Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A lot of questions, apologies in advance....

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2007, 04:35 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A lot of questions, apologies in advance....

Hi,

After driving all other alternatives I have decided on getting an STI, however, I have a load of questions that hopefully a few of you chaps may be able to shed some light on.

Firstly I will be coming from a Honda Civic Type R, which I still love, its a fantastic car, I have always wanted an Impreza STI and since I have just turned 23 and have racked up 3 years NCB, it seems the costs are just about bearable. Currently my insurance is £850 and I spend between £80-120 per month on fuel as I only cover around 550 miles per month.

Now the questions:

What insurance company seems to be the best in catering for Sti's and young drivers?
I have had a quote off elephant of £1250, which didn't seem too horrid, although I have been told to give A Plan and A Quote a call?

What kind of fuel usage am I looking at? I have heard loads of conflicting reports on fuel usage for Sti's, obviously driving style comes into play a lot but on the whole what am I looking at to a tank of £50 to fill up?

I am in two minds whether to go for an older shape STI PPP on one of the last reg, a 05/55 were the last ones, correct me if I am wrong here. Or I may go for the new shape STI non PPP on a 55/06 plate. I am looking at spending up to £20000. What would you advise?

What is the consensus on what car is better, an old shape STI PPP on a 55 plate or a new shape STI non PPP? I won't be able to afford the new shape STI with the PPP fitted but can afford a 55 plate old shape STI with the PPP. What is the power difference like as I think the old shape is 305bhp with similar torque figures, whereas the new shape is 285bhp without the PPP. Does that extra 20bhp make a lot of difference?

Basically what car is worth getting out of the two considering everything, power, handling, ride quality etc?

The tax band will be different for each car so for the older shape am I looking at around £200 and for the new shape £300 per year?

I have been told that the servicing costs are around £700 spread over 3 years, is this correct?

With regard to warrenty, if I bought a 55/06 plate I will be looking at having a year and a half of warrenty remaining but I have also been told that Subaru offer an extended 2 years warrenty for a cost of around £500, this seems pretty good, is this correct?

Finally for each of the cars that I have mentioned are there any common faults that I need to look out for? It seems to be the case that Impreza's seem pretty bullet proof which is nice.

Thank you for all your time and I apologise for all of the questions, as with yourselves I am well into my cars and just want to know everything before I bite the bullet.

Cheers

Greg
Old 24 March 2007, 05:06 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Can't answer all your questions, I'll leave that to the guys with the newer cars as I've got a classic with PPP.

However, with regards to insurance it may well be worth speaking to Moley_WRX (otherwise known as Gary, works for Keith Michaels insurance) who can regularly be found on the insurance section of this board, either that or PM him. He did me a great deal and is highly rated with regards providing competitive insurance. Other companies that people on here seem to rate highly with regards Scooby insurance are Greenlight and A-Plan. Have a read of the insurance section.

With regards petrol, obviously it depends on driving style and what fuel you use.. but i drive a little more than you per month and I'd estimate my fuel bill to be closer to the £150 mark but in general i only use V-Power. Don't know if the newer models are any more frugal on petrol, probably are a bit but not much I'd guess.

You do realise you can always add the Prodrive pack at a later date should you buy the newer model (i.e when funds allow). Fitting it later still leaves your warranty intact.

Regarding road tax, you are correct for the 55 plate model you would only pay the Band F rate of tax (around £210ish). However the new model will be lumped into Band G costing £300 (and £400 next year by all accounts).

That's about all I can tell you

Last edited by swampster; 24 March 2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 24 March 2007, 05:11 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that mate, at least you managed to answer a few.

Thanks for the tip on Insurance there, i have already spoke to Greenlight as I am with them currently and they will only insure me on an Impreza with a value of £12000, you have to be over 25 to be entitled to all of their benefits, which is a bit of a pain.

I'll give A Plan a go though, I was quite pleaseed with my £1250 from elephant considering my age, NCB and the fact that i just incurred an SP30 penalty for doing 36 in a 30.

Cheers

G
Old 24 March 2007, 05:21 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

In a very brief summary.........................

Personally I would go for a nice low mileage 55 plate or similar. Have a look at the for sale section.(Already lost initial depreciation)

With regards PPP it makes a very noticeable difference. A must imo.

If fuel costs matter that much don't buy a Subaru. It will obviously cost you more than the civic but then you will be travelling faster.

A plan and Keith m should give you the best quotes possible.
Old 24 March 2007, 05:25 PM
rasheedn
Scooby Regular

y not a jspec STi ? or C spec? u can get one for 20k
Old 24 March 2007, 05:30 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Cheers lads!

Fuel costs aren't a huge issue, I just wanted to have a general idea on costs before I purchase.

What is the difference between a standard STI and a C Spec?

Cheers
Old 24 March 2007, 06:15 PM
rasheedn
Scooby Regular

JDM or jspec STI is better than the UK car, got a better turbo and other goodies like HID...

C spec is a jdm STi on diet and a better turbo intake manifold different gear ratios ...

i am sure there's a list somewhere with the difference

but the JDM car is the one to go for
Old 24 March 2007, 06:40 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

A JDM import is likely to cost more on the insurance though isn't it?
Old 24 March 2007, 06:49 PM
scoobyfrankie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swampster
A JDM import is likely to cost more on the insurance though isn't it?
Defo more on the insurance mate, better car though
Old 24 March 2007, 07:08 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Jap STi's are at least 300bhp as standard so no need for PPP, they also have a better spec than the UK STi's (do a search). If you have £20k to spend look here Stocklist - Performance Centre Manchester PCM posts on here too. My insurance is no more expensive & I've a Spec C from Japan.

TX.

[edit - to see what is special about a Spec C look over there <<<<<<<]
Old 24 March 2007, 08:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Realistically under 25 and your going to struggle, most wont insure a driver under 30 on an STi, very hard to do that on a JDM STI under 30.
To start with, you will get a shock with the fuel consumption, 25-28mpg for an STi on a 70mph run is about average, in town about 17-18mph, also you will find it needs super unleaded and not unleaded, add a few p per litre there.
Servicing costs are considerably higher than that of a CTR, a 3 year service will cost you 4-500 quid, oil change about 150 quid, gearbox oil changes every year, average you about 1k per 3 years in servicing without anything like brake discs (400 quid for a pair on the front) pads (100+ quid front) rear discs (200ish quid), JDM cars require more regular servicing (6 monthly) so that increases costs (plus some insurance co's charge more for a JDM car).
Modifying will either mean you wont have any insurance as the companies wont touch you or you invalidate your insurance if you dont tell them, but really, your going to struggle to get a good quote on an STi at your age, mine was 700 quid fully comp protected and im a little older than you (like 15 years older).

Last edited by TonyBurns; 24 March 2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 24 March 2007, 08:19 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

plug for a fellow member, but this is a great example https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...very-nice.html ticks all your boxes hopefully

fuel wise - around 20mpg

tax - if it's registered before march 06 then it's in the sensible band ie not £300

extended warrenty doesn't cover an awful lot to be honest and will hold you back for mods

whatever you go for it'll be a nice change not having to rag the **** off an engine to go fast
Old 25 March 2007, 12:28 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Tony! You bladdy spoilsport! Go for the JDM fella.

TX.
Old 25 March 2007, 12:57 AM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

mate when i was 24 went from a civic type r to a myo5 sti ppp and i can honestley say i loved my civic but the subaru was just special dont really know why it just was every time i got in my scooby just smiled could not really say that about the civic especisly when it was wet out . yes it will be more to insure run just about every think will cost u more but if u are a petrol head it really probabely will not matter and if it does bother u that much the hole experince will prob be one big head PAIN. go for a late my 05 sti ppp so u have warranty go with a private sale find a minnter give APLAN a call and enjoy.

i have just put my order in also for a spec c Performance Centre Manchester

Last edited by rcwhite; 25 March 2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 25 March 2007, 11:55 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies lads, very useful.

Got my test drive in an 06 STI today, can't wait!!

G
Old 25 March 2007, 12:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Tony! You bladdy spoilsport! Go for the JDM fella.

TX.
Spoilsport? nah just being realistic.
Alot of people just dont understand how expensive these cars are to run, a hot hatch will cost a fraction of the running costs compared to a scoob, basic fact, a JDM will be pretty much uninsurable for most under 30 (all the decent places that will do cover for you, min 30 on a JDM).

If i did a 550 mile journey on A/Mway it use to cost me about 120 quid in fuel (give or take a tenner), in town your looking at 200 quid, averaging 1k a month your looking at 3-400 quid in fuel bills, depending on how you drive and what roads you drive on.
JDM's also have shorter service intervals than a UK car, that adds up, ok its only about 100-120 quid a year extra but it all counts.
Modifying them with a basic remap will go against most people, some insurance co's wont allow this, some will, any changes on a car for a young driver ie wheels will add to their policy, my classic added me 200 quid per year for a set of wheels! not cheap when you look at it.

Basically, rule of thumb for a decent lifestyle, AFTER all your bills and fuel etc has come out, 1k in your pocket will keep you happy, less than that and you wont really have a life (new clothes, holidays, any car problems, socilising etc).

TX, you know how good these cars are on fuel my old Spec c, use to watch that fuel gauge, first 10 miles was ok, wouldnt move, by the time you hit 50 miles you were down to 3/4 of a tank was nice to see the gauge acutally moving whilst driving but it was fun

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 25 March 2007 at 12:12 PM.
Old 25 March 2007, 09:07 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Tony.

I watch my fuel guage too it does move whilst I'm driving. Never noticed this in any other cars!

TX.