Sponsored by:

Notice of intended prosecution

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2006, 04:26 PM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notice of intended prosecution

A few weeks ago I passed a "safety" camera doing 40 which I thought was the speed limit for the road I was on (dual carriageway with central reservation and continuous barrier, this was not a piece of road which pedestrians would use to cross), i'm not making excuses here the limit was 30 and I got nabbed, had I known the limit was 30 then thats the speed I would have been doing as I saw the camera before I passed it.

My question is this?

According to section 172 of the road traffic act a notice of intended prosecution needs to have been sent within 14 days of the offence taking place.

I received mine 7 weeks after the offence took place, after many attempts I managed to speak to a jobsworth at "Strathclyde safety camera partnership" who informed me that one had been sent out to me within the 14 day period, no recorded delivery was used and I didnt receive it.

Has this happened to any of you guys? Did you fight it in court and did the case get thrown out because of it?

Thanks in advance
Old 29 August 2006, 04:38 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Hi

2 pieces of advice here mate, firstly, dont bite as there will be a 10+ page thread of abuse and lessons to follow lol

secondly, get yourself to thi website and take it from there, you will find all you need to know right here http://www.pepipoo.com/

cheers

john
Old 29 August 2006, 04:41 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

^^ as John said
Old 29 August 2006, 05:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Yup, Pepipoo Don't fill in the NIP CLICKY
Old 29 August 2006, 06:27 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

If you can say Yes to all these questions then you have good case and is worth fighting

Have you owned said vehicle for a long time (year or more)

Is the DVLA V5 doc address correct

Have you lived at same address for a year or more

Are you the registered keeper of the vehicle

Nicholson-v-Tapp [1972] case law to back up your argument

see pepipoo.com
Old 29 August 2006, 07:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would have slowed to 30MPH if you knew it was 30??

So, I assume you also 'slowed' to 40 as thats what you thought the speed limit was.

Speeding is speeding - you were doing 40+ in a 30 and only slow down for cameras ....... I suggest you pay your money and slow down

How many people have ACTUALLY 'got off' a speeding fine rather than just talk about it????? Not many I would guess!!

Pete
Old 29 August 2006, 07:03 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

i happen to know a certain person who has got an alledged offence thrown out.

there is a difference between alleged and simply getting off with it.

john
Old 29 August 2006, 07:05 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AVI-8
A few weeks ago I passed a "safety" camera doing 40 which I thought was the speed limit for the road I was on (dual carriageway with central reservation and continuous barrier, this was not a piece of road which pedestrians would use to cross), i'm not making excuses here the limit was 30 and I got nabbed, had I known the limit was 30 then thats the speed I would have been doing as I saw the camera before I passed it.

My question is this?

According to section 172 of the road traffic act a notice of intended prosecution needs to have been sent within 14 days of the offence taking place.

I received mine 7 weeks after the offence took place, after many attempts I managed to speak to a jobsworth at "Strathclyde safety camera partnership" who informed me that one had been sent out to me within the 14 day period, no recorded delivery was used and I didnt receive it.

Has this happened to any of you guys? Did you fight it in court and did the case get thrown out because of it?

Thanks in advance
My NIP was sent out 38 days later, i went to court and WON
Old 29 August 2006, 07:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza01
My NIP was sent out 38 days later, i went to court and WON
And how did you win?

Which Court and what time was the hearing?

Pete
Old 29 August 2006, 07:36 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
And how did you win?

Pete
What differance does it make to you Pete??

since when did you become the peoples crusader for legal issues. If there telling porkies so what!! . You spin bulls*it yourself, or is it the fact someone may have pulled off somthing you didnt!!!

I seem to recall you screaming blue murder and looking for every bit of

available spin to evade your potential NIP!!!. And when it didnt arrive you were just as bolshy in saying so.

stick to being a troll, its the only thing your good at

Mart
Old 29 August 2006, 07:37 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

And how did you win?

Pete

Why ?
Old 29 August 2006, 07:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Why ?
Didn't want to put you to all the trouble of posting the technicalities here - a date and time of hearing + The Court name will suffice for me to extract the details myself ..................... I'm genuinely interested and I think everyone else is too!!

You can help everyone!!

Pete
Old 29 August 2006, 07:47 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

For the non believers (Mr.Lewis)

https://www.scoobynet.com/dazza01-vs-crown-t340242.html
Old 29 August 2006, 07:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Well, I hope you learned your lesson and have slowed down now??

Have you been caught since then??

Pete
Old 29 August 2006, 08:02 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Well, I hope you learned your lesson and have slowed down now??

Have you been caught since then??

Pete
Oh yes
Old 29 August 2006, 08:18 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Oh yes
GOOD!!!!! And this time you paid and smiled??

Pete
Old 29 August 2006, 08:19 PM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

You would have slowed to 30MPH if you knew it was 30??

So, I assume you also 'slowed' to 40 as thats what you thought the speed limit was.

Speeding is speeding - you were doing 40+ in a 30 and only slow down for cameras ....... I suggest you pay your money and slow down

How many people have ACTUALLY 'got off' a speeding fine rather than just talk about it????? Not many I would guess!!

Pete

Thanks guys for all of the tips, my doubts about the lagality of my nip have been confirmed.

And Pete no I hadn't slowed to 40, I was doing 40 because I thought that I was in a 40 limit, my fault for not looking at the roadsign, I'm generally very careful about where I put my foot down a bit and it's gererally on a quiet country road. I suppose thats the reason why up until now I've been able to drive for nineteen years without a speeding conviction.
Old 29 August 2006, 08:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys for all of the tips, my doubts about the lagality of my nip have been confirmed.

And Pete no I hadn't slowed to 40, I was doing 40 because I thought that I was in a 40 limit, my fault for not looking at the roadsign, I'm generally very careful about where I put my foot down a bit and it's gererally on a quiet country road. I suppose thats the reason why up until now I've been able to drive for nineteen years without a speeding conviction.
19 years??

19 years??

try my 64 years!!!!

Good luck though!

Pete
Old 29 August 2006, 08:52 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

19 years??

19 years??

try my 64 years!!!!

Good luck though!

Pete
More spin Pissy??? seem to recall you saying you were in your 70,s...

according to this statement would make you 81, rather old for a consultant, and certianly out of the loop with current developments. 17yrs past retirement, your current knowledge would be of little value. or is it another walter mitty statement

mart
Old 29 August 2006, 09:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm 78 and started driving at 14 .... as you could then!!

Pete
Old 06 February 2007, 10:01 AM
Moray
Scooby Regular

I'm 78 and started driving at 14 .... as you could then!!

Pete
Still alive then
Old 06 February 2007, 01:31 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

My question is this?

Thanks in advance
Bad luck mate, the same thing happened to my ex-boss. Apparently as long as they sent it out within the time its valid regardless of whenever you get it. However I dont see how it would stand in court unless they had a receipt to prove it had been sent...

Not that i'm saying it would work, (or that its politically correct before any one shouts at me!) but i'd try and avoid it as long as possible, i'm fairly sure theres a time limit for prosecution too. Anyway to cut a long story short, my ex-boss has 6+ outstanding tickets, never replied to them, called them to ask to go to court and theyve never bothered.... And that was over 2 years ago.

EDIT: followed the link above and found this:
6 Month Rule Explained - FightBack Forums

seems to suggest the time limit is 6 months to send it to CPS for prosecution.... Also there's a link on there saying about the 14 days. They have to give you a damn good reason if it didnt arrive in 14 days....

Last edited by nickyrhodes; 06 February 2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06 February 2007, 02:26 PM
fabiavrs
Scooby Regular

I got caught a few years back same sort of thing I thought is was a 40 but it was a 30 (only doing 34 at the time).

Lucky for me they offered me a £60 fine and speed awareness lessons.
Old 06 February 2007, 03:02 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by nickyrhodes
Bad luck mate, the same thing happened to my ex-boss. Apparently as long as they sent it out within the time its valid regardless of whenever you get it. However I dont see how it would stand in court unless they had a receipt to prove it had been sent...

Not that i'm saying it would work, (or that its politically correct before any one shouts at me!) but i'd try and avoid it as long as possible, i'm fairly sure theres a time limit for prosecution too. Anyway to cut a long story short, my ex-boss has 6+ outstanding tickets, never replied to them, called them to ask to go to court and theyve never bothered.... And that was over 2 years ago.

EDIT: followed the link above and found this:
6 Month Rule Explained - FightBack Forums

seems to suggest the time limit is 6 months to send it to CPS for prosecution.... Also there's a link on there saying about the 14 days. They have to give you a damn good reason if it didnt arrive in 14 days....
This is not correct, the nip must be served within 14 days after the alleged offence. Nicholson V Tapp, is the case alw to back up this position.

If a nip is sent via registered post or better will be deemed to be served, irrespective of whether it is delivered or not. Most safety camera partnerships use first class post, which can be rebutted in court as to its service.

note your boss has been VVV lucky

Andy
Old 06 February 2007, 03:40 PM
wakko
Scooby Regular

Talking of Safety Partnerships, i took the time to have a look at the Lancashire Partnership for Road Safety website.

Lancashire Partnership for Road Safety

Just take a look at some of the answers on the Speeding and Safety Cameras FAQ's. Some of the answers are blatantly inaccurate and misleading.

Of course they are justifying their own existence.

Gits.