PPP - Fuel Pump Type?

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2007, 12:22 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP - Fuel Pump Type?

Hi,

Was wondering if I read right that the PPP upgarde comes with the Walbro pump (so there would be no need to upgrade it)?

Thanks,

Fz
Old 03 May 2007, 07:46 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

High capacity fuel pump is only supplied on the 03STi onwards kits (ie blobeye). Rumour has it that this is a Walbro 255 with the markings ground off and a thick rubber sleeve to reduce noise.

Had my 03STi PPP'd over 3 years ago and at a recent remap at SC it was discovered that the stealer had left an original pump in (as he claimed that Subaru UK had supplied the wrong pump) and charged me £178 for the new one. If you're having a remap don't rely on thinking you have the right pump, it must be checked.
Old 03 May 2007, 10:56 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Its an 05 STi but I am gonna be safe than sorry, doesn't hurt having a higher capacity pump fitted, at least saves one upgrade part in the future when I decide to go for more power.
Old 03 May 2007, 11:13 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by finalzero
Its an 05 STi but I am gonna be safe than sorry, doesn't hurt having a higher capacity pump fitted, at least saves one upgrade part in the future when I decide to go for more power.
Thats what I thought. But I read on here, that it can cause overfuelling. I don't see how, as you are not adjusting the fuel pressure, just putting in a more efficient pump.
Old 04 May 2007, 07:47 PM
brens.scoob
Scooby Regular

it should have a sticker in the boot at the side of the removable plate saying that an uprated fuel pump is fitted from factory.
Old 04 May 2007, 08:04 PM
-JUST-POOTLING-ALONG-
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
Thats what I thought. But I read on here, that it can cause overfuelling. I don't see how, as you are not adjusting the fuel pressure, just putting in a more efficient pump.
I am new to this but ,a fuel injector has a selanoid(?) on it that opens , so if the pressure is fine (or higher) it can not over fuel because the lamda sensor differentiates(?) the exhaust gases to control this to the correct setting .Surely this also allows us to fit larger injectors with out a remap or other breathing mods?
If I wrong it is because I am still learning but this surely the best way for a ecu to run?
Old 04 May 2007, 08:36 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by D1CCY
High capacity fuel pump is only supplied on the 03STi onwards kits (ie blobeye). .
Not quite true the 02 Sti didn't come with a feul Pump but was retro fitted about 3 months after and supplied from then on all PPP kits. not certain if they replace Pumps on 05STi onwards PPP.

Originally Posted by -JUST-POOTLING-ALONG-
I am new to this but ,a fuel injector has a solenoid(?) on it that opens , so if the pressure is fine (or higher) (
IIRC the ECU opens the soleniod for a "X"mi/sec will give a certain dose of fuel and as long as the fuel presure is within correct pressure band. if it is too high a pressure more fuel (rich) too Low pressure and less fuel (lean). obviously lean is big problem.

IMHO

Trending Topics

Old 04 May 2007, 09:09 PM
-JUST-POOTLING-ALONG-
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by T5NYW
Not quite true the 02 Sti didn't come with a feul Pump but was retro fitted about 3 months after and supplied from then on all PPP kits. not certain if they replace Pumps on 05STi onwards PPP.

IIRC the ECU opens the soleniod for a "X"mi/sec will give a certain dose of fuel and as long as the fuel presure is within correct pressure band. if it is too high a pressure more fuel (rich) too Low pressure and less fuel (lean). obviously lean is big problem.

IMHO
So mixture is set by fuel reaching combustion and has no upset, how dense the air is , so fuel through the injector is the desiding factor . So "x"(Seconds) is not set by the sensor on the exhaust manifold?
Old 05 May 2007, 10:06 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by -JUST-POOTLING-ALONG-
So mixture is set by fuel reaching combustion and has no upset, how dense the air is , so fuel through the injector is the desiding factor . So "x"(Seconds) is not set by the sensor on the exhaust manifold?
Your correct The ECU Map will determine what "X" milliseconds will be, the X m/sec calculated for that ocassion should be the perfect AFR. unless of course fuel pressure drops and the ECU does not know that and cannot recalculate the AFR because of the drop in fuel pressure.

Depending on engine temp sensors are open loop and some are closed loop and what part exhaust sensor, LAMBDA will play in AFR in normal running IIRC.

The "topic" was about Fuel pumps and not how the ECU determins the Air Fuel Ratio. I was trying to extplain pressure drops and effects on AFR by a underated fuel Pump and leaning out will FUBAR your engine.

IMHO

Last edited by T5NYW; 05 May 2007 at 10:12 AM.