Sponsored by:

05 WRX info required

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2006, 01:26 PM
Turtle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 WRX info required

While I was on Holiday a good friend of mine let me use his 02 Bugeye WRX (US spec running on 91 octane fuel!), I had it for 2 weeks. Now I'm considering swapping my LCR for an 05 WRX, however I don't know much about them.

I've test driven a 05 WRX from my local dealer, it's not as quick as my chipped LCR but the traction and handling were in a differnt league!

I'll want to keep the car pretty standard for insurance reasons, but are there any mods that are considered necessary? For example my LCR has a Revo remap, short shifter, DS2500 pads and a stiffer engine/gearbox bush to reduce wheel hop.

I'm considering getting PPP, id this worth while? Is it much louder than standard?

Are there any problems that I should look for on this model?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Ade
Old 15 October 2006, 01:49 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Unless you are getting a bargain I'd go for an STI as the prices are very low at the moment.

A standard WRX probably won't float your boat after a modded hot hatch and unless you're going to do some choice mods (decat/panel filter/remap +decent pads and hoses and maybe read ARB) for ~£1500, I think you'll be disappointed. PPP keeps warranty and does improve performance to where is should have been from factory, but is way overpriced and will not perform anywhere near as well as ecutek. Neither are really insurance friendly, expect ~50% loading on your premium..

Seriously consider going for an STI, believe it or not insurance will probably be better. Also you'll need to spend less to get bigger BHP if you decide to do so in the future.

There have been 12 month old STI's (ie 05>) going on here for 16k..!

This is my opinion as an EU 05 WRX owner having spent a bit speccing it up. Don't get me wrong my car as it is now is, IMHO, better than most STI's and as it was an EU import still a lot cheaper, but if I was doing it now, with current prices the way they are , I'd be looking for an 05> sti (or better still a JDM)..!
Old 15 October 2006, 02:12 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Turtle
While I was on Holiday a good friend of mine let me use his 02 Bugeye WRX (US spec running on 91 octane fuel!), I had it for 2 weeks. Now I'm considering swapping my LCR for an 05 WRX, however I don't know much about them.

I've test driven a 05 WRX from my local dealer, it's not as quick as my chipped LCR but the traction and handling were in a differnt league!

I'll want to keep the car pretty standard for insurance reasons, but are there any mods that are considered necessary? For example my LCR has a Revo remap, short shifter, DS2500 pads and a stiffer engine/gearbox bush to reduce wheel hop.

I'm considering getting PPP, id this worth while? Is it much louder than standard?

Are there any problems that I should look for on this model?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Ade
PPP increased my premium by £50. Its slightly louder than standard, but quiet at 70-90 on motorway. On a 05 car it means you'll enjoy a further 2 years of warranty too. Try driving one to see which you prefer
Old 15 October 2006, 02:19 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Go for the STI, really.
I too am a modified WRX driver, and next week sees me spending yet more on my car.
Again as jasonius says, if i were to buy again it would be an STI.
The thing is with a WRX, it is not upto what the car can do. Things need modifying too much to get it how it should be to start with. Which by then is an STI anyway.
Old 15 October 2006, 02:22 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say also, the WRX interior is ****e also compared to any STI.
My mate says the STI seats were loads better than his WRX. And in the later STI's you got all that DCCD control and stuff too.
As above, go JDM STI and you will never wipe the smile off your face, but you may need a gumshield to stop your teeth from rattling! LOL.
Old 16 October 2006, 10:13 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
My mate says the STI seats were loads better than his WRX.
Ah, that's where EU cars have the upper hand with bucket seats (ie same as STI in black fabric)..!

It's just the prices for STI's at the moment are soooo low..
Old 16 October 2006, 11:12 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Ah, that's where EU cars have the upper hand with bucket seats (ie same as STI in black fabric)..!

It's just the prices for STI's at the moment are soooo low..
Really? I could do with some of them, lol.
Old 16 October 2006, 11:14 AM
wilb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
Forgot to say also, the WRX interior is ****e also compared to any STI.
Disagree, to look at i think the STI interior is horrible. Blue carpet, tacky looking seats. not a fan of the STI interior at all.
Old 16 October 2006, 11:58 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wilb
Disagree, to look at i think the STI interior is horrible. Blue carpet, tacky looking seats. not a fan of the STI interior at all.
I'm not a fan either of the blue seats either - especially with a black car !
Now the spec'D leather seats look good !
Richard
Old 16 October 2006, 12:01 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

I've said before that it'd be a Spec D if I got an STI, but that's just not 'chavy' enough for some people