Sponsored by:

P1 Remapped

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2007, 04:12 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1 Remapped

Took the car to Andy Forrest yesterday up in Scotland. I dropped it off with him at around 1pm and me and Gemma went for a wander around the little town. It was absolutely freezing, and there seemed to be nothing to do at all. Luckily Andy said it would only take around a couple of hours so we eventually found somewhere to have something to eat and then wandered around a bit more in Lidl and other weird places like that.

Andy had the record breaking Impreza STi Type R in his garage, said it was looking a bit worse for wear, but it still looked extremely rapid as he was preparing it for the next drag challenge. He said he was hoping for 8's next time around. Yikes.

He said my car was spot on, engine was strong but he noticed I had no covers under my 22B vents so if it rained water could get in to the Induction kit and cause the MAF to spit its dummy out or the car to run a bit lumpy. Again, the K&N was bracketed to the engine, rather than the bodywork, which could cause the MAF to fail due to rocking and vibrations. Handy tips. The only other problem was the engine tray underneath. When the FMIC was fitted, the tray looks like its been cut back to suit. However, due to this, its not fixed centrally so when travelling at speeds above 70mph the air would cause it to hang down and create a flapping noise as it hits the ground. Andy said he had his earphones in while listening to the engine noises so when he took them off he thought he'd run over an eagle or something. lol.

So no major problems at all then. Quality

He showed me how to operate the Apexi Controller, and what it did. Very clever device. I changed the display to knock detection and bid him farewell and we set off home.

Didnt really notice anything for a while, pottering through the 30mph zones and onto the dual carriageway. It was quite busy too with tailbacks due to a tanker being pulled over by the police, so that was a good half hour wasted. When we finally got passed it and onto the motorway I put my foot down and heard the growl of everything combining at the same time. Induction kit, decat, exhaust system, it sounded sweet as the air was being sucked in. I changed gear and heard a satisfying, loud CATSHHHH and then the chatter and flutter through the induction kit. Then back on throttle for more whistling and sucking in air. Repeat process

The 5th gear pull on the motorway is absolutely insane. I thought it was quick already, but the torque now is something else. Shame I had to put up with the flapping noise of the engine tray when 'plodding on' but it wasnt too bad and it'll be sorted today or tomorrow anyway

Getting closer to home, I noticed a 306 GTi-6 sitting on my bumper as I was in the 60mph zone. I indicated to turn left at a roundabout and he did the same. I thought then I would test the full capabilities of this fully operational battle station and put my foot down in second gear. F*ck. Me. Pink. It was damn fast!! The 306 was left for dead as the car spat out noises you associate with rally cars and monster trucks!

The sounds it makes come a close second to the increase in performance. Andy is a top bloke and has done a great job in transforming the animal into a mature beast!
He did say it was on its limits now though, and any more power increase would need injectors and an uprated turbo. I think he said it was pushing out around 900bhp, but that could be down to the air freshener I was using

Overall, well impressed and very chuffed, and massive respect to Andy Forrest.

Pics of the car on Saturday I'd imagine. Really need some black mesh for the FMIC too, as some of the fins are beginning to bend slightly (cant really prevent that though. Pin at the ready! )

Engine Spec :

Front Mounted Intercooler - Pipework powdercoated black
Afterburner Decat Downpipe open neck 3" - 2.5"
Magnex de-silenced centre pipe
Afterburner Vortex exhaust
K&N 57i with custom cold air feed
Walbro Fuel Pump
NGK Plugs
AP Racing clutch
Remapped Apexi Commander ECU

Last edited by Scutch; 08 February 2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08 February 2007, 04:34 PM
slagmagnet69
Scooby Regular

Awesome Scutch, sounds great. I once went in lidl but I was alone and had my hoody up and my hands in my pocket so the security started following me around. GITS.

GLAD YOU ARE HAPPY.
Old 08 February 2007, 05:39 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Andy's like a magician, give him some time with your car and it will return as a fire spitting speed machine.....Top bloke and it sounds as if he's worked wonders on your car too...
Old 08 February 2007, 06:01 PM
typerchris
Scooby Regular

i've been unsure on which ecu to put on my type r in the near future. i have been told to go down the gems route rather than apexi but i've always thought they must be good if andy is mapping them
Old 09 February 2007, 09:34 AM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

lol Jad.

I got the Apexi from Welcome - Nengun Performance

I did search on here and the p1woc regarding the Apexi, and was greeted by many happy replies. Andy is a top guy, obviously knows what he's doing and can give handy tips to help you on your way too. Certainly knows his stuff thats for sure.

I took my mate out in it last night who had a UK turbo and he was VERY impressed. Said the performance was absolutely brutal. It certainly is, it used to be quite a smooth delivery, but now its like a kick up the ar$e off Vinny Jones

Its peaking at 1.5/1.6bar boost too, due to the cold dense air I imagine.
Old 09 February 2007, 01:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder why Subaru don't do this as standard??

Could it be that the Engine will destroy itself in a matter of weeks??

Glad you enjoy it - what does your Insurance Company think of it
Old 09 February 2007, 01:52 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I wonder why Subaru don't do this as standard??

Could it be that the Engine will destroy itself in a matter of weeks??

Glad you enjoy it - what does your Insurance Company think of it
All the mods were an extra £55 on the premium
Old 12 February 2007, 11:49 AM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Didnt realise the Apexi ECU demanded fuel in the tank at all times, or maybe the uprated fuel pumop. Even running just under the 1/4 tank level it is prone to fuel starvation and will kick you back when putting your foot down in lower gears, like hitting the limiter. I thought it was overboosting at first, as its peaking at 1.6bar now due to the cold, dense air. 1.6bar is pretty damn impressive for power and speed, but isnt good in the long run if it keeps it up! Seems to have pottered back down to 1.4/1.5bar now anyway
It feels like a missile, it reaches crazy speeds so easily and you have to take a step back and think about pressing that middle pedal a bit more
Originally, the power delivery was pretty smooth, although passengers would be put back in their seats. It gives my girlfriend butterflies and I get an earache every now and again if she's not expecting it. Now the acceleration is brutal, its still pretty smooth to 3k revs, but the turbo spins up and its like its pulling away from under your ****! lol.

Happy trails.