Safe modifications

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2006, 01:50 PM
FD Scoob
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe modifications

Hello
My mate has just bought a 56 plate 2.5 WRX which is a maltese import.
Due to the warranty issues he has been told he can do absolutely nothing to it or it will invalidate. Even the main dealer says no to a PPP.
He wants to take it to around 300bhp with a stainless exhaust.
What is the most safest and reliable modification he could do on the car. Obviously the warranty would be gone but its only a weekend car and would only expect to cover around 20k miles in he first 3 years anyway so i doubt he would ever need to call on the warranty. If the main dealer is wrong and he could have a PPP what is the best non main dealer alternative as he could get a lot more for his money than the £1900 he has been quoted for the PPP.

Thanks

In Lancashire
Old 08 November 2006, 01:51 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

main dealer is talking out his ****, ppp will be covered, other mods wont
Old 08 November 2006, 01:57 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Tidgy's right. £1400 for approx 265ps (at least it was on the 2.0) PPP. Plus £450 for Prodrive springs, which are worthwhile.

Reckon he'd be better to keep the warranty.
Old 08 November 2006, 02:14 PM
Tilly
Scooby Regular

the bit where you said in lancashire was what made me chuckle, which dealer was it? rochdale? lol
Old 08 November 2006, 03:33 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Tell him he can modify his own route if he wants, which usually works out cheaper and should keep the warranty; albeit on parts that have not been replaced. (ie. struts/battery etc)

Speaking from experience with an EU model

Exhaust
Filter
Fuel Pump
Remap
Old 08 November 2006, 04:28 PM
mac2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tilly
the bit where you said in lancashire was what made me chuckle, which dealer was it? rochdale? lol
tilly whats your experience with rochdale subaru
Old 08 November 2006, 04:40 PM
FD Scoob
Scooby Newbie

Re the entry from Gaz the hat you are saying that he can modify himself to whatever limit but whatever parts he puts on the car wont be covered on the warranty but the remaining standard bits will???
Old 08 November 2006, 04:51 PM
Tilly
Scooby Regular

lol nothing major just wasnt impressed with the service, the salesman couldn't give a sh*t, he didn't say anything offhand to me but you could tell he couldnt be arsed. stereotyped me and was reluctant to spend time trying to help me out even when there was only one other person in the showroom (who had already been seen to!)

I just got the "what are you doing in here" impression from him but I wasn't too keen on the place itself either, wasn't my impression of a dealership, some random gravel car park across the road with a tacky fence and a few cars ditched behind it in need of a good clean but hey *shrugs* its not like I sell cars and finance for a living myself or anything is it... oh hold on, I do! If I dealt with a customer in such a morbid way the boss wouldn't be too happy!

Needless to say it would have been the easiest deal he'd ever done but if they don't want custom then nevermind I'll order the car from elsewhere, leeds/huddersfield or somewhere else nearby, I'd rather drive an extra 30 minutes from home if it means I'll receive better service

Last edited by Tilly; 08 November 2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08 November 2006, 09:18 PM
mac2
Scooby Regular

i was surprised with the place nearly drove past it tacky fence and a couple of scoobs parked there.i had my rocker gaskets replaced there and they did a good job but they also said i needed a new set of coil packs when i didnt, i changed the plugs from pfr7b back to 6b and it has been fine since.

think ill get myself upto prosport in future heard good things about them.
Old 09 November 2006, 01:41 PM
Tilly
Scooby Regular

lol you mean they actually have a workshop there? I honestly couldn't see it, I thought it was just a backstreet shop with a franchise to its name lol how wrong was I
Old 09 November 2006, 01:59 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FD Scoob
Re the entry from Gaz the hat you are saying that he can modify himself to whatever limit but whatever parts he puts on the car wont be covered on the warranty but the remaining standard bits will???

Basically, yes. Although not every garage would adhere to that. Ask you dealer(s) first to confirm. From my experience of asking, it was not a problem.

If the fault is seen to have contributed/caused the problem, then i guess the warranty would not cover it. I have not had to replace any items that would fit into that category though.