Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fog-lights - lose the Va-Va Voom

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2002, 10:01 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My appologies that this is not directly Scooby related, but I believe it to be of general interest.

A lot of list members seem to have similar thinking to me with regards to the overuse of front fog lights, i.e. it pi$$e$ them off.

You may also agree that the muppets who run the country seem to be more interested in cutting down on one aspect of "bad" driving (i.e. speed) more than any other. A thread demonstrating this appeared recently regarding the forced removal of posters for the new "High Caffeine" MG cars, because the blurry images "suggested" high speed.
Well, I believe there is an opportunity to make a bit of a stand on both these issues.

Below is the text of a letter I will be sending to the Independent Television Commission tommorrow. As compaints seem to be given more credence the more people they come from, I would appreciate it if you could all send similar letters yourselves, if you agree with the sentiments.

If I'm on my own, please consign this post to the Muppet forum

ITC
33 Foley Street
London
W1W 7TL

To Whom It May Concern,

Re: Renault Clio “Lost Your Va-Va-Voom?” Commercial

I would like to register a complaint regarding this commercial which has been shown on various commercial television channels including ITV1, Channel 4 and Sky 1. It is likely to have been shown on other channels also.
The commercial consists of a rather sad gentleman changing the sheets on his bed who is spotted by a surveillance camera. A Renault Clio is dispatched to his residence, presumably in an attempt to suggest that the car would increase the amount of excitement in the gentleman’s life.
My objection is that the car is clearly driven on public roads in clear conditions with its front fog lamps on, and that the commercial in effect condones this behaviour in other road users. Section 21a of the “ITC Code of Advertising Standards & Practice” states that “No advertisement may encourage or condone dangerous, inconsiderate or competitive driving practices or breaches of the Highway Code”, and Rule 211 of the Highway Code states that “You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 201) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.”

I believe this is a clear contravention of the Advertising Standards, and that the commercial in its current form should be removed.

Yours Sincerely,

<Insert Name Here!>
Old 05 January 2002, 10:45 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Exclamation

yes very good.

Phil
Old 05 January 2002, 10:59 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Well spotted and well done... my mind usually turns off when that ad comes on!
Old 05 January 2002, 11:01 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

nice one!
Old 05 January 2002, 11:13 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

"Up the Revolution"!!
Old 05 January 2002, 11:31 PM
Larry_L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Up the bum!!
Old 05 January 2002, 11:52 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Fair play - got my vote to!
Old 05 January 2002, 11:58 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Couldn't agree more.
Old 06 January 2002, 12:10 AM
ChrisB

There's a Ford Galaxy ad that also has a Galaxy with fogs on.
Old 06 January 2002, 12:14 AM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Wink

You don't get out much, do you!
Old 06 January 2002, 04:03 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nice 1 DH,

Now how many copies should i send

Pete
Old 07 January 2002, 12:02 PM
Canuck
Scooby Regular

Ah, this raises another open question.

What is the difference between fog lights and driving lights? apart from the "fact" that
1) Looks are cool
2) One comes on with the main beam
3) Looks are cool
4) Both irritate the s#$t outa me and I don't know why but am concerned that this is a "Deputy Dog" mentality.

Keeping on the main theme of this thread I would say that this is worth a shot but wonder whether the argument breaks down to my question.

Canuck
Old 07 January 2002, 12:07 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

There is a ver clear definition between fog lights and driving lights concerning Beam pattern, bulb strength and when they can and cant be used. It seems that almost without exception BMW and Peugeot drivers have no idea at all about the difference.

In short Foglights can be used with normal beam/sidelights and have a very low beam pattern, Driving lights can only be used with main beam and have a higher narrower beam pattern

The wife has got sick of me swearing at the TV when that Add comes on

I shall write aswell

Deano
Old 07 January 2002, 12:10 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'm sorry but I can't believe you are that bothered as to write a letter of complaint. I find people who put their front fog lights on in clear weather mildly anoying, rear fogs more so but It is nothing to get me wound up about.

If it bothers you that much then your letter is well constructed and deserves to be given the attention of the advertising athority.

Just MHO
Old 07 January 2002, 01:28 PM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

I agree with the bloke from Leeds! To be perfectly honest it's only really misaligned lights that irritate me....

Still I would be interested to see how you get on

Old 07 January 2002, 01:32 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Its the pink flashing light that bugs me more - but I certainly agree with the context of the letter.
Old 07 January 2002, 02:21 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

If its any consolation I drive a Clio 172 and I have actually used the front and rear fog lights twice in the six months since I have had it. The ad hasnt got to me (and wont cos unneccesary fogs annoy the cr@p out of me).

I have even gone to the lengths of devising a front mounted high-powered air pistol, with HUD sights projected onto the windscreen that automatically focus on front fogs when visibility is clear, and fires a couple of pellets and takes out the bulbs. Next week i have an audition for the A Team. Fool.

Dave
Old 07 January 2002, 02:48 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

dharbige - dont forget to also send it to...

Advertising Standards Authority
2 Torrington Place
London
WC1E 7HW
Old 07 January 2002, 02:56 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Wink

Druddle

If you actually hit what you are aiming at you will never be allowed in the A-Team.

You have to bounce the rounds/pellets harmlessly next to the side of the vehicle you are shooting at.

Of course this will have the effect of flipping the vehicle next time it goes past a bush!

Mark
Old 07 January 2002, 03:17 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah, I spotted that. AND it is exactly that sort of little hatch that does it most (Saxo 106 etc.)

So back to my "radical" suggestion of a motion sensor that switches ALL foglights off once the car gets above a certain speed (say 30 or whatever) since you can drive at that speed, it can't be too foggy?

OK OK some planks drive at 70/80 in fog. But fog lights aint gonna make a difference to them, they just encourage them to do it. If their fog lights went off, they might slow down a bit.
Old 01 July 2002, 03:30 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all your comments guys. It seems I may not be alone...

Leigh - I actually get out quite a lot - and see lots of cars with their front fogs on ALL THE TIME!!!

STi wanna Subaru - It's not like I'm apoplectic or something. It annoys me more that speeding seems to be considered less socially acceptable than child molestation, whereas other forms of inconsiderate driving are almost regarded as cool or trendy.

BuRR - we just had a vote in our office and concluded that the light is actually purple

druddle - The ASA is for non-broadcast media only. Complaints regarding posters featuring cars with fog-lights on should be sent there

To all who think I'm really sad for doing this: It only took 5 minutes to write the letter - it's taken much longer sending the posts to Scoobynet. Not that that is much of an excuse.

To paraphrase (badly!) Edmund Burke -
"All it takes for bad driving to triumph is for good drivers to do nothing"

[correctly spelling]

[Edited by dharbige - 1/7/2002 3:31:56 PM]