Sponsored by:

Type R or P1???

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2007, 01:14 PM
scobymad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type R or P1???

Looking at selling my UK Turbo soon and getting a new scoob like the Type R and P1 but cant decide whats the best to go for

Pros to me are P1 is a UK car and a special edition car and Type R has DCCD

Sure theres more between the two please how me decide and give me the pros and cons of both cars

Old 07 October 2007, 01:15 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/search.php
Old 07 October 2007, 01:34 PM
bowsaaa
Scooby Regular

P1's are set up to takcle our sh!te UK roads & the DCCD. . . . well I suppose its another thing to break. Go with the p1 bud you wont be disappointed. Have you had a look on p1woc?
Old 07 October 2007, 01:37 PM
scobymad
Scooby Regular

why is it these days you ask a question and theres always one telling you to use the search option
Old 07 October 2007, 01:44 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

You've been here 3 years, this topic comes up every week!!
Old 07 October 2007, 01:46 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

P1 is arguably the best looking Scoob ever (bar the 22b). 276bhp & it still has 2 cats (I think)! Put a proper exhaust on & you've a beast on your hands. P1 was based upon the JDM STi Ver V I believe. P1's always cause me to turn & watch them drive off.

Type R's are a bit banzai - shorter gearing, DCCD etc. All will be JDM imports of course so you'll need to make sure they've been remapped for UK fuel.

IMHO the P1 looks the better of the 2 & as it's also a UK car I'd go for that. Note that P1's do have a reputation for engines popping so make sure you've a few £k spare just in case.

TX.
Old 07 October 2007, 01:51 PM
scobymad
Scooby Regular

Im NOT looking for info just a some banta about both models to help me dicide if you dont like what ive put or you have read it a 10 times this week then dont reply simple as
Old 07 October 2007, 01:54 PM
UP4IT
Scooby Regular

The way i see it is the p1 would be more to buy as it is rarer than the type r. But on the other hand the p1 will hold its value more in the long run.

Am i right in thinking the p1 has a longer ratio gearbox than the type r also???
If thats the case if you do some mway miles the p1 may be better unless you you just want something for the a road thrash/ trafficlight grandprix than the type r may be better.

I think it would just come down to two things.
1, How much you have for the initial outlay Eg £8000 type r ,£11000 p1

2, which one you like the best as they are both very capable cars.

If it was me id look around and buy the best condition car i could find for the right money.

Just my 2 cents

Paul
Old 07 October 2007, 01:58 PM
scobymad
Scooby Regular

thats a good point what gearbox will the P1 have??
Old 07 October 2007, 02:12 PM
UP4IT
Scooby Regular

Glad to be of service matey. Keep us psterd what you end up getting.
Old 07 October 2007, 02:12 PM
UP4IT
Scooby Regular

Glad to be of service matey. Keep us posted with what you end up getting.

Me and spelling
Old 07 October 2007, 02:13 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Type R is a bit of a handful, especially in the wet. DCCD is 'entertaining' at best. If you want a quick, good looking 2-door car to use everyday, I'd say a P1 (from a Type R owner). If you want the short gearing/manic acceleration, etc, to use on track days/weekend warrior then a Type R.
Drive both and then decide.
Old 07 October 2007, 02:16 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

I had the same descision and chose the P1.

I've had an RA and eventually got sick to death of the short gearing and i knew the Type-R would send me the same way...P1 has same gearing as STi V5. Also, i knew if i bought a Type-R i'd mod it, where-as the P1 being a special edition, would stop me mucking about with it and ruin it's value.
Old 07 October 2007, 03:47 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

Type-R has a few more colors to choose from

dccd donuts...
Old 07 October 2007, 03:49 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

I went throught his choice as well and decided on a STi Type RA.
Old 07 October 2007, 03:58 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by bowsaaa
P1's are set up to takcle our sh!te UK roads & the DCCD. . . . well I suppose its another thing to break. Go with the p1 bud you wont be disappointed. Have you had a look on p1woc?

never heard of any problems with DCCD?

I've had my type r for 3 1/2 problem free years, the only problem with a type r is the gearing on long journey, 80mph is just over 4000rpm, but I've still managed to get over 300 miles out of a tank of petrol and i wasn't hanging about

oh and mines for sale https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...rsion-5-a.html
Old 07 October 2007, 04:08 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scobymad
Im NOT looking for info just a some banta about both models to help me dicide if you dont like what ive put or you have read it a 10 times this week then dont reply simple as
ah, well, in that case, the search option is your friend

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...type-r-p1.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...er-subaru.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...dangerous.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...i-lowdown.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...st-type-r.html

There's a bit of "banter" to keep you going for a while.

I've been here longer than 3 years, and do get sick of reading the same lazy posts from people who can't be arsed actually reading the t&c's of the site before putting fingers to keyboard. I actually did a lot of reading on this site before buying my first scooby, I suggest you do the same.
Old 07 October 2007, 04:15 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ Nice looking car fella (Ron J). Similar to my old STi:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-9/1084300/sub2.JPG

TX.
Old 07 October 2007, 06:01 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

buy the p1,and thats from a V5 typeR owner
Old 07 October 2007, 06:24 PM
Scoobymart
Scooby Regular

I have a type R WRC V6 v/ltd,it's a very good car and faster than my mates P1. I am lucky that i dont have to use it as my main run about, got a TDI GOLF for that. The type R his abit harsh to drive for any length of time and is not very comfortable on long runs, mine does have a longer 5th gear which does help on motorway jouneys.Now my old V5 type R was a nightmare to drive on long runs as it did have the shorter gearing and was quite noisey at 50 mph an on.My mate as had his P1 for about 4 months now and i had never driven a P1 until he bought his.The P1 is a much more useable every day car on our uk roads and a little more comfortable on long journey's so if it's going to be your only car then go for the P1 or if it's a weekend car just out for abit of fun then go for a type R. This is only my opinion guys on havin driven these cars.
Old 07 October 2007, 06:52 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

I luv the TYPE-R altho it is just my wknd car, i have a turbo diesel for in the week and my van for work

TYPE-R more entertaining, altho the low gearing is a nightmare on mways, i find i stick to 60mph on long jorneys

DCCD is also a nightmare in the rain, as i hav eexperienced, altho in the dry, it is an awsome bit of kit, if you find yourself in a bit of understeer, just blip the throttle and kick the back end out!!!
Old 07 October 2007, 06:56 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Isnt your Version 6 a Ltd Edition? In that case its rarer than a P1, only a 1000 made and only a handful over here. Longer 5th Gear roughly the same as the P1. Pricewise no Contest
Old 07 October 2007, 07:18 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Out of the box it's difficult to better a P1, UK setup, 17s etc.

About the only criticisms I could make of it are...
- Turbo spool up point is higher in the rev range (in common with all classic STIs)
- Given the performance, the brakes aren't bomb proof.
- Steering wheel is too big or rack too slow or both.

I'm confused about the gearing issues re. the type R and the P1. I though the later cars were comparable.

Type R....
- More choice of colours.
- Diffs and torque distribution are better for enthusiastic driving.
- Stronger rear drivetrain if looking for big power.

J.
Old 07 October 2007, 07:24 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

I just bought a type R, reason i didnt go for the P1 was it cost more!! - So the best for the money was the type R, yes the gearing is low but thats what the impreza in my mind should be all about. The handling is ace dont be put off with dccd fears.

Enjoy what ever you get
Old 07 October 2007, 08:19 PM
Scoobymart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatmanscooby
Isnt your Version 6 a Ltd Edition? In that case its rarer than a P1, only a 1000 made and only a handful over here. Longer 5th Gear roughly the same as the P1. Pricewise no Contest
Yes! They are very rare only no of approx 10/12 in the country.mine is number 394/1000,I posted a thread on the type R web site and only managed to track six down in the uk but some one recons there are about a dozen in the country.
Old 07 October 2007, 08:50 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by scobymad
why is it these days you ask a question and theres always one telling you to use the search option
Because this exact subject has been posted probably over a hundred times and it always ends the same way.........
Old 07 October 2007, 09:37 PM
scobymad
Scooby Regular

some good idears there its only a 2nd car as was my uk 2000 but i must admit i am worried about buying an import so im try to also face my fear by asking the people in the know (u guys)

as for the poeple who disagree with me posting this thread i really dont get your problem im on scoobynet to talk about scoobys im currently looking at spending upto 12k on 1 so i want to talk to the guys that have driven and own these 2 great cars surly this is 1 thing scoobynet is for?? i could understand if i asked how to fit a dumpvalve or undo a wheel nut but my question was the pros and cons about 2 cars and then have a chat about it and if every 1 only used the search button there would be know more posts
Old 08 October 2007, 08:28 AM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

i have has 2 p1s and a type r (current). I used both as daily drivers - 500 miles plus a week including half of this on motorway. Type r is noiser and more tiring, but ultimately more fun to drive.

p1 looks fantastic - still today but the steering wheel is far too big and cumbersome.

servicing - type r is cheaper and nothing has really gone wrong in 20000 miles.

both my p1s had no engine probs whatsoever in 75000 miles of travelling.

have not seen another type r in over 2 years - a couple of p1s around most weeks.

love them both. if i were to change again, i would go for the type r and make it look more like a p1 as i think the front looks too high - needs the p1 splitter to make it more aggressive at the front.

type r is the only car to ever have matched my evo fq330 for speed and excitement - but it did get wopped by an evo fq 340 6 months back but that could have been down to a knackered clutch. Since the new one has been fitted last week it has transformed the car completely.
Old 08 October 2007, 09:26 AM
T-gro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phildodd06

DCCD is also a nightmare in the rain, as i hav eexperienced,

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

How can a car that allows you to vary the centre diff from open to locked via anywhere inbetween be more dangerous than a car with a simpler viscous coupling?

Actually, I've seen a flaw in that statement. Let me rephrase:

How can a car that allows a driver that has taken the time to understand exactly what the sophisticated piece of kit his car has actually does to vary the centre diff from open to locked via anywhere inbetween be more dangerous than a car with a simpler viscous coupling?
Old 08 October 2007, 09:37 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T-gro
NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

How can a car that allows you to vary the centre diff from open to locked via anywhere inbetween be more dangerous than a car with a simpler viscous coupling?

Actually, I've seen a flaw in that statement. Let me rephrase:

How can a car that allows a driver that has taken the time to understand exactly what the sophisticated piece of kit his car has actually does to vary the centre diff from open to locked via anywhere inbetween be more dangerous than a car with a simpler viscous coupling?
I think you've answered your own question.......... because most drivers don't understand DCCD fully. Yes you can 'just wind it forward' if it's wet, but it does take some setting up. It's not 'idiot proof' like a viscous diff! It's less predictable as you can change the characteristics of the car. And, you'll be travelling at high speed/cornering hard/lots of throttle before you find out!

So, for full bore driving - on the edge, a Type R. Or, for easy (but still realistically as fast) driving a P1.

Quick Reply: Type R or P1???