Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying car but not being present?

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2007, 07:30 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying car but not being present?

I'm looking at buying an impreza which is 700miles away from me, the car is well known on another forum as being very clean and well looked after. The car is totally stunning.

I cannot get time off to go down and buy it until May.

I have contacted a transportation company and they can deliver the car to my doorstep for £650, £500 if to inverness or £300 if to glasgow.

I'm unsure how the documents side of things would work as obviously the buyer and seller would both sign the log book completing the sale.

And then there is the problem of actually paying for it as i wouldn't be there to hand cash/bankers draft over.
Old 03 April 2007, 07:36 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To be honest,your better off taking 1 day off and do it urself, i mean, why cant u take 1 day off,if ur busy, pick a day u know is quiet, if ur boss is a ****, u had a dodgy turkey the night before etc etc.

i have been there, every1 says the car is mint blah blah, but it wasnt my mint !!!!

6 hrs travelling each way is tiring but worth it if the car is worth ££££££££££££££
Old 03 April 2007, 07:40 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

650 quid to your door!!! ill bring it for 300. ive had 2 imprezas so i know what im looking for. send me the bloody draft ill bring the car. job done
Old 03 April 2007, 07:59 PM
air.mech23
Scooby Regular

I was in a similar situation with my first scoob. Someone else picked it up with a trailer and brought the V5 with them, which i signed once i got the car. The guy wasnt too happy but i politely and pleasantly told him that was the only way it was happening. He'd already got the cash by bank transfer.

Can't you do that? Just get the documents sent with the car and post back to DVLA?

Or just get the time off work. Surely your early enough for May if you book it now?
Old 03 April 2007, 09:30 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

I'd need alot more than a day of my work.. 700 miles thats 1400 round trip. First 700 on Sh*te public transport. I'll have to stay over somewhere, then i'll get lost on the way home which will add another 5 hours to the trip..

I could take a sick day but everyone at my work knows i'm looking for a new car and i'll get shot if i turn up with one after sick.

Leave is no problem for May, its now i need it and cant get it.!
Old 03 April 2007, 09:39 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well,to be honest, u`ve answered ur own question, this car aint meant for you !
my god, id love to sell a car to some1 who was having it picked up for them,no inspection etc, id be laughing !

there were 1 or 2 scoobs i wanted before i got mine, but 1 was in edinburgh the other ireland, i live in gloucester,then, one pops up in haverfordwest.

keep looking for another one more local
Old 03 April 2007, 09:55 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Pay a trusted mate to go and get it for you. The amount of bribery will depend on the level of friendship. Personally, I would start with beer, offer more beer, and then strike a deal

As for the car, if you are sure its fine then all is sorted. If not, then you could consider paying for a professional inspection (and that will give you some come back if they miss something you later have to pay for). You, or you friend would not have to be present at the time of the inspection. You could wait for the report to come through and then go and collect.

Personally, if you really want this car. I would try and get a friend to go there when the car is inspected. Speak to the guy who looked at it over the phone, and OK the transaction with your mate if you are happy. Make sure you mate is insured to drive it
Old 03 April 2007, 09:59 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

What about doing it over the weekend ?? This weekend is a four dayer - two bank holidays !!!!