ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

LPG Conversion - Short review

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2006, 01:49 PM
AlloyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LPG Conversion - Short review

It costs around £2k but ensure they are certified and provide you with the certificate of installation for your insurance - Else you wont get any

It takes them 3-5 days to fit and they should supply a temp car.

**Larger injectors are in development (release in the next month - hopefully), sort out a few issues**

It cost 40ishp/Litre

Drive below 3.5k RPM to get the fuel saving benefit, more than 4k and it'll go out the tank quicker than petrol does

At 4kRPM when you have high boost the engine will cough then carry on. The demand is currently too much for the fuel supply on high boost at 4k rpm. It does resume after one quick cough/pause in power.** see injector comment**

Power less than on petrol, just like having a few mates in the car compared to when you're on your own ** See injector comments**

Runs smoother on LPG, oh and cleaner. passes emissions when decatted - so i've been told

Manual over-ride to go back on petrol (trach days etc), otherwise automatic.

Recommend IF you can stay below 3.5k rpm in each gear and that's hard

PM if you want more info, I will be writing a full review from day one and all the issues that came with it. The things they don't tell you about.

So far.

Morgs.

Last edited by AlloyUK; 11 October 2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12 October 2006, 04:43 PM
wakko
Scooby Regular

Thanks Morgs. I was thinking about this conversion, just for the long motorway journeys. Anymore info would be appreciated.
Old 12 October 2006, 06:45 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Did you have a valve lubriction add-on fitted, like Flash Lube? What engine Warranty were you given? Thanks for info btw.
Old 12 October 2006, 06:59 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Good info thanks!

Something I have been thinking about for a long time. A full write up will be great. Looking forward to it.

Chris
Old 12 October 2006, 08:55 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

below 3.5K...never

maybe at standstill but no way otherwise

then again it would have to burn over twice as fast to make it more uneconomical than petrol I guess
Old 12 October 2006, 09:36 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> At 4kRPM when you have high boost the engine will cough then carry on.

That cough is fuel starvation. The engine goes lean, runs very hot, risk of det. Then it carries on..... No don't think so.

How much effort and engineering has gone into the fuel system by Subaru? It's state of the art fuel injection with a very sophisticated ECU controlling the amount of fuel added in response to a number of inputs, throttle position, rate of change of throttle position, engine revs, water temp, air temp, MAP, MAF and no doubt loads of others. You're planning to change it to a bodged up system with crude injectors controlled by a mickey mouse £20 controller which probably only looks at revs and throttle and a fuel that is known to have less power density.

I'd do it on a low stressed lazy engine like a V8 in a landie but on a highly tuned, highly stressed, high revving performance car ..... it's not big or clever.
Old 12 October 2006, 09:47 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
...That cough is fuel starvation. The engine goes lean, runs very hot, risk of det. Then it carries on..... No don't think so...

How much effort and engineering has gone into the fuel system by Subaru?
Not much; they have a feeble fuel pump and a massively flawed serial fuel rail. Cylinder number three is at the end of the line; guess which piston is usually holed and guess which big-end bearing usually fails first?

With regard to you comment on the car running lean: it may well do, but LPG has a RON far higher to SUL and as a result it has a far far greater resistance to knock.

Simon
Old 06 November 2006, 05:01 PM
AlloyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Did you have a valve lubriction add-on fitted, like Flash Lube? What engine Warranty were you given? Thanks for info btw.
Hi,

Sorry for delay I've been offline.

There is no extras lube' wise, It isn't a cheap mickey mouse set-up (I know it wasn't you that said that ) It's the same as on the Honda rally car so it's a good setup, a Vx Manaro(?) had the same set-up as mine at the same time and that's no cheap motor.

The RON is some what higher the petrol and GreenFuel are currently looking into the impact of the fuel starvation. The larger injectors (not mickey mouse ones either ) are due anytime, which will sort that out.

The garage(s) can tune it to perform better or worse it depends what you're after. I want economy when on LPG and I'll switch to Petrol (until the larger injectors are fitted) if I want to stretch it's legs.

I tend to 3-4k it on the motorways (when there's no roads works ) and it works out cheaper.

Happy Drivin'

PS.
I do recommend it IF you have discipline on the revs <4k often enough.
Old 06 November 2006, 05:06 PM
AlloyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
If they trash it they fix/replace it, and it's in writing . But I guess it depends on the nature of it's death so to speak.

The after service is faultless and second to nothing I have EVER had.
Old 06 November 2006, 05:11 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

I had a wrx running with an omvl dream 21n kit fitted , was running really well and cost £12 for 200 miles instead of £30 on petrol , was all automatic and again if giving it a blast then just pushed the button to change to petrol .
Was well worth it , only thing was car got used alot more so the mileage shot up quickly and had to change it .
Old 06 November 2006, 05:17 PM
AlloyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scuba_doo
I had a wrx running with an omvl dream 21n kit fitted , was running really well and cost £12 for 200 miles instead of £30 on petrol , was all automatic and again if giving it a blast then just pushed the button to change to petrol .
Was well worth it , only thing was car got used alot more so the mileage shot up quickly and had to change it .
True my milage is well high but I plan on keeping it as a working car hence the lpg It's up to about £15/200miles depending on the garage, motorway £20/200miles.
Old 06 November 2006, 07:32 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

I now have a version 9 sti ppp with 9500 miles and bought an old banger to stick the milage on , dont what to put gas on the sti as the same will end up happening again !!
Old 08 November 2006, 11:14 AM
AlloyUK
Scooby Regular

I wonder who has the highest miilage scoob ?

mine is 120k now
Old 08 November 2006, 11:20 AM
wakko
Scooby Regular

How big is the LPG tank and whereabouts is it fitted?

wakko.
Old 08 November 2006, 11:26 AM
AlloyUK
Scooby Regular

40ltr ish, in the spare tyre well. You loose 1-2" of boot depth.
Old 08 November 2006, 12:03 PM
wildstallion
Scooby Newbie

Im selling some property soon and I have decided a budget of about 15k on a Scoobi and another 2k on a top good quality LPG conversion. Gonna keep my eyes peeled on this thread.

Can anyone tell me the best make equipment to get fitted to an STI.
Old 08 November 2006, 01:22 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AlloyUK
I wonder who has the highest miilage scoob ?

mine is 120k now
The old boy's UK Impreza is about to hit 230,000!

My Jap STI on the other hand has done only 54000 and already destroyed an engine, rear suspension, and a radiator.
Old 09 November 2006, 10:37 AM
AlloyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wildstallion
Im selling some property soon and I have decided a budget of about 15k on a Scoobi and another 2k on a top good quality LPG conversion. Gonna keep my eyes peeled on this thread.

Can anyone tell me the best make equipment to get fitted to an STI.
Hi,

I don't know where you live or how easy it is to get to for you, but give these guys a ring (01564822283) and they should be able to advise on the system to use. If you say Morgon with the Blue Imp Wagon told you about them (no commission )

and then call Noel (Green Fuel) 01225722610, again please say it was myself that put you in touch. They are aware that I am monitoring/reviewing their kit etc..The guys above do the actual work for Green Fuel and are located in South Birmingham. They do give you a car when they are doing the work, please any "niggles" they deal with real fast, quotes like pop around now and they'll check it. This gives good piece of mind

They are all a good bunch.
Old 09 November 2006, 10:51 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed

I'd do it on a low stressed lazy engine like a V8 in a landie but on a highly tuned, highly stressed, high revving performance car ..... it's not big or clever.
I'd disagree on that point. My old man had his Ford Explorer (4.0 V8) converted to LPG, and it was fine for about 12-16 months, then it all started going wrong.

In LPG mode it would sometimes just cut out, which isn't a pleasant experience especially if your going round a tight corner, then suddenly the steering stiffens up and you don't make the corner (luckily nothing coming the other way).
It was running very rough, and even in Petrol mode the power was down and the engine was running like a bag of nails. Was in the dealers at least once a month. Sold it soon afterwords.

He's vowed never to get LPG again. Todays manufacturers spend 10's of Millions of pounds making high performance, high technology engines, that aren't built to run on LPG.

I can only comment on the experience I've had, but no way would I convert any car, let alone a high performance Subaru to LPG.

If you need economy, buy a diesel.
Old 09 November 2006, 12:58 PM
AlloyUK
Scooby Regular

I don't know about the system he had or the fitting standard, I would presume it was all done be certified mech's.

The systems used on the Imp plus other revvier motors have had high development, Honda has used it on one of their rally cars (extreme example I know).

The Vauxhall monaro that was in the garage at the same time as my scoob has been running well just like my scoob.

I have done 18k on mine so far since installation.
Old 09 November 2006, 12:59 PM
AlloyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
If you need economy, buy a diesel.
Can't argue
Old 09 November 2006, 01:13 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Not much; they have a feeble fuel pump and a massively flawed serial fuel rail. Cylinder number three is at the end of the line; guess which piston is usually holed and guess which big-end bearing usually fails first?

With regard to you comment on the car running lean: it may well do, but LPG has a RON far higher to SUL and as a result it has a far far greater resistance to knock.

Simon
Would you mind if I nit-pick Simon? (sorry )

To be really honest. Do you have factual evidence of such. Or is the usual subaru analisms that are so often spouted and spread. The fact that a particular piston melts and big ends go south is suggestive, but then are these stock cars? Do they have another fueling system problem? (sensor failure, JDM with incorrect fuel, Dodgy mods, remaps pushing the limit). The causes are endless, I will agree the factors you mention may be CONTRIBUTIVE. But they aren't solely the cause, and all this has done is caused a mass influx of people changing fuel pumps and messing with pipework for no real reason (same as why people keep using uprated oil pumps - there is no evidence to say the original ones are at fault on a nearly standard car).

Obviously with a car running much more BHP as stock it will be a problem, that I won't argue with.

I have never seen a stock fuel pump that is underperforming on a nigh on stock motor. And nearly every car in existance with EFI uses serial fuel rail arrangement. Even the V12 engines in certain supercars. So it can't be that bad, can it?