Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just been caught speeding.....

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 03:20 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it was eventually going to happen, no matter how careful i have been, today i got caught doing 43 in a 30. Wrong i know but so easy to do. Police officer was using hand held radar gun and would not let me off with a warning.
I questioned the calibration of the unit and was told that it is tested anually and shown a sticker with next August date. When i asked how it is tested daily she said that she used a tuning fork and pointed it at the sky, but never recorded the test...is this true ?
Does anyone know of any sites that can detail procedures for catching motorists speeding using hand held radar guns.
Also, how does 3 points effect insurance renewells or does it depend on the insurance company.
Old 07 January 2002, 04:59 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Thanks, have just checked out the site and looks as though i will have to accept the fine and points. Must now try not to have another lapse in concentration.
Old 07 January 2002, 05:03 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 points dont worry toooooo much.

been getin some quotes of the web and the last time i tried with and without my 3 points. (tried quote withouts point just to see what effect it would have) no change i mean not a pound more.

S.
Old 07 January 2002, 05:07 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

the tuning fork is not a test, there should be a run through with a vehicle to verify the accuracy of the device this should be recorded, Ask for all the information that is available before you make you choice of plea
Old 08 January 2002, 07:48 AM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Thanks nevr, i use equipment that requires frequent calibration which is why i questioned the officer. It's my first points so i consider my self lucky to have driven for so long without any. However if they haven't followed their testing procedure i would be interested in finding more info. Off to a speedtrap site for some more advice.
Old 08 January 2002, 09:09 AM
ga33a
Scooby Regular

Hi Lewegie,

From what I remember, they need to provide proof that the equipment has been calibrated that day.

You can also ask to see a certificate to prove that the operator of the gun has been trained correctly in its use.

Mind you, if you didn't speed, you wouldn't be worried about the legal stuff

Cheers

Gazza
Old 08 January 2002, 10:56 AM
edthelivinded
Scooby Regular

Cool

I feel sorry for you mate, but it may improve when they reveal where the speed cameras are on motorways, however for rural areas there is no hope for us. The best way to get away with it I reckon is as soon as you see a car with a radar gun, pull into (if possible) a lay by and then fake your puke.

Another good tip is to look out for helicopters they also can pick you up for speeding!!! BOLLOCKS!!!!
Old 08 January 2002, 11:37 AM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

I have a detector that sounded as soon as the hand held radar hit me, however they only took the single speed rather than after i had hit the brakes. I did look for a junction to pull into but had just missed it and thought i would have looked rather silly hitting the wall trying to make it.
Old 08 January 2002, 12:41 PM
Murray53
Scooby Regular

43 in a 30!

Take your punishment, no sympathy here!
Old 09 January 2002, 12:51 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Angry

I really don't know why anyone bothers posting these anymore.

All you ever get is a raft of conflicting opinion on whatever question you've posed followed by some holier than thou tvvat who can't resist telling you they've no sympathy for the heinous crime you've committed.

Well all I can say is that if they only ever drive within the speed limit (which of course we all know they don't, because no one does!!!) what are they doing hanging round on a bulletin board for a car that is primarily sold on one criteria - performance.

Honestly, it's enough to make a man eat his young,

tiggers.
Old 09 January 2002, 08:27 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Angry

bulletin board for a car that is primarily sold on one criteria - performance
You would hope though that people have the sense to use the performance in the appropriate place. I will hold my hands up and say that I don't stick to 50, 60 and 70 speed limits quite as rigidly as PC Plod would like, but 30 limits are (usually) there for a reason - a residential area etc. And what happens when there are accidents in the 30 limits? Speed humps and 20 limits - f'ing marvellous.
Old 09 January 2002, 08:44 AM
Johnny Alpha
Scooby Regular

Cool

30, 40, 50's stick to the limit! Any prat can speed in these...

On the Nationals it's open season!

If you're gonna get caught speeding do it right!

Old 09 January 2002, 08:49 AM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Know what you mean tiggers but i don't worry about a bit of conflict. If Murray thought i was looking for sympathy then let him think that. And the topic of how some 30 limits are there for a good reason and how some seem to be completely unjustified, well i'm not going there, its been discussed many times before and i think we basically all agree.
My post was to check to ensure that the PC was implementing the speed check using tested calibrated equipment, and as these were my first points, what effect they had on your insurance.
SWRTWannabe, have to agree with all you say.
Old 09 January 2002, 10:02 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Lewigie.

You may find some help at these 2 sites:
www.speed-trap.co.uk
www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Check out the ACPO guidlines (UKSpeedtraps site I believe).
These are the rules by which the Police force agree to operate their speed detection equipment. It details all the calibration requirements for all types of equipment.
I was initially suprised that you were done on a single speed reading as I'm given to understand that 2 readings are taken for comparison. Perhaps the 2nd reading was taken and didn't suit?
If you go to court you could mention this. You could also say that you had all your windows down with your radio full on and were on your way to the garage to get your loose front numberplate fixed. Then remind the judge of the latest findings on radar detectors in Germany and cite that as the reason for the inaccurate reading.

I went down the road of challenging a 53 in a "40" (a very dubious wide open dual carraigeway with no residential housing close by type of 40 just after a 60 if you know what I mean) and in the end I caved into the Police force's very carefully structured duress (take 3 points and £60 or go to court).
As someone who is law abiding at heart (I mean real laws not these money making scams) the thought of going to court filled me with a sense of dread and a little shame as well. I suspect that is why so many other people who have never so much as taken a sweet from a pick'n'mix counter in Woolworths or had a parking ticket are also happy to avoid the trauma of sitting in front of a judge.

If you can't find the ACPO guidlines then I have a copy that I can mail to you.

Incidentally, I won't damn you for your 43 in a 30 as I wasn't there and wouldn't be able to judge whether you are a reckless hooligan or a good driver who was merely driving within the capabilities of the car and the context of the road. (I think they call it discretion, which is something that the Robot Police Army seem to have had removed from their programming).

Ah that's better.

Neil.
Old 09 January 2002, 10:35 AM
BaldyMan
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hey there,

Alot of good comments, however at the end of the day if the Police sorted out their own rules and officers (who very rarely stick to the limit), then everyone would know exactly where they stand.

You can get pulled doing 40 in a 30 one day and get away with a warning, the next day same cop, he's had a bad day, will book someone for doing exactly the same.

Thats a system that works is'nt it.......NOT!

And if you are a young lad, with short hair, 'how dare you have a flash car' said the police man, we're going to stop you at least 4 times a week for doing absolutely nothing.

It's all a game lads 'n' lasses, and if there is no fun, whats the point in playing.
Old 01 July 2002, 03:44 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

It happens to everyone eventually. I got caught doing 43 in a 30 and got a fine + 3 points. It made no difference to my insurance but make sure you tell them. The tuning fork is acceptable but I think they should record the results as to prove it has been done. A good site to check is http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk.

[Edited by sillysi - 1/7/2002 3:45:08 PM]