Sponsored by:

Help,im going mad, damn Power steering pump/reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2006, 06:25 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help,im going mad, damn Power steering pump/reservoir

Had to change my PS Pump, cool,got one, fitted it, put reservoir back on, its leaking from where the reservoir bolts to the pump, hmm, so i fit a rubber washer onto the pump, my sport had this yet the turbo doesnt, even tho the groove is there,thinking it might be this, nope, still leaks, so i try another bracket/reservoir and still it leaks, i remove the rubber washer from the groove, still it leaks, im going insane, must of done this job like 10 time snow, is there a special secret, a sealant instead of the washer in th egroove, anything ?????????

its insane, ive cleaned it all up all fits well, doesnt leak when in use, only leaks when engine not running, presume when running its moving so doesnt leak.

any advice,anyone doen one ?

classic model

cheers
Old 08 October 2006, 06:32 PM
ste300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also had this nightmare! My pump broke along with the rack, so replaced the pump, which broke, so got another one before discovering the rack was broken so replaced the pump one last time and the rack too. But its still leaking! It also leaks in use too i believe. So when it has leaked during a long drive i get a grinding feeling through the wheel and a small amount of noise when turning sharply at speed, i suppose due to a lack of fluid? So yeah i would also greatly appreciate any advice.
Steve
Old 08 October 2006, 06:40 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

the bolts that hold the reservoir down... are they inside the reservoir?
(i.e a 00MY style PS unit)
If so replace the washers on the bolts as well.
These are called dowty washers and have a built in rubber seal bonded to them.

Andy
Old 08 October 2006, 06:46 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

The bolts are not inside the reservoir, they bolt ontop of the bracket, then the reservoir sits on top of these and is held down by 3 bolts.

my my00 sport was the same setup as this, BUT, it has these rubber washers you talk of, whereas the turbo unit doesnt, nor did have when i removed it all before it leaked
Old 08 October 2006, 07:11 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Anyone find a breakddown of the sytem,picture wise,i cant find one, i have got the washers with the rubber dowels in,removed them from the sport bolts,but need to know 100% really if/what is needed as i dont want to keep taking it apart,its a messy job !
Old 08 October 2006, 07:19 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

i fiited a new rubber O'ring to mine a few months ago was told there was 2 different sizes depending on model year it used to pi$$ out and still now i have a very very minor leak
Old 08 October 2006, 07:26 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

This si the weird thing tho, when i removed my orignal pump, no washers at al lanywhere and only a seaping leak,enuff to leave a pool of oil over a month or so, my sport system however, had a rubber o ring where the reservoir bracket bolted to it and also these washers with rubber dowls.

so,why didnt the tubro leak like it is now before i took it all apart ?

i suppose i can fit the o ring washer and washers with rubber dowls and see how that goes,but tis the on/off on/off on/off im getting fed up with now, and the constanat cleaning fo the fluid off the engine !

its madness !!!!!!!!!!
Old 08 October 2006, 07:27 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

and also, the 2nd hand setup i got had no washers anywhere
Old 08 October 2006, 09:10 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Another thing with it, th ereason i replaced it was i ran it dry and it whined like a mother, and so does this one, i was guarnteed it was good too, maybe i was using the wrong fluid, i chose castrol TQ dexron III, gonna try a dexron II fluid instead.
Old 08 October 2006, 10:14 PM
Murray
Scooby Regular

Default Arrrrrrrrrr

I have exactly the same issue....I'm going to strip it down tomorrow evening a try to sort it, I will let know...

my biggest problem is that I can not get the lower pipe undone...it is stuck fast......

I'm 'very' temped to replace the complete unit with another (non-scooby) need to have a look.....
Old 09 October 2006, 07:06 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

From what i can see,it seems to leak from where the reservoir sits into the pump,its only a small tube that the reservoir has,it can only be this really,i might use some sealant with it as well........
Old 09 October 2006, 05:23 PM
4wheel
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up steering pump

dont know if it will be of any help to you, but i had the same problem with my 95 wrx import, changed the reservor to a legacy one and it hasnt leaked since hope this helps.
Old 09 October 2006, 07:58 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

I used a gasket sealant as well as the washer. This curred the leak and it never came back.

Also I used Mobil Synthetic ATF rather than the standard fluid. It is supposed to cope with high temperatures better. Some of the other fluids tend to boil over and cause permanent leaks.