Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice and price on damage please ...

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2007, 09:47 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice and price on damage please ...

Yesterday my car was hit by the door of a rental van being collected from my work premises, driven by a rental company employee.
The alarm went off, but by the time I got down there, he had driven off after checking the car quickly.

It turns into a long story here, but in short, I called the company, received a call back from them today apologising and agreeing to pay for any damage. Its a pin dent mid way along the front driverside wing. But noticable.

This afternoon the driver comes back with 2 of his mates, asks to see me and starts trying to mock me and intimidate me into not claiming. Bollox to that, so I told him to do one after an discussion, and phoned the company back to complain about them.

During the discussion he bounced the bonnet of the car with his hand a number of times, trying to say that thats all he did to trigger the alarm. Another one of the guys still bouncing the bonnet finally triggered the alarm.

This was all reported to the rental company at the time.
On getting home tonight and checking the bonnet, it appears its dropped in the middle, no longer flush with the wing, where he was pushing on it.
I had pre warned the company there may be damage, and they are also willing to pay for any damage he has done...

So....
1/ would you accept a PDR repair on the wing, or want it replaced. (might seem extreme to some)
2/ would you want the bonnet sorted.
3/ to sort the bonnet with a gentle bend in the middle would you recommend replacing it ..

and finally 4/ How much roughly is a new wing and bonnet sprayed and fitted on an 02 WRX

lol
Old 10 May 2007, 09:58 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Would def want everything replacing.

Not sure on part cost but prob £200-250 labour/paint
Old 10 May 2007, 10:00 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

new parts are going to cost a fortune, ally bonnet from subaru, cant see you getting much change from 1k by the time thats sorted.

Wing, ad be carful here, never seen them for the bugeye, but i know for the classics there are lots out there that arent genuine parts, steer well clear from them, the fit on some is horrid to say the least.

You would be far better taking it to a body shop at the weekend and getting a price done, try 2 or 3 places but tell them you are paying for it and not an insurance company
Old 10 May 2007, 10:01 PM
Scooby Regular

what a tosser!youve got more patiants than me ,i would have chinned the **** when he came back mates or no mates.hes took the ****,replacement panels not filler mate .its the least they can do.the dick wants sacking.goodluck...alan
Old 10 May 2007, 10:03 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, this is the sort of advice I need, having never repaired a scooby before

The bodyshop I use are preparing a quote based on the wing at the mo, I will get them to add the bonnet tomorrow, and in the meantime talk to the rental company claims people who have been amazing so far, and pre warn them that the bonnet is being added. She was fine about it on the phone, and said she would personally accept nothing short of perfect.
Old 10 May 2007, 10:10 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1168
what a tosser!youve got more patiants than me ,i would have chinned the **** when he came back mates or no mates.hes took the ****,replacement panels not filler mate .its the least they can do.the dick wants sacking.goodluck...alan

Cheers Alan. Spoke to the boss at the depot this afternoon, he was called from a meeting with a director, he was fuming to say the least. The guys in question are eastern european, and from an outside contract company. I have his word they will not be working there again.

As for patience, I managed to keep it together last week when a recovery van pulled out infront of me, putting me sideways and sliding down the road. This arsehole was just another of many in London.

Repair wise, I will only accept new panels I think, although I can see it getting dragged out if its THAT expensive. Planning to get the bumper redone at the same time lol. It was mint before they turned up hitting it with a van door and their hands, so it can be put back to mint.
Old 11 May 2007, 09:58 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Just got the provisional quote thru for replacement of the wing, all required blending etc....

£774 !

They aint gonna be too pleased, especially when I point out that the bonnet is damaged too now.
Old 11 May 2007, 10:03 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

You should have called the police, I would have. Him and 2 mates bouncing on your bonnet!!
Old 11 May 2007, 10:50 AM
Leebo77
Scooby Regular

Not been lucky recently have you mate?

Don't know how you stopped yourself from chinning the fker.

Good luck.
Old 11 May 2007, 10:58 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Luminous
You should have called the police, I would have. Him and 2 mates bouncing on your bonnet!!
Me to. First thing I would have done. If nothing else, gives you more leverage with the company responsible for thier halfwit employees.

If things don't go according to how you wish, I'd probably seek legal advice. You can't just be threatened like that FFS.

Hope it gets sorted.
Old 11 May 2007, 11:39 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Just got the provisional quote thru for replacement of the wing, all required blending etc....

£774 !

They aint gonna be too pleased, especially when I point out that the bonnet is damaged too now.

That is an awfull lot for a wing replacement
Old 11 May 2007, 11:42 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
That is an awfull lot for a wing replacement
Not for an insurance job it isn't - Which effectviely it is.
Old 11 May 2007, 11:45 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Not for an insurance job it isn't - Which effectviely it is.

yeah I suppose if its insurance, but just seemed a lot
Old 11 May 2007, 11:48 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
yeah I suppose if its insurance, but just seemed a lot
It is a lot.

But then that's why repairers eyes light up when they hear those magic words

"Insurance job"

Old 11 May 2007, 11:50 AM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

id tell them you want £800 cash for the parts, labour and messing about or you will be forced to go through the police/insurance.

makes you wonder why he was so touchy about getting the insurance involved?

hope it all works out buddy
Old 11 May 2007, 01:00 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys

Firstly, just so there is no confusion, yup the car is being quoted on the basis on an insurance claim.
Costing breakdown is something like £75 for parts, £140 for paint etc and £430 for labour.
Apparently the guide for removing the wing inc removal of door and fittings and the front bumper and headlight too. All adds up a guess.

With regards to the incident, its on CCTV which I am making Sixt rentals aware of. Also was pretty quick, so no real time to call the police at this time. However if proceedings dont go as I hope then I will advise Sixt and take the relevant action against them via my insurers.

Luck, hey man thats my middle name

The incident regarding the visit from the 3 guys has been reported to their employer and 2 have today been "let go"
Old 11 May 2007, 04:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Let's hope they don't come again looking for revenge

Fekking Eastern Europeans...........

Alcazar
Old 11 May 2007, 04:52 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

send the f"cukers back where they came from stinky mo fo's.
Old 11 May 2007, 05:13 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol im not gonna get into a debate of nations, but it was very trademark from whats been said about their gang behaviour etc.
If they wanna be like that about it thats fine. Burn my car..... an eye for an eye!

There has been no comeback yet, but something tells me its not over yet.

Sixt rental have fallen silent now about the claim. Since I sent the fax over with the price and then mentioned the bonnet, its not been handed over to someone else to look into. I will pop some links up to the pics of the damage. Its really nothing major, but this is a battle of principals.
Old 11 May 2007, 05:20 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Pic of the dent .....
http://gallery.csoc.co.uk/albums/use...10004/dent.jpg

Look closely, its there honest.

Now of the damage to the bonnet. You are looking for the difference in gap between the bonnet and wing on both sides. Drivers side is the one that was being hit.

http://gallery.csoc.co.uk/albums/use...28Large%29.JPG

http://gallery.csoc.co.uk/albums/use...28Large%29.JPG
Old 11 May 2007, 05:37 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

a wing is £70 and the bonnet from the dealers is £300 plus painting say £200 so it would be a £600 job
Old 11 May 2007, 05:40 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
a wing is £70 and the bonnet from the dealers is £300 plus painting say £200 so it would be a £600 job
Cheers for the panel prices mate.
Sadly for the people paying for it, the bodyshop are charging £775 to supply, spray and fit the wing.
The price of the bonnet is better than I thought, so for the money I would rather have a new one, than have mine gently bent back.

I can see it all dragging on somewhat, especially now I have said about the bonnet after faxing over the 775 quid quote.
Old 12 May 2007, 04:37 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Spoke to my insurers a couple of hours ago, and the story goes as follows.

As I had admission of liability and agreement to pay, they have stitched themselves up royaly, but it dont end there.
I am to carry on chasing them up for the repair, and can have the work carried out at a garage of my choice, but they are permitted to inspect the car.
As long as the quote is from an approved repairer VBRA etc, then the price they quote is "appropriate" and cant really be haggled with.
The damage caused by the driver with his hand hitting the car the day after the door incident IS part of the claim, but can be requested to be dealt with seperatly by Sixt. However that will work out more expensive.

I should continue to pursue the claim myself, however if the trail runs cold, my insurer will take over, and are 100% confident in making 100% recovery of the repair costs

Last edited by Snazy; 12 May 2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12 May 2007, 04:49 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Hopefully you'll get it sorted mate.

Old 12 May 2007, 05:01 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cheers bud, looks hopeful, always nice to get the thumbs up from my insurance too If they know they can claim, Sixt's insurance department will know the same and hopefully cough up.

My insurance were very happy to hear I have official emails from Sixt stating....

I look forward to receiving your quotation for the repair of your vehicle and can assure you a swift settlement in this matter.

Once again I can't apologise enough for the inconvenience that has been caused.
And other such comments like, to seek a quote for panel replacement and not go down the PDR route as thats not always that good.

Fingers crossed I will hear something positive sometime next week, and it never becomes an official claim
Old 15 May 2007, 11:57 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Quick update on all this.

Just heard back from Sixt who advise their manager agrees there is damage to the bonnet of the car and they just need a quote from my bodyshop to ok the claim. Its all being dealt with as one single claim, and will be settled the same way.

Im waiting for it to all fall apart and them ask for it to go to their bodyshop, but in all honesty, as long as the car comes back sorted, I really dont care