Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a knowledgeable member come forward?

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2000, 04:35 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Well, not many (if anyone here has) driven the new Impreza, i maybe wrong! so thats a bit of a tall order.....EVOS opinion is subjective, just like anyone elses, we'll have to wait and see for ourselves, in the meantime i suggest you go back to Florida and recount your votes if you aint got anything else to do
Old 09 November 2000, 08:44 AM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

Jeremy

Yes, hasn't anybody actually looked underneath the bloody thing yet.

?????????????????????????????????

JD
Old 09 November 2000, 12:42 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Will a technically minded member of SIDC please inform us of the real differences between the past and new Impreza.
That is, get under the body, under the hood, check the suspension, the steering rack etc.
What are the differences, and specifically what causes EVO mag to state that the new car has no raw driving feel and little feel for the road. And help us surmise whether or not the feel can be brought back or if like so many current Audi's no mods will bring back the feel.
Old 11 November 2000, 08:21 AM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

I try not to be controversial in my posts. But come on now, is my question and suggestion really so unimportant as to receive almost no response at all. I thought this forum was made up of true enthusiasts who demand the best performance and handling from their cars? And now that the new Impreza is here and it seems to be a dissapointment, no-one seems the slightest bit interested in finding out how the car has changed and what, if anything, can be done to revive the car back towards its original chassis feel. It would seem time for this discussion to begin.
Old 11 November 2000, 08:34 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

With only a few cars delivered yet I don't hink people have had much time to see the major mechanical differences and what can be done to improve the car. That said the chasis is the area that all the reviews have been raving about.

Scoobysport should have thier MY01 soon so I guess we'll see what tweaks will come over the next few months

AllanB
Old 11 November 2000, 03:16 PM
JohnS

I've driben one, and looked under the bonnet

Driving impressions: Smoother, quieter, more refined and relaxed. Still goes very well, and still very fast. You lose the big kick from the turbo, but the speedo tells all. It is slower above 60mph, but only if you have come from an existing Impreza turbo. Coming from a more "mundane" car, the new one would still feel very fast.

Handling: Feels very taut, handles the bumps well, turn in much better, and feels less inclined to understeer, and with less initial body roll. Apparently the new car doesn't fly quite so well, with more weight over the front axle causing it to land a bit heavier and also land a bit nose down.

Brakes: Same front brakes as before, but bigger master cylinder, and changes to pedal box give a much better feel. Instant response, and no sponginess or free play. Vented rear discs with twin pot caliper at the rear.

Engine - quite a lot of things look different, most noticably the air box. Didn't have enough time to do a side by side comparison. Apparently there are now 3 Cats, including one before the turbo to meet future emissions laws.

Suspension - car seems to ride a bit higher, and it would look better and probably handle even better with a lowered kit on it. I believe all the pick up points are different, so existing suspension kits wouldn't be transferrable.

Exhaust - the back box looks the same, so I guess only minor mods required here (if any) if you were to change this.

Wheels - adequately clear the 4 pot brakes, and use the same PCD etc. I would say that any wheels that fitted the original Impreza with 4 pot brakes would also fit the new car. Not sure if the 17 inch wheels are 7.5 x 17 on 7 x 17 though.

Styling: Front is deifnitely an acquired taste, but does look better in the flesh. Side view is good. Still not convinced about the rear and the spoiler (my own views). I guess Prodrive will come out with some nice mods to subtly transform the looks in the very near future

In my opinion, the new car will be better for 95% of drivers for 95% of their driving, as after all, very few cars are driven hard 100% of the time. The new car would be much more comfortable and relaxing on long journeys, and still devastatingly quick on A and B roads. Given drivers of equal abilities, I doubt if the old car could pull out much of a lead (if any) over the new car under typical driving conditions.

Overall opinion - the car has a lot of potential, and should not be written off yet. Give it a few months for Prodrive (and other tuning firms) to develop some styling and performance kits for it, and the car will be a winner (if you can live with the headlamps, but hopefully Prodrive will come up with a quad spot kit similar to the rally car - hint hint)
Old 11 November 2000, 10:01 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

I driven one... and studied underneath it very well

Also sat in the new WRC car...and got plenty of pics of its engine bay, interior, exterior... and this wasnt at the motorshow

But enough of my bragging....

cya.

J.

Old 12 November 2000, 09:53 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well answer the question then Jay!

And wheres me bits?
Old 12 November 2000, 06:21 PM
Kevin2000
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have been drivin one for the last 3 weeks and its a superior car sunlip.
Old 12 November 2000, 09:42 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

JohnS, and anyone else interested,

I fully understand your comments, but the real crux of my question revolves around not the overall handling or any other aspect of the 01', other than the drivers feel for the road...

It has become apparent that the new Impreza has lost its previous level of tactility- that is the amount of communication a driver receives through the seat and steering about: how much grip is left before a slide, once a slide has begun what messages the car sends up to the driver that indicate how progressively the car is sliding, once a driver wants to recover from the slide how does the car let its driver know how much steering/throttle should be applyed?

In fact, all these interactions between car and driver are never absolutly necessary. A great driver can use his/her skills to hyper-correct a car without the aid of any communication-in fact here in America good drivers do this with Mustang's and Camaro's all the time. But the point is that even these "great" drivers could and do expect more from a car than just great handling, they expect the car to work with them in communicating what the tyres are doing, what the conditions are like and how much steering/throtle input should be applyed during any given corner.

Why do drivers need this level of communication? They do because during those times when it all goes a little light or during emergency avoidences all drivers can have that much more information avalible to them in order to get them correctly back on the road. My words are mere echo's of years of similar views written by top driver/reviewers such as John Barker and Mark Hales/Peter Dron of Fast Lane fame.

So the main question remains. Has the new Impreza become some-what of a Audi A4. A car that cannot be modified to provide feel for the road because too many sub-frames, awkwardly placed steering pieces, and rubber joints have been introduced into the mix which aid refinement but remove any feel for the road?

Thanks for your patience.