Sponsored by:

Decat and Servicing?

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2007, 08:55 AM
erdy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decat and Servicing?

My STI is due its 20k service, is their any issues with getting it serviced at an official subaru dealer as its has a full decat. i.e. are they likely to report it to the authorities?
Old 23 March 2007, 09:55 AM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

report what - there is no legal need to have a cat fitted
Old 23 March 2007, 10:52 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

Actually, in the UK, for most recent cars (from 1992 onwards) the law states that you must have a catalytic converter fitted for MOT purposes.
Old 23 March 2007, 11:19 AM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

no it doesn't - suggest you do some proper research (try a search on here first)

don't have the time to go into all this again at the moment
Old 23 March 2007, 11:24 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

You only need to pass the emmisions test.
Old 23 March 2007, 11:34 AM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

Tony G,

Sorry for my snappy reply - things are a bit hectic here at Damage Inc today. You are almost correct but also very wrong so i thought that for the 100th time of getting on my high horse across Scooby forums on this issue i had better explain.

The following is copied from another site that i posted this too some time ago. We really need a FAQ on here!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do not have to have a cat to pass an MOT test in the UK - no part of the MOT test checks to see if you have one fitted for any car, any age. This is the same for all MOTs computerised or not (the computer systems is just a recording / timing tool not a new test regime(so Hayward and Scott sport cat advertising is way over the top )

However - you do have to pass the emissions test. On pre 95 imports this will be an idle speed emissions test as the MOT requires an exact match on the car to be entered on the emissions tester to get the values. Pre 95 imports will not be an exact match and as such just needs the idle emission test. If the car is in good condition, warm, good spark plugs and clean air filter it may well pass without any cats fitted (your call if you want to give it a go). Fitting the centre cat back would be a quick improvement and if nice and hot will probably pass the test with out the need for the downpipe to go back on

If you ask your friendly local MOT station nicely they can do an emissions test for you independent of an MOT. It takes about 5mins. This will tell you if you need to fit any cats back (you may be surprised to find you pass without) it might be worth doing this a few days before the MOT

You do not have to have a cat to pass an mot on any car - MOTs are conducted in accordance with the tester’s handbook and rules laid down by VOSA - there is no physical check mandated to ensure that a cat is fitted. No part of the car can be removed to check and you can only test what you see.

How do you spot a cat is not present exactly????? (Any resonator section could be a cat) The only way of spotting a decat is when the owners says "I have a decat, will it pass the test" Go ask your friendly MOT inspector to point out in the book that a cat needs to be inspected for presence rather than emissions pass

Why are cats even fitted? - To allow **** poorly tuned and maintained repmobiles to not choke us all with nasty fumes. An emissions test can be passed with a well (or highly) tuned engine (esp. an idle speed test on an older car) without any cat. The test is to determine the emissions not the presence of a cat. I will admit that the emissions are tighter for newer cars so it would be hard (but not impossible) to pass. (for example my STI with a downpipe cat only, from cold passed at 0% CO and 0% particulates - the cat made it better but I am wondering how close to a pass I would have been without it with figures that low)

Example Q&A from MOT tester magazine (to give me a little more back up!!)

EMISSIONS WITHOUT CAT
Q: I own a Honda CRX Civic Del Sol 1992 K reg and I am having a stainless steel exhaust built and fitted. The fitter has said to me because the car is a 1992 model and the law that governs the catalytic converters for the MOT came into effect in 1993, the car does not fall into this law, and I could remove the cat and it would still pass the MOT. Is he correct or will it fail the emissions Test?

A: Your fitter is not quite correct. The MOT regulations say nothing about a vehicle having a catalytic converter. They merely set emission levels which have to be achieved if the vehicle is first used after a specific year. Certainly some cars with every efficient engines could achieve the required emission levels without a catalytic converter. However in your case, if your vehicle’s year is before the break year, then should the cat be removed, in all probability it should not affect the MOT.

The rules:

1. All vehicles in the UK must comply with construction and use regulations (i.e. a cat must be present)

2. MOT rules test emissions (not a check to see if cat fitted) so you can't fail based on not having a cat present as it is not a specific check in the MOT testers handbook

So the bottom line is you do not have to have a cat to pass an MOT (the exam question) but you do have to have a cat to comply with construction and use rules!!

To decat or not to decat - that is the question
Old 23 March 2007, 11:36 AM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

God, i`m bored after that
Old 23 March 2007, 11:43 AM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

Staffi,

Tedious i know but at least accurate (unlike a lot of the guess work on here)

Old 23 March 2007, 11:44 AM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amahrap
Staffi,

Tedious i know but at least accurate (unlike a lot of the guess work on here)

Agree with you 100% was a good read....
Old 23 March 2007, 01:14 PM
erdy
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that amahrap, guess I have nothing to worry about until MOT time.
Old 23 March 2007, 01:47 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by erdy
My STI is due its 20k service, is their any issues with getting it serviced at an official subaru dealer as its has a full decat. i.e. are they likely to report it to the authorities?
Assuming it has a warranty with Subaru UK they will report it to them so that the warranty is voided.