ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Radar Detectors again

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2000, 12:15 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve,

If you can get hold of the november edition of Fast Car (I didn't buy it....my missus got it me ..honest ) theres a full feature on detectors, including the 990 and Valentine One. If you can't get hold of a copy then I can scan it and mail it, if you want.

DazW.

PS. the Snooper SLD920 did quite well.

PPS. There's also a couple of cool looking rims in there aswell, a 17" Revolution in the same style as the 16" standard and a Wheelwright GT-R in 7"*17" and 8"*17" which looks like an ST2. Right now wheres me puffa
Old 15 November 2000, 12:21 AM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Have a look at
Old 15 November 2000, 12:51 AM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

Take a look at
Old 15 November 2000, 09:48 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Yep its that time again to ask about radar detectors

Should it be Bel 990 or Valentine?

I only asked as I just got clobbered by Laser on the M5 - not happy at all - so I need to get at least a fair chance

Not too bothered about Gatso - as there legality is questionable. So which is the best device out there for Laser and Infrared? - dont they bounce a signal off the car for the VASCAR fix on speed?

If the Valentine is better is it worth the extra £200 or so, and can either be purchased that is NOT a cig lighter plug in job?
Old 15 November 2000, 10:32 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Question

Why don't you get a laserline where they actually place the signal receiver by your number plate as that is where the laser will be directed.
Then,when it goes off, you know you've been caught.
To remind yourself its working, you can get your trusty remote control, aim it at the receiver press and hear it beeping.
Old 15 November 2000, 11:41 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

I've just heard about a great jammer set up -but, for legal reasons I will not be discussing at all

I think I'm opting for the wired in Valentine - pricy - but its supposed to be tops and I dont want any more points!
Old 15 November 2000, 01:26 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

After reading the speedtrap site I am now undecided - there seems no real measure to combat laser if you're by yourself

The jammers look better but I would probably end up in Court - possible sentence?

One interesting aspect was that I was in a Subaru (I will not say who was driving) on a 'fast' 40mph stretch - going lets say above the amount - the police were going the other way, saw the Subaru - did an immediate lock of all wheels and an about turn.

Scooby continued down road for about a mile, whereupon car pulled up on side of road (not double yellows or anything) and everyone got out and stood by car - waiting for 'slower' police Omega to arrive on scene.

What happended next made the said Subaru occupants very happy. Police officers asked evryone in turn who was driving car - all said people said they could not remember - whereupon said officer could only give a warning, as he could not prove who was driving - or the speed that the car was going

Perhaps it pays to have passengers
Anyone else heard of this?
Its onbe of the more enjoyable experiences I had, seeing the enemy - the fact that they seemed helpless - Oh - what a shame - sc*mbags the lot of them

Old 15 November 2000, 02:10 PM
matt_d
Scooby Regular

"Should it be Bel 990 or Valentine?"

Evo also did a test a while ago and the 990 came out top (probably because it's cheaper, since both seemed to work well).

"I only asked as I just got clobbered by Laser on the M5 - not happy at all - so I need to get at least a fair chance"

The main problem is that once you've detected the laser, your speed's already been registered. The only way round it is to get a jammer - they work very well but are probably illegal.

"Not too bothered about Gatso - as there legality is questionable. So which is the best device out there for Laser and Infrared? - dont they bounce a signal off the car for the VASCAR fix on speed?"

No - Vascar is simply a glorified stopwatch they use to time the speed between two points (e.g. those white markers on the road, but they can use road signs or street lamps etc). There is no way to prevent being caught by it.

The Bel is a lighter plug in, don't know about the Valentine. The Valentine doesn't seem to be worth £200 more.

Basically you can only legally protect yourself against Gatsos. A radar detector IMO is worth it to avoid the hassle of having to go to court to avoid 3 points (e.g. by refusing to give the driver's identity, & other legal defences). But it won't keep your license clean if you regularly go way above the limit e.g. 90 on motorways or 80 on busy A roads.

Old 15 November 2000, 02:35 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The Bel966 is allegedly very very good.
It was tested on a bike and came out tops.
Works very well and throughout Europe.
The laser detector you can get installed with the unit works well too but generally speaking, if they zap you with the laser its probably too late already. I did not see the jammer.
I'll try to find the web site or search on Bel 966 and you might be lucky enough to find it. Its also badged as a Vector Europa. Or search some Dutch sites for "stinger".
Or drive on the M25 and your speeding problems are solved.
Old 15 November 2000, 03:41 PM
tizard99
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well how do you get around the one which was trialed on the M25 where your number plate was recorded at one overhead gantry as well as the time, then recorded again at the next one down the road and the time you took to travel between the two points gives your average speed which if over 70mph your nicked!

Relax I said it was only a trial (at the moment). There are too many clever b'Stard out there! And the technology to do it.

"Watch out we will banish fun from your lives". Future quote from the next transport minister of Britain.

Trev.

p.s. Nice one Jeremy Clarkson with the "How to disarm a Gatso with a spray can" on TV the other night, although I can't condone this rather illegal action.
Old 15 November 2000, 03:55 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by tizard99:
<B>Well how do you get around the one which was trialed on the M25 where your number plate was recorded at one overhead gantry as well as the time, then recorded again at the next one down the road and the time you took to travel between the two points gives your average speed which if over 70mph your nicked!

Relax I said it was only a trial (at the moment).[/quote]

The system your on about is called SPECS (SVDD). The trial has finished, its received Home office approval and is now in service. There is no system (that I know of) that can effectivly warn you of its presence or stop it taking a picture of your numberplate.

[This message has been edited by Stuart H (edited 15 November 2000).]
Old 15 November 2000, 04:51 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

I have recently tested the BEL 980 & 990 and they did not detect Laser at all.

I was wondering about a simple solution to the threat of laser and came up with the idea of angling your number plate say 45 degrees downward. Maybe this would deflect the laser beam to the floor rather than back at the gun.

Also has anyone had any real experiance of the jammers and the one that springs to mind is the SLD 920. If o are they any good?

k
Old 15 November 2000, 05:10 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Yes which jammer is best would be interesting - they have tested these on the site mentioned elsewhere on this thread - I dont fancy a 'potential' prison sentence for interfering with the policemans duty!

Presumably is they stop u and say that you have a jammer - but they cant find it - can thye impound the car?, or can they do anything if its not on display anywhere?- if not then I'm all for getting a Jammer!
Old 15 November 2000, 05:36 PM
ChrisB

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>There is no system (that I know of) that can effectivly warn you of its presence or stop it taking a picture of your numberplate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Mark 1 Eyeball might see them in the daylight.

The only other alternative I can think of is if one of the GPS based systems that alerts you to Gatso by location is programmed to alert you when you get near a SPECS site.

Chris.

[This message has been edited by ChrisB (edited 15 November 2000).]
Old 15 November 2000, 07:16 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Steve, buy the 990, its just as good as the V1 but more compact and can also pick up the mini gatsos - the V1 cannot. The other Bells such as the remote one etc havent fared as well in tests

I have the V1

Sunil
Old 15 November 2000, 09:30 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Call Steve on 0403580808 for the best prices on Bell
I think he`s doin the 980 for £250 delivered.