33 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Hi There fellow P1 owner.

Braided hoses will help the feeling in the brakes - and they are more able to cope with the heat under heavy braking. DOT 5.1 fluid will again overcome heat issues that result in boiling brake fluid. I also have the Alcon/Prodrive brake setup and I immediately invested in braided hoses front and read (as per my previous scooby turbos).

As for the gearbox - I too have problems selecting reverse. I find that dipping the clutch and lifting right off before selecting helps this situation a little. I also have problems selecting first after reverse and sometimes leads to a nasty crunch. Maybe we all have syncro problems which seem to have been reported on version 5 STIs - after all - we have STI v5 gearboxes.

Tyres - I hate P Zeros - they are very hard wearing for trackdays but do not seem as good as other tyres in the wet. Toyo Proxies are great tyres - I've had 8 sets in total on my scoobs. When I upgraded to 18" wheels there were no 18" proxies in the country - so I went for Yokohama AVS Sports which have a similar tread pattern - they have been excellent.

Hope that helps you a little

Ian.

[Edited by igratton - 1/10/2002 1:35:13 PM]