Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2001, 06:01 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

bug eyed wonder

Not sure about insurance companies not charging for change of reg

Mine charged £15 as an 'administration fee'.

Bas

[Edited by Bas - 12/10/2001 6:02:22 PM]
Old 09 December 2001, 11:08 PM
scooby555
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm very interested in buying a private plate direct from DVLA.
Does anyone know how long the transfer process takes, as i want to put the plate on a car i am picking up this coming saturday.
(otherwise will have to insure car with presnt reg then maybe have to pay extra to change docs)
Old 09 December 2001, 11:21 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

The log book for the plate normally arrives a couple of days after buying it
Old 09 December 2001, 11:41 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Best insuring car with present reg as it's unlikely you'll get it all sorted this side of New Year. Doesn't cost anything to change insurance docs but insure with new number before tax book changed and then be really unlucky and need a claim before all sorted the insurance co could reject claim if reg docs not same as reg no quoted to them. Just my advice but best keeping all in order because a transfer usually takes about a month.
Old 10 December 2001, 08:18 AM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

I bought a plate from DVLA a month or so ago.I had it all sorted within the space of a week.This is what I did:

Rang DVLA to confirm plate available, then purchased over the phone with a CC number.

Docs arrived about 3 days later.

Ordered the new plates

My Wife then went to the Vehicle Registration Office and registered the number.

Contacted the insurance company with new reg details.

Job done

Steve
Old 10 December 2001, 08:50 AM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Yep same as Steve

Can take less than a week... once you have the documents go down your local DVLA office... only open in the week and if you go at the right time it can take less than 5 mins!
Old 10 December 2001, 05:36 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Just to add a bit more detail to the above, having done this about 10 times myself over the years.

Take the ownership/retention forms for your registration plate down to your local Vehicle Registration Office VRO, for addresses look at www.dvla.gov.uk. You will also need with your original V5 registration document for the new car (this may take a couple of weeks to arrive if your just buying it now), your insurance certificate showing your chassis number and your existing tax disc(don't forget this as its a right ***** ache if you've parked your car a distance away).

Fill in the vehicle's details on your retention certificate, and hand the whole lot over to the lady behind the counter. They'll go slowly throught the lot in the way only a civil servant can, and eventually they'll issue you your new tax disc on the spot. Once you have that you can go get your plates fitted, and inform your insurance company.

Its dead easy, just try and avoid going to these office towards the end of the month, as they get packed.

Hope this helps.

Trending Topics

Old 10 December 2001, 05:48 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Further to Reffro's post, if you have to take your car's tax disc in with you, make sure you don't leave you car on the public highway with no tax disc. This is because most parking attendants/Policemen are extremely **** about a car being parked without *displaying* a tax disc. Even having a valid disc and not having it stuck to the windscreen is an offence. Don't give them an excuse to extract even more revenue for the government than you are already paying...
Old 10 December 2001, 06:42 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I'm amazed at some of the charges made by insurance companies.
I am sure that i have changed reg details up to 10 times on various vehicles over the years and all it ever cost was the price of the phone call.
Old 10 December 2001, 10:05 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Our insurers charged us £20 for "the paperwork", what paperwork, just tippex out/delete key the old and write/type in the new - load of pants.

Is very quick and easy to do, but does take some time for the new reg. to get onto the records. Got our log book back and they'd even changed the colour of the car for us!!!
Old 11 December 2001, 07:58 AM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Angry

I also have moved private plates several times and have NEVER been charged to change my insurance details. Do you get charged an "admin" fee for changing address details etc? Nope, there is no difference surely. £15-£20 to overtype 8 characters on a screen and print a new certificate. Grrrr