Sponsored by:

What is it with Grit Spreaders??!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2001, 12:53 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] There I was, happily scoobying along, when I see flashing orange lights coming towards me at high speed. I know what's coming, there's no-where to go, and then it hits, I get strafed by rock salt and grit flying out at bonnet hight [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I am absolutely totally freakin mad, my bonnet is chipped, my windscreen too.....they've a job to do sure but why drive so fast???

I'm gonna go mental at the council, better than my first idea which was to chase the b*****d last night and probably end up in jail/hospital....[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 02 December 2001, 01:12 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Oh man, been there.... though not in my scoob. I was in a small hill-climb prepared mini with sliding side windws when I was attacked by a gritter. A hell of a lot of grit and salt came through the side window and straight into my face. It freakin pebble-dashed me
Old 02 December 2001, 01:31 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Fortunately I had my window closed. In a mini your face would be at full impact height, must've taken a pasting!
I'm glad I wasn't on a bike.
Old 02 December 2001, 01:55 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Unlucky!

You should definitely take it up with the council.
Two years ago I was waiting outside a newsagents in a friends brand new Integra Type R. Being icy, the gritters were out.
Even though the car was parked on the other side of the road, the grit from the wagon still covered his car with grit.
It wasn't even my car but I was not amused. I got the reg plate and left it to my friend (owner of the car) to report him.

They've got a job to do, and it is for our safety, but at the end of the day they've to be conscious of the fact that they can cause a lot of harm unnecessarily.
I really would not like to be on a bike if one of those things was coming in the opposite direction!

Andy.
Old 02 December 2001, 01:56 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Agree with you mate, saw one last night driving like a complete tosser. I thought first of all that it was burnsey driving a stage of the RAC rally.

They're complete tossers, and being honest about it there isn't any need for them to drive so fast. I thought about the padestrians that he done whilst driving around. I was fortunately in a hire car so didn't care.

Cheers Phill C
Old 02 December 2001, 03:07 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Angry

The main problem with these seems to be that the grit/salt comes out of the spreader at about 3 feet above the road surface, surely if it came out at about a foot it would still cover the road but wouldn't wreck so many cars.
Old 02 December 2001, 05:46 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

I actually look after 6 gritting lorries on a contract,the spinner is located about 12" from the road and i know from experiance that when these jealous gits see our nice cars they do sometimes over blast the salt.
We have had a couple of instances where the public have written in with instances of their cars being scrached etc etc and the councils always pay up when you give times/dates etc

Darren
Old 02 December 2001, 11:52 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Pete T - exactly, I'm sure this was about 2-3ft off the ground!

Babber - don't mince your words mate, you got it off my chest for me.

Darren - point taken, I shall do just that tomorrow.

Feel better now!
Old 03 December 2001, 01:26 AM
jon44w
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Surely the gritters cant be driving that fast? otherwise theres no need for them.

i think its more to do with the power the spreader blasts the grit out at

it would be interesting to know how many gritter lorries have been wrecked in the last few years