2008 Impreza aimed at the 40+ age bracket

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2007, 06:40 PM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Impreza aimed at the 40+ age bracket

Taken from Nasioc:

In a local Subaru press release which I will try to add here in larger content soon.

Subaru has made comment about the negative comments received regarding the styling of the new impreza and WRX.
Subaru have stated the target market for these new models is the 40 plus year olds.
They claim this is the target age group which will predominantly buy a new vehicle as opposed to the 20 to 39's. They claim negative feedback as posted on internet sites are posted by the age demographic which would typically be purchasing their Subaru vehicles as second or third owners and not buying them new.
Also....
The Builder stated it made the decision to drop the frameless doors based on giving the vehicle a more "solid and plush feel " (taken directly from release).

The Subaru market in Australia claims to be selling approx 800 impreza vehicles a month and would like to try to build that to 1000 per month.
WTF is that all about as if the parking lot from the local old folks home were full of STI´s

They obviously watched Top Gear, when JC done the EVO/ Scooby test in in Scotland.

Last edited by Lee_1075; 16 April 2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 16 April 2007, 06:44 PM
topolino
Scooby Newbie

Well, I'm in my 40s and I think the new Impreza is awful. I think I'll be sticking with my MY00 PPP
Old 16 April 2007, 08:06 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

At 46 I feel that I've done the "Hot Hatch" thing, can't see me in a 08 at the moment but who knows.

Not overly bothered about the WRX moniker, more concerned about what it looks like.

Come on Subaru if your reading this, surprise me.

Allan
Old 16 April 2007, 08:41 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

I'm over 50 and I don't want to be seen driving a Mazda/Seat lookalike. This new one looks ruddy awful - I'll stick with my bug eye WRX thank you.
Old 16 April 2007, 08:58 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

More to the point i think the new car has been developed for the WRC.
Citreon & Ford are running hatch backs, where as the saloons of Subaru and Mitsubishi have been struggling for the last few years.
Nik.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:21 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Red face

40+ here & 4 new Impreza's . Can't see there being a 5th though
Old 16 April 2007, 10:29 PM
thomsop
Scooby Regular

I think their market research may have gone a little wrong, 40+ here too, pick up my new MY07 on Saturday and I wouldn't have bought it if it looked like the 08

Trending Topics

Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

40+ here too,5 Impreza's to date and no intention of getting the new one

....hang on a sec,I said that about the Hawkeye version too didn't I?
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I must admit, there might be some truth in what they are saying. Although most of the people I know that have bought new STi/WRX are under 40. The only people who are going to buy the standard versions of the new Impreza are pensioners It would be an easy move from a Micra.

And as for the performance version No thanks, I did the hot hatch thing when I was a in my teens and early 20's.

But in the end, whatever Subaru's reasons 'THE CAR IS HORRIBLE'. If I wanted a hatchback I'd buy a Clio or a Civic.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:50 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

I'm 41 and there is no way on Gods earth I would buy that!!!
Old 16 April 2007, 11:27 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Over 40 too - that 'thing' is enough to drive me to the dark side
Old 16 April 2007, 11:29 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Over 50 For scoobs and definately not interested in the new WRX it looks Poo, I may be interested in the STi hpoefully will be "Prodrive" styled wide arched mean machine otherwise DON't bother making it

Last edited by T5NYW; 16 April 2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 16 April 2007, 11:35 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Subaru are talking nonsense. Any manufacturer would like to appeal to as many buyers as possible in order to maximise profits. They are only saying that they are focussing on over 40s for a specific reason so as not to lose face. They already have with the 2008 model and they are only now beginning to realise it.

The simplest way out of this is to return to earlier designs and upgrade from there.

Imagine a classic platform set up with the latest Subaru technology has to offer.
Old 17 April 2007, 02:03 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan W

Imagine a classic platform set up with the latest Subaru technology has to offer.
i cant see why they didnt do that to start with TBH, like a fiesta still looks similar to a fiesta from ten years ago, why was there the need to go all radical and totally change its style in the first place?
Old 17 April 2007, 06:23 AM
timuk1
Scooby Regular

I'm over 40 I think the same as most people has said ,the subaru hatch is pants! I think the new Evo is awesome, looks like thats what I will be buying!
Old 17 April 2007, 09:06 AM
rallying1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rasher
I'm 41 and there is no way on Gods earth I would buy that!!!

Same as fella, 41 and they can shove it, Evo for me next.
Old 17 April 2007, 09:14 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Yes, deep in Japan a plan is hatching, and its not at Subaru. Mr Mitsubishi is currently hiring all the shipping containers and boats it can get its hands on, as lets face it, they are about to be selling a lot more cars

I wonder if Subaru will sell off their old distribution network to Mitsi?
Old 17 April 2007, 09:22 AM
scooby,dlm.
Scooby Regular

Cool

im 47 and drive an 03 sti,ppp with a loud exhaust!!!if its aimed at the likes of me,im not avin any of it!!!
Old 17 April 2007, 10:29 AM
rhys172
Scooby Regular

They claim this is the target age group which will predominantly buy a new vehicle as opposed to the 20 to 39's. They claim negative feedback as posted on internet sites are posted by the age demographic which would typically be purchasing their Subaru vehicles as second or third owners and not buying them new.
I'm sure the 40+ customers that they're aiming at will be thrilled to hear that the second hand market won't want to have their cars off them when they're finished . I'd be one of the '2nd owner' group and I certainly won't be stumping up for the b@stard child of a Mazda 3 and a Daewoo.
Old 17 April 2007, 10:42 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rhys172
I'm sure the 40+ customers that they're aiming at will be thrilled to hear that the second hand market won't want to have their cars off them when they're finished . I'd be one of the '2nd owner' group and I certainly won't be stumping up for the b@stard child of a Mazda 3 and a Daewoo.
Absolutely spot on. Also the demographic in the USA (where that comment is aimed) for Subaru WRX buyers is young people in their 20's and early 30's, they bought them in their droves when the WRX apeared for sale over there, prior to that it was the real petrolheads buying the 2.5RS in small numbers and legacy drivers.

The people at the top of Subaru are smoking crack, if they dont get the STi right they are in deep trouble. I wont say whether or not i'll buy an STi until i see it, i wont be buying the lower spec car based on it's looks, and this is coming from an ex Impreza Sport driver who then bought two STi's. Aged 41 too.
Old 17 April 2007, 11:08 AM
Daves99
Scooby Regular

Default 41 and not for me thanks

I have to agree with all who have posted to now, its just not my cup of tea. Yes there are those who will love it, and fair play to them. I think an MY07 will be a good buy now, in light of this, so will be off to the dealer this weekend to have a look.

Just can't see where Subaru are aiming to take the Impreza, as someone in another post on here has suggested change the name. Don't call it an Impreza call it a woobaru alfamaz hatch. I think that covers just about every car its been compaired to till now lol.
Old 17 April 2007, 11:11 AM
MICAWRX
Scooby Regular

Are they trying to go for Hondas 'older age profile' market??

I am mid thirties, well heeled enough to consider buying new... if they bugger up the STi, I will be running the blob into the ground....or consider a 2/3 year newer hawk....

Mad statement...mad manufacturer...

It smacks of Subaru going the Ford slippery slop, by eliminating the aspirational aspect to the car (diluting/binning RS in the late 80's)
(Young lads/ladies buying the older/lower models aspiring to newer/range toppers)

Good luck with that... muppets
Old 17 April 2007, 11:17 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

It sucks that is for sure.

We've lost TVR, Lotus has made another loss this year (as it did the year before). Caterham may be back on their feet again with the replacement Ford Sigman engine instead of the Rover K-series. BMW has got all too refined, sitting in an M3 feels like its a tank. Subaru, well, what can we say.

Not many left now...