Sponsored by:

Identity Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2006, 01:55 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identity Crisis

Not much of a writer but thought some of you may be interested!

Just popped my MY99 wagon in for a service in Norwich (would love to find independent but does not exist in North Norfolk) and they gave me a brand new 'hawkeye' wagon as courtesy car. So what do I think?

Initial impression is a bit underwhelming.

Looks wise I think the nose is better than the two previous efforts but from there back...just doesn't shout rally rep like mine does. But they all look awful so I am not that bothered by the looks.

Interior, well typical Subaru really a little better than the original but frankly not much. The car is obviously better made, the doors close with a half decent thunk.

Driving experience; much smoother, much quieter (almost too quiet) but the engine burble has almost gone, love it or hate it the burble is part of the Impreza's USP. New engine though is powerful feels a lot torquier at lower revs but not much faster, if at all than the old girl. No rattles to speak of unlike mine which sounds like everything is about to fall off! Would be pretty good on a m'way cruise I would imagine but if I wanted that I would buy a Merc and never thought I would say that about an Impreza!

Handled like a slightly grown up version of mine, still felt like a Subaru but muted somehow.

This brings me to the title, I think the problem with these new Scooby's is they do not know what they want to be, are they aiming at Audi/BMW? If so they have failed on a number of levels, most importantly; interior not good enough, no diesel in the range and ride a bit choppy (although BMW and Audi not great on this front at the moment) or:

Carry on being a rally bred machine, part of the problem here is cars like the new Focus ST/Civic Type R/Seat Leon are much cheaper and offer a similar level of performance and better build quality, the only USP for Suabru left is the 4wd which matters to me because I live in muddy b road land but not many people do. Time has caught up with the Impreza which is a real shame, personally I will always be attracted to them but not for approx £23k when the Focus is around £17k, not to mention the far classier Golf Gti which is in the same price bracket, I see loads of these on the roads but have seen 2 new Subarus, and I was in one of them.

I would say ditch the better interior (although if Ford can do a better interior for much less cash they should bloody keep it), lighten the car and drop the price. The only thing going for it now is 4wd.

I also looked at a new Legacy, soooo much better inside and yet this competes on price to its rivals...

I just don't get the new Impreza!?

Sorry if this is boring just wanted to get thoughts down!
Old 05 December 2006, 02:05 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

How about relaunching the normal classic Impreza with a far healthier 320 bhp. Lighter, cheaper,better looking and considerably quicker than many other cars

I shall never buy a new shape Impreza.
Old 05 December 2006, 02:22 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Thats a good write up, enjoyable read. Thanks for that.

Interesting points made about what group Subaru are targeting the car at.

Hmmm.
Old 05 December 2006, 02:53 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I find it so strange that so many people say old scoobs are so rattly.

Mine never rattled when I bought it, and has never deveolped one in the god knows how many years I've owned and dispised it

I still call the new one the chinky eye, or squinty eye if I feel the need to be PC.

You also have to remember ever since the first one was made, Impreza has always been a "cut down" Legacy, Subaru can't tread on its flagship's toes, now can it? Pity they don't import the "true" flagship model

Last edited by Shark Man; 05 December 2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05 December 2006, 03:14 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Mine doesnt rattle either, (my00) - but the doors certainly dont "thunk" like an Audi A3.
Old 05 December 2006, 03:15 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Mine don't thunk like my Golf tdi either, but you pay for the thunk in extra weight.
Old 05 December 2006, 03:33 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Mine don't thunk like my Golf tdi either, but you pay for the thunk in extra weight.
Yeah agreed, I was out in an A3 recently. Nice and chunky, slippy leather seats were not to my liking. I was glad to get back in the scoob.

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2006, 04:09 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Maybe it is just mine with the rattles, or maybe it is all the mess, I must admit since moving to the country it now resembles how it was intended, a farmers fast runabout!
Old 05 December 2006, 04:09 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryo
Thats a good write up, enjoyable read. Thanks for that.

Interesting points made about what group Subaru are targeting the car at.

Hmmm.
thanks, at least someone enjoyed my awful prose!

it is just frustrating as I am not looking for a Audi alternative with Subaru, I want a cheaper car that goes like stink if I want it to and I am not too bothered by a bit of mud inside, ie I am like an original customer way back in the early days, if you see what I mean!

Last edited by chippy17; 05 December 2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05 December 2006, 04:11 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
How about relaunching the normal classic Impreza with a far healthier 320 bhp. Lighter, cheaper,better looking and considerably quicker than many other cars

I shall never buy a new shape Impreza.
now you're talking, or have two models, one close to your Audi A3 type market and a cut price Impreza built for speed and general b road tomfoolery...

Last edited by chippy17; 05 December 2006 at 04:14 PM.