Sponsored by:

New 2.5 WRX or 03 STI PPP

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2006, 12:08 PM
wakko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2.5 WRX or 03 STI PPP

As above. Which one would you guys go for with a view to adding a few mods?

Also what's the difference between the new WRX and the new STI to warrant the extra £6000 or so?
Old 25 September 2006, 12:14 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I would go for the STi, its got better brakes, clutch, gearbox etc so a nicer car to start with, if on the other hand you want something a little more refined then go for the wrx, though if your even contemplating mods you should be thinking STi
If you can get your hands on a JDM STi, thats even better

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 25 September 2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 25 September 2006, 12:51 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wakko
Also what's the difference between the new WRX and the new STI to warrant the extra £6000 or so?
Assuming UK cars, the differences are massive - they are two different cars and the WRX doesn't come close to the STi in terms of driver enjoyment. The performance difference is very noticable. The interior (particularly seats) are poor in the WRX too - the STi's is a much nicer place to be.

I tested the two at length before settling on the '06 STi. TBH, if I could only have had the WRX I wouldn't have bothered getting one.

All IMHO FWIW etc.
Old 25 September 2006, 01:00 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Agreed, go with the STi... I have a mate with the WRX and he isnt overly keen on it... where as he loves my MY05 STi (Blobeye - same as what your looking at plus a few 2005 updates)
Old 25 September 2006, 01:01 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leeroy

I tested the two at length before settling on the '06 STi. TBH, if I could only have had the WRX I wouldn't have bothered getting one.

All IMHO FWIW etc.
I have made the same decision. Could only afford a WRX, so decided to wait.
Old 25 September 2006, 01:21 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sti , no contest !!
Old 25 September 2006, 01:38 PM
wakko
Scooby Regular

Just to let you know i'm not talking about the new 06 STI here. I can't stretch to £21K (at Motorpoint) for a new STI.

However if a 3-4 year old STI PPP is better than a new 2.5L WRX then i'm all for the STI PPP.

I can't wait.

Cheers.
Old 25 September 2006, 01:48 PM
bob's wagon
Scooby Newbie

I tried a 2003 wrx before buying my 2003sti and couldnt believe the difference in the two cars.I found the wrx under-powered but it had softer suspension. I found the ride on my sti very similar to some of the sportscars i have owned previosly.my sti does suffer some turbo lag though,so i'm having it re-mapped soon.
Old 25 September 2006, 04:30 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Get the STI. I bought a brand new 03 WRX, i could not stretch to a new STI, but wanted my possibly one chance at a new car.
Anyway, over 6k mods later and several hundreds wasted during that time, obviously the STI would be the better choice.
You will love the STI, and when and if you get the bug, you have the perfect car to modify should you wish.
Just my opinion, but my money spent on my WRX would have got me the STI.
LOL.
Old 25 September 2006, 04:44 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

STI - all day long.

Isn't geezza1978 selling one?
Old 25 September 2006, 04:50 PM
geezza1978
Scooby Regular

mines still for sale just dropped the price to £13995

https://www.scoobynet.com/my03-53-su...html?p=6193653
Old 25 September 2006, 05:27 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Agree with the above, go for the STi if you can. Only thing I'd add is that
ppp or Ecutek'd WRX with suspension mod's is pretty good (but then I would say that because that's what I've got ! ).
Old 25 September 2006, 05:32 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

General agreement the STi is the way to go, better car, better performance,better most things, also a 3 year old car has already dropped a fair percentage of its value and the new one will drop faster percentage wise, so if you can take the slightly increased maintenance the older car makes more sense imho.
Old 25 September 2006, 10:17 PM
Twix
Scooby Regular

I have a 54 WRX (all standard) and I've driven my mates 53 STi PPP and I would agree that they are different animals.

To be honest - and I'm not sure if others would agree on here - but in a straight line (A19 between Teesside and Tyneside) I had to concentrate to really notice the performance difference when both cars were really going (differences in 0-60 times weren't massively detectable or at least not by me) - but the difference comes when you throw a few corners and bends into the equation - the handling felt totally different the STi PPP felt like it was - as they say - 'on rails' with much firmer suspension - and it was more responsive lower down the rev range.

But I have 3 kids so a softer ride is OK by me in my WRX and to be honest I rarely get the opportunity to drive mine hard enough to enjoy the performance so I'd probably never get close to enjoying the STi PPP.

The other reason I like my WRX - and its a boring one - is that on a run I can get well over 300 miles to a full tank - my mate often gets half that in his STi PPP - I just can't justify that type of extra expenditure at todays fuel prices. I work in Berkshire some of the time - about 270 miles away - I can make it there then back to the M1 before I need to fill up again - my mates car wouldn't even make it to the M25 on the way down before he has to get his wallet out again!
Old 25 September 2006, 10:35 PM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

Main thing to do is to try both before you buy. It really depends what you need.

The STI is more focussed and will be more enjoyable but if you're going to be doing higher mileages and boring commuting the WRX would be better on account of ride, better mpg, lower insurance etc.

I tried both and really liked both but they were a fair bit different. Went for the WRX in the end for the reasons above, but in standard trim came to the conclusion that it wasn't focussed enough so fitted prodrive springs with a good geometry setup and can honestly say I love it in it's current setup whereas I'd have changed it by now had I not changed the suspension.

However an STI is still tempting and when I change I'll test both again.
Old 25 September 2006, 10:42 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

I know i am not talking about the STI but i had a test drive in the new 2.5 WRX and then in the 53 WRX PPP. The difference between them was huge, the standard car was tame and not much different to my Cooper S. But the PPP was far better so i opted for that and i pick it up on Saturday. Money was not a problem regarding buying a STI, it might be only me but i am not that keen on the look of the STI. I am not keen on the seats or the rear wing, Oh and the wife also said NO!!!!
Old 26 September 2006, 07:23 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by theboy
I know i am not talking about the STI but i had a test drive in the new 2.5 WRX and then in the 53 WRX PPP. The difference between them was huge, the standard car was tame and not much different to my Cooper S. But the PPP was far better so i opted for that and i pick it up on Saturday. Money was not a problem regarding buying a STI, it might be only me but i am not that keen on the look of the STI. I am not keen on the seats or the rear wing, Oh and the wife also said NO!!!!
S'funny, my missus hates the sti look too
Will have to sneak one in anyway one day! LOL.
Old 26 September 2006, 08:52 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Has to be either the STi or a ppp'd/ Ecutek'd WRX (although you can of course buy a std WRX and modify it.

Some folk don't seem to like the 6 speed box (lots of changes) and hard ride
(not so many teeth !) of the Sti. The appearance is subjective, but I prefer the WRX look. Having said all of that, with the Sti you get a great car as standard with lots of modifying potential if that's what you want.
Old 26 September 2006, 10:25 PM
bazwrx300
Scooby Regular

Mate
I have had the same problem after returning my 05 wrx 300. The dealer gave me a new 2.5 wrx. It looked realy well in white with prodrive spoiler and 18 in prodrive wheels but it simply feels to slow. It hs no real excitment when driving and after a while it becomes boring.Thankfully I listened to friends and even the dealer. They all said the car was trying to be an STI so if you really want one, just buy the STI. I collect mine on tuesday from a main subaru dealer, full warranty, new 18 prodrive wheels, only 12000 miles, 2004 model, all for £16000.
Hope this helps. If you buy the wrx you will be regretting it in 6 months!!