One Week On of Scooby Ownership :(

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2006, 01:42 AM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One Week On of Scooby Ownership :(

Hey Guys,

Well its been a week today since I got my Scooby. Started off all nice and I thought I got a good deal. Basically swapping my 99 Honda HR-V for a Scooby Wagon. God know what I was thinking when I drove away in the Scoob. Guess I must have been blinded by Something. Journey home was not bad, 85 miles and a slight headache later. Following morning (In the Light) I thought I would start playing and tinkering. Straight away I found oil of some sort around the passenger side front wheel

Well a week on I have so far done:
Second hand Shocks and Springs All round - Front Shock had exploded.
Second hand exhaust system - Massive hole in the top of the BackBox which was a SuperSprint jobby.
2 New tyres on the rear and new brake pads all round. Rears where worn to nout.
Wiper/Headlight Arms - He fitted 4 Door without the rear wiper control for some reason.
Reverse light switch buggered.
Removed radiator tap that was being used for bleedvalve

Stuff that Still needs to be Done:

Power steering Pump - Currently have no powersteering
Rear Wiper motor - Current one is blown
New trim for interior - The current ones are hand painted silver
Refurb my wheels - No one wants them as they are so going to do this myself.
New rear lights as the current ones are held together with selotape
OE Airbox- Currently has Induction kit from ebay on it.

I guess I can blame no one but myself for getting this Wagon, should have been more careful and all that. Gutted is the understaement of the year

Yes this was from ebay and yes I 'thought' I checked everything but as above, I was blinded by the fact that I wanted a Scooby and had the chance to get this one.

With all the above in mind I am determinded to sort the car out and get her back in tip top condition. I have been messing with cars for years now and am definatly no starnger to spanners and getting my hands dirty.

Just a shame that these cars get neglected the way this one has, although it has a full service history and loads of receipts etc. The people I got it from just do/did not have a clue, hope they are enjoying the HR-V

Anyways, watch this space cos I am going to really get the baby together and together properly. I can spray pretty good and as above I can pull any engine to bits and rebuild it without any problems. Got good, sensible plans in mind for this Wagon as you'll see in the coming months

The Moral of this story is, no matter how badly you want something, no matter how quick you think you can get it - check it, check it and check it. I am really going to struggle to get this Scoob sorted cos I dont work because wife and daughter are disabled but I will do it to prove and point and not be beat. Guess the my wagon is a good example of what not to get from ebay.

Here's to the future of my Wagon, and a bright and hopefully long future its going to be as well.

Regards

OR
Old 26 September 2006, 02:14 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear about your problems with the motor mate.

Get her all fixed up and into the WAGONS CORNER with you, im sure Lordharding will be only to happy to have a good old natter with you
Old 26 September 2006, 06:58 AM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

Lots of bad ones out there, I looked at least 15 cars before I ended up with the one I have now, found everything from bent cars (legally and materially) , cars in the process of being repaired and one with no tyre of the same brand on it!! God if you cannot afford to fit the same tyres on an axle than what's the chances of it being looked after................
Old 26 September 2006, 07:21 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always worth gettin the AA or someone to check out a second hand car especially one that carrys such high repair bills when things go **** up.
Old 26 September 2006, 12:19 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Vehicle Inspection by AA/Reputable scooby garage.

That's the possible problem with buying these older ones, there's more chance they need more money throwing at them.

Sounds like you were blinded by "I want one" syndrome. Get her tarted up and back into shape and you'll be happy again, at least knowing everything is in good shape.
Old 26 September 2006, 12:24 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you are bringing one back from the brink, lots of luck and best wishes as a good one is miles better than the Honda
Old 26 September 2006, 01:16 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

You don't say what year your wagon is. If its 99/00 get shot of that induction kit before you do anything else.

Crappy ebay ones could kill your engine if 99/00. Do some searches on here for it as its quite common.
Old 26 September 2006, 02:25 PM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

Many true words there guys, but she will be back upto standards real soon. I can do the body work and machanics myself which is a bonus. I am going to colour code the skirts, Door handles and mirrors. Wheels I am going to do Subaru Gold (If I can get a good match on the paint codes). New exhaust system of some sort and also want to fit some Blue Mudflaps (Not to everyones taste but I love the look of them.

Oh Well, we live and learn I guess

Originally Posted by EddScott
You don't say what year your wagon is. If its 99/00 get shot of that induction kit before you do anything else.

Crappy ebay ones could kill your engine if 99/00. Do some searches on here for it as its quite common.
Its a 1997 UK 2000 Turbo Mate.
Old 26 September 2006, 05:10 PM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

Turn that dog of a car into something that would win Crufts..! Good Luck
Old 26 September 2006, 05:18 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

i take it you went blindfolded to swap cars.
Old 26 September 2006, 06:12 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

Unlucky mate, but I think you have a great attitude.
You get ripped off but you still have fight left in you. Clearly you have learnt from your mistake and hopfully everyone that reads this thread wont make the same one.

Keep you chin up and please let us know/show us the progress with the car!