ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Daylight saving time

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2000, 08:37 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What does the panel think about the pros and cons of "daylight saving time" (and should it be moved)?

The AA are harping on about keeping BST all year round - and "suggest" the fact that it will save thousands of lives!

Me, maybe i am missing something here, but the amount of day-light is pretty much fixed for a given day of the year. Given the choice i would rather have bright MORNINGS rather than evenings - long live GMT.

Whaddya think?

mb
Old 29 October 2000, 08:43 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Cool

Most peoples leisure time is in the evenings. It's so depressing to go dark at 4.30pm in december
BST.......YES

You know it makes sense......
Old 29 October 2000, 09:44 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

I vaguely remember reading some research stating that people are more alert in the mornings (they obviously didn't include me in their sample) and less so after a hard days work, so more daylight in the evenings would make the world a safer place.

Cheers

Simon
Old 29 October 2000, 10:28 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Always comes back to the Schools and Farmers if I remember.

I have some consideration for those who work early in the morning as I get up at 4.00am myself.

Only thing I struggle with is enough daylight to clean the Scoob.

Lee
Old 29 October 2000, 11:06 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Simes

Peoples body clock is the same but dependant on location (world) not time (of day) surely? Therefore, there is no such thing as more light in the morning/evening but 21st century humans perception of time & its relevance to their state of being.

Old 29 October 2000, 11:07 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Oh BTW, I have thought for a long time that we should move 30 mins into the middle & call it quits
Old 30 October 2000, 08:02 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Some people get seasonal affective disorder (SAD) which means that they get depressed, fatigued, etc. when it gets dark in Winter. Apparently this is made worse by it turning dark around 4pm when everyone is still at work.

I hate it personally when we go to work and its dark and you come back home and its dark.
Old 30 October 2000, 08:04 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hos!

You ain't done the right ski-ing if you think it's boring!

Jon "87 weeks on snow and still loving it" Moss

Old 30 October 2000, 08:24 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

In my humble opinion I believe that BST should be in force all year round.

When I at at sea in the early seventies, the UK ran an experiment whereby during the winter we kept BST and during the summer we advance the clocks to GMT +2. Boy what a difference this made to sunlight and lower energy consumption all round.

The experiment ran for 3 years and was abandoned if my memory serves me correctly in around 1977 or thereabouts. The reason we went back to old ways was cos of the farmers, milk delivery people and kids going to school...the same reasons offered now.

When one thinks about our world and general energy consumption, we as a nation use naff all power in the mornings. Take yesterday, my lights were on in the house at 430pm!

The nations energy consumption peaks during the winter months between 4pm and 7pm just when all the school kids come home, mums and dads return home, on go the house ligths, on goes the central heating, on goes the telly, on goes the oven etc etc...our power consumption of electricity goes wild.

Why in the hell cant we be more energy conscious and engage in BST in the winter and GMT +2 in the summer.
Old 30 October 2000, 12:20 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Not bothered either way but the extra hour in bed messed up my body clock.I woke up half an hour after I should have been at work with no memory of turning both alarms off .I was also in such a hurry I forgot to turn the burglar alarm off waking the whole house in the process. Bugger!

[This message has been edited by AndyMc (edited 30 October 2000).]
Old 30 October 2000, 12:51 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Wink

Would be good... It would mean an extra hour on the ski slopes this Winter (Snowboarding of course as the other is too boring nowadays )

I woke up this morning... went in as usual to find myself an hour early - Overkeen or what! (didn't set the clocks back lastnight)

[This message has been edited by Hos (edited 30 October 2000).]