Sponsored by:

Is it a stupid question but is it possible

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2006, 02:34 PM
s3emo123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it a stupid question but is it possible

Just wondering is it possible to run a scoob on gas as gas is 116 octane would it effect the performance i know their is some device to advance & retard the timing between gas & petrol as gas is only 35 pence
Thanks
Old 20 September 2006, 04:41 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

some guy in Jap Mag was running LPG on an Impreza Turbo so I guess the answer is yes
Old 20 September 2006, 05:51 PM
andyt5
Scooby Newbie

I deliver lpg to petrol stations for flo gas, so far seen a sport running on gas he said it was fine,and also a turbo forrester. he said his was excellent no loss of power.he also said he had seen impreza turbos on it. he had his done by company in oxford about £1500.
Old 20 September 2006, 05:56 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Try http://www.spongecars.com/
Old 20 September 2006, 06:22 PM
no1nutter
Scooby Regular

read about a guy in jap performance mag, about 2 or 3 bhp diff thats all.
Old 20 September 2006, 10:40 PM
s3emo123
Scooby Regular

Thanks for info
Old 21 September 2006, 10:07 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes it is, we have some scoobies running on LPG here, LPG is lots cheaper and has a higher octain rating, it costs about €2k to get the conversion done here.
Old 21 September 2006, 10:37 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

My old man was running a Ford Explorer that he had converted to LPG. He won't run another car on it. Performance WAS reduced, and after a few months things started going wrong. In 12 months it was at the dealers at least 6 times. It started running really badly, and even cutting out. Once it cut out when I was driving, on a back road, around a tight corner. I couldn't get it round the corner, thank god nothing was coming the other way.......

He sold it soon afterwards.

My advise, from first hand experience, is keep clear of LPG. If you want more MPG get a Diesel.
Old 21 September 2006, 10:53 AM
Generic User
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
My old man was running a Ford Explorer that he had converted to LPG. He won't run another car on it. Performance WAS reduced, and after a few months things started going wrong. In 12 months it was at the dealers at least 6 times. It started running really badly, and even cutting out. Once it cut out when I was driving, on a back road, around a tight corner. I couldn't get it round the corner, thank god nothing was coming the other way.......

He sold it soon afterwards.

My advise, from first hand experience, is keep clear of LPG. If you want more MPG get a Diesel.

I will hazard this is due to the converters and the parts they used moreso than LPG itself.

There are countless cars running perfectly fine, but as with anyother retrofit work (like alarms etc) the conversion is only as good as the installer and equipment used (evaporator, mixer etc).

Bad systems have a habit of blowing up inlet piping and air cleaners to smitherines, not to mention frying MAF sensors in the process. Cheap "mixer" versions are worse for this and will reduce BHP and return poor MPG, especially if installed badly. To all intents it worked like a carburettor, so not exactly "high tech"i, some installers don't even bother with modifying the ignition system to cope with the required timing advance.

More expensive systems use injection as opposed to mixers and thus have much better metering, more reliable, closed loop feedback and proper interfacing with the OE ignition system to maintain fuel encomy and performance. But even then, if the installer hasn't a clue, it's money down the drain.

Having said that, I would only go for LPG if I "had" to have and use the vehicle I'm using and was using it for high mileage or for long-term ownership (minimum 5years). Otherwise I'd just buy a diesel or use a runabout as a primary car.

Last edited by Generic User; 21 September 2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 21 September 2006, 04:11 PM
PMC555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I think the Government has recently announced that the duty would be ramped up on lpg over the next few years 'in line with its environmental benefits relative to other fuels' whatever that means - in other words in a couple of years time it will cost the same as petrol and people will have wasted the money converting their cars
Old 21 September 2006, 04:30 PM
s3emo123
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys nice to hear different opinions on the subject i think i will leave it as it is i have a second car a diesel i just find it hard to bring myself to drive it when the scoobs parked their.
Old 21 September 2006, 04:40 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s3emo123
Thanks guys nice to hear different opinions on the subject i think i will leave it as it is i have a second car a diesel i just find it hard to bring myself to drive it when the scoobs parked their.
Get a better diesel
Old 21 September 2006, 05:07 PM
miltski
Scooby Regular

if the octane level is higher would lpg be better on turbo'd cars, would the car be able to run more boost with less chance of det?