Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2000, 10:51 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since having the new wheels put on I have noticed a distinct difference in the handling of the car. When driving it feels as if the car is pulling left all the time. Today for the first time in weeks I was able to take it for a long run ... the whole time I was aware of the pull left, the unprecise handling and just a general sense that something wasn't quite right. The air pressure in the tires has been checked so I know I don't have a flat tire but that's almost what it feels like.

I'd be grateful if anyone could offer any suggestions as to what the problem might be.

Thanks guys
P
Old 13 December 2000, 11:38 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

I thought I'd leap in with the most obvious possibility - wheel alignment. Maybe worth spending £15 getting the tracking checked (esp. as you don't want to scrub your new tyres to death!)

Steve
Old 14 December 2000, 12:12 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

If the tyres are uni-directional, have they been fitted the right way round on all four corners?
Old 14 December 2000, 12:18 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

After hitting a pothole, apart from a new wheel, I had the alignment and Prodrive geometry settings checked/set and the car now drives (no power), pulls and brakes in a straight line.
Old 14 December 2000, 07:53 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi P, how are you?

Am I right in thinking that the new wheels went on just after the car was repaired?

If so, is it possible that not all was repaired correctly, or, as above, the tracking may be out as a result.

Would suggest getting a good wheel alignment check.

D
Old 14 December 2000, 08:02 AM
ransj
Scooby Regular

My car is behaving in exactly the same way, pulling to the left and feeling a bit wierd - sort of jumpy.

It started doing it after I had to do some rather heavy braking (big skid!).

I have had the 4-wheel alignment done twice and it is still the same. I'm thinking now that I may have knackered a bush somewhere.

Simon
Old 14 December 2000, 08:29 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Ive always found that bigger rims produce this effect, sometimes changing the tyres can do this as well.
Some seem to want to follow the road more than others, and will normally pull left because as a whole roads are cambered (spelling!?) to the left

robski

p.s. well back penni!
Old 14 December 2000, 08:43 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Talking

Black Cat,

To check yourself whether it is just following the camber or you have alignment problems, just go to a stretch of road which is flat and empty and brake gently and firmly whilst only just touching the steering wheel. If the car tugs to the left then it is the alignment and not the camber.

ChrisW.
Old 14 December 2000, 09:08 AM
chacha
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

I had the same problem on my car and the wheel alignment did not help. In my case it was a tyre that was causing it. Visually there was nothing wrong with it either. The way to check it is swap front wheels and see if the car starts pulling right. I ended up replacing one of my front tyres with the spare and now it is Ok.
Hope this helps,
Vano