ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Identity Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2001, 07:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Identity cards - I reckon that they should be introduced - together with a COMPULSORY DNA test - put it all on a database and cut crime!

By the way what does DNA stand for? see below:-
NATIONAL DYSLEXIC ASSOCIATION

Old 24 September 2001, 07:10 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 24 September 2001, 08:57 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

LOL @ DNA

No problem here with ID / DNA record.

Never could understand exactly which of my civil liberties it would infringe.

DJ
Old 24 September 2001, 09:02 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

If they want you - they'll have you & its only the crims & those with something to hide that have a problem Watch to see how long compulsory trip data recording by insurance companies takes to come along - its beginning to happen & then you'll find your insurance invalidated for going 61mph 5 months ago & a day...

Besides, its about time some people in the muppet forum actually knew who they were
Old 24 September 2001, 09:13 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

If you have nothing to hide then you should not have a problem with id cards IMO.
Puff hit it on the head by saying its only people doing crime etc that will be bothered (and of course the do gooders).
Andy.
Old 24 September 2001, 09:21 PM
Richiehash
Scooby Regular

Red face

just wondering if it is possible to incorporate a trackable chip into these cards it may then pay to leave it in the scoob then if(hopefully not) its stolen then the police will pick up on the speeding card and get the car cos it'll make some more speeding revenue.
maybe even if u are driving.
perhaps i'm paranoid
richie
Old 24 September 2001, 09:59 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Puff, DJ and tarmacterrorist,

I don't want identity cards, does that mean I must be a crim or have something to hide? I am not, and I don't. But the point about ID cards is this. If you go out and are stopped by the police and you've left your ID card at home then you can and will be arrested. What's the sense in that? I'll put it another way. How many times have you left your work's security pass at home by accident, or just forgotten to pick up your wallet as you leave the house?

I'm sorry, but the old "you must have something to hide" argument against those who disagree with ID cards is a little bit offensive.

What's more, the whole principle behind ID cards is that they are only as good as the information they contain. The suicide terrorists who flew the planes into the WTC had 'normal' passports. Do we believe that an ID card will really stop these people? They'd just have had fake ones made surely?

I've been off work sick today and as a result I've watched TV for most of the day. The issue of ID cards has been pretty thoroughly addressed on TV and one of the statements made was that there was no evidence to show that ID cards would have any effect on crime or terrorism. Currently 6 EU countried have ID cards. IMO they are just as susceptible to terrorist attacks as anyone else.

Simon.
Old 24 September 2001, 10:20 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Simon
Can appreciate what your saying but in general I think that ID cards would be beneficial. ID cards would help with things like benefit fraud which costs everyone in the end. Its about time something was done to cut the amount of crimes like benefit fraud etc & ID cards are one suggestion. As the ID card fits into a wallet it would just be another card to carry around.
The "I must have something to hide" argument is kind of true really. Why is it offensive for someone to say this ? I am like you in that I have nothing to hide but would be quite happy to carry the ID card.
As you are against the idea have you any other point apart from you may leave it at home one day & be arrested ?
Just interested in your views of why you dont want ID cards.
Andy.
Old 24 September 2001, 11:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
I carry my Driving Licence with me in my wallet, as good an ID card as any and very usefull both here and abroad.
Old 25 September 2001, 06:19 AM
SD
Scooby Regular

Arrow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by tarmacterrorist:
<B>Simon
Can appreciate what your saying but in general I think that ID cards would be beneficial. ID cards would help with things like benefit fraud which costs everyone in the end. Its about time something was done to cut the amount of crimes like benefit fraud etc & ID cards are one suggestion. As the ID card fits into a wallet it would just be another card to carry around.
The "I must have something to hide" argument is kind of true really. Why is it offensive for someone to say this ? I am like you in that I have nothing to hide but would be quite happy to carry the ID card.
As you are against the idea have you any other point apart from you may leave it at home one day & be arrested ?
Just interested in your views of why you dont want ID cards.
Andy.[/quote]

Andy,

As far as I can see the "something to hide" argument against ID cards tries to pigeon-hole you into one of 2 boxes: 'Either you want ID cards, or you have something to hide'. I don't want ID cards, so I must have something to hide - that's what I find offensive - I have nothing to hide! It refuses to acknowledge the possibility of the 'third box'.

I accept that ID cards might help cut benefit fraud, but I re-itterate the point I made before. The cards will only be as good as the reliability of the information they contain. If someone is defrauding the benefit system then aren't they likely to have fake ID cards and such like?

As far as why I wouldn't want an (compulsary - I assume we're talking about compulsary cards) ID card, I just object to having to carry a card just to walk down the street.

The other forms of ID we presently have afford us priviledges - Driving licences allow us to drive, Passports allow us to cross to other countries, Library cards allow us to hire books out etc, but the ID card would allow us no priviledges at all. We'd have to have one, or run the risk of being arrested.

I guess that's most of it really.

Simon.
Old 25 September 2001, 07:59 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Red face

Simon,

I have to say that I agree with you. I also do not want compulsory ID cards but I also am not a crim and have nothing to hide. Your point about ID cards affording you a privilege is a good one - you should not need one to walk down the street.

The majority of these kinds of ideas only cause more and more agro for "normal" non-crim members of society and have little effect on the people they are designed to combat (crims ) - case in point - joyriders/car thieves often get banned after being caught but it doesn't stop them doing it again does it? You can only police those people who agree to be policed.....

Matt
Old 25 September 2001, 08:19 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Dont agree I'm afraid.

Having lived abroad (almost every other country requires ID) it is absolutely no problem.

Everybody looked on it as a civic responsibility, simple as that.
Old 25 September 2001, 08:31 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

I'm not bothered about ID cards either way but I have to disagree with the DNA testing.

I think I'm fit and healthy but a DNA test may show a hereditory (sp?) problem that the insurance industry may not like! Just think, you could be refused a mortgage because some distant relative had DPLS!!!!

What's DPLS you ask?

A Disliking for Pete Lewis Syndrome
F
Old 25 September 2001, 08:37 AM
JJamess
Scooby Regular

I think ID cards are a good idea.

I can never find anything to scrape the ice off my windscreen and they would be ideal.
Old 25 September 2001, 08:43 AM
Andy Winskill
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!:
<B>If they want you - they'll have you & its only the crims & those with something to hide that have a problem Watch to see how long compulsory trip data recording by insurance companies takes to come along - its beginning to happen & then you'll find your insurance invalidated for going 61mph 5 months ago & a day...
[/quote]

And then the next thing will be a car which automatically slows down or keeps under the speed limit logs any attempt at going over the speed limit and automatically generates a fixed penalty....

Maybe I'm getting old but I'm tired of being told what to do by government.

Back to the subject - how far does the ID card check go? For example, as a white caucasaun (sp?) am I more or less likely to get arrested for not having my id card than someone appearing to be of Arabic decent? I remember seeing film footage of the US after Pearl Harbour where everyone who had vaguely Japanese appearance being rounded up into camps....

I'll walk into the NO lobby

[This message has been edited by Andy Winskill (edited 25 September 2001).]