Sponsored by:

Tyre shine nearly killed me!

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2006, 12:47 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Tyre shine nearly killed me!

Greeting most worthy followers of the Scoobynet!

Check this out . . .There I was . .Spent nearly 8 hours detailing my car . .2 coats ot of P21S, 2 coats of tyre shine . . .Just about two coats of everything! . .Perhaps I was , this evening, driving the shiniest SUBARU in the land . . .

However . . .

I applied two coats of tyre shine . . . After doing some driver training with the HPc, I wore down the part of the tyre where the side wall of my meets the tread - it is now completely bold for about 1/4 inch of the tread . . (but still legal) . .

What I never appreciated, is that the tyre shine, penetrated this crucial part of the tyre . . So as I am approaching a roundabout, I see a puny 205 trying to give it . .Me - being in the shiniest Subaru in the land, decide to teach it a lesson . . .So . .

AS a reach the apex of the corner, I still do not appreciate the effect of the tyre shine on my grip, and I decide to do a "little "Scandianavian flick", which quite unexpectedly resulted in my car going completely sideways, WRC style, and inspite of me letting go of the steering wheel, the car completely refused to search for grip, and me running out of road . . I ended up on the grass verge (not killing anyone - including myself or my passenger) . .Though in retrospect my life flashed before my eyes . . .

I have done Scandinavian flicks before, but they all ended under controll . .So please , please please!!! Be careful with the tyre shine, because your lateral grip is reduced dramatically, and have you ever had experince with this sort of things???? . . .I know tyre shine is not good for grip . .But I never expected to turn the road in to a complete Ice Rink . . .

Answers on a post card . .

p.s . .Guy in the Peugeot most likely though I was a *****!

Last edited by WRX300MAN; 16 July 2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 16 July 2006, 01:31 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
completely bald for about 1/4 inch of the tread . . (but still legal) . .
1.6mm across the centre 3/4 of the tread, and visible tread to the outer edge. I'm afraid the 1/4" of "completely bald" renders them illegal

Last edited by corradoboy; 16 July 2006 at 02:16 AM.
Old 16 July 2006, 01:39 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tyre Shine did not nearly kill u...it was more the condition of your tyres...
Old 16 July 2006, 01:44 AM
killa
Scooby Regular

Any pics of the clean motor?
Old 16 July 2006, 02:30 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Suggest a few more psi in the tyres if your driving style is so agressive to run on the outer edges and sidewalls round islands.

Little wonder many people here suffers from sidewall split on their tyres due to them driving like loons all the time on stock pressures

Last edited by Shark Man; 16 July 2006 at 02:32 AM.
Old 16 July 2006, 07:07 AM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Perhaps the 'Scandanavian Flicks' should be left for driver training days and the track, not the public highway.
Old 16 July 2006, 08:06 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

"OH my god someone put their foot down!!!, lets attack him !!!!".
"Save it for the track"
"Loon! He drives aggressively!!!"
"Not on a public road i hope!!! "

Sooo many nuns driving scoob's these days .
I learnt with things like years years ago when i was an apprentice motorbike mechanic. As a scivvy i used to do a lot of valeting, using several "shining" products, some of which were lethal if they even went near brake discs and could have killed if it touched the tyres. On many occasions customers would complain they could have crashed due to these products, so i refused to use them. Tyre shine is very dangerous, anything that will laquer in a way over your contact to the road should be removed from sale.
Old 16 July 2006, 08:23 AM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

most of these shining products do say not to use on the whole tyre, most are designed for the outer part only, dont go spraying it all over your tyres whats the point. you

also every one i have used states never to use on bikes (94impreza) its a big no, no!
Old 16 July 2006, 08:24 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

yes, i have found this

which is why whern doing any valets at work we put the shine on pretty early to let it dry out, and never EVER let anybody go through the wash and pull around for some tyre shine

the previous bloke used to charge an extra £1 to let one of the lads whip around with sum tyre stuff after they have been through the wash, for the sake of a measly £1 its not worth it when jonny public crashes into a bloody wall 2 mins later.

what i do now is flog them a tin of spray, so they can do it themselves and sue whoever makes the stuff
Old 16 July 2006, 08:30 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sparky300
also every one i have used states never to use on bikes (94impreza) its a big no, no!
No m8, i meant stuff like "back to black" for black plastic which when spraying can find its way onto discs or tyres. I'd never use anything directly on tyres, tyre shine looks fake and tyres from the factory are never glossy.
Old 16 July 2006, 08:30 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

some tyre dressing is pretty nice IMO

and TBH most paintwork from the factory is not very glossy either
Old 16 July 2006, 08:33 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
some tyre dressing is pretty nice IMO

and TBH most paintwork from the factory is not very glossy either
Who said it was ?
Old 16 July 2006, 08:34 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

the point is

some people like stuff glossy

saying that tyres dont come out the factory = not glossy
means nothing
Old 16 July 2006, 08:47 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

My point is tyres won't look like new because they are shining, when they aren't shining when they are brand-spanking. If people choose to make their tyres shine then thats up to them, its obvious whats been used on them, that'd be why i said tyre shine looks fake.

Last edited by 94impreza; 16 July 2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old 16 July 2006, 09:10 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

HPC training is

Suppose the softly softly approach might be best next time

Did you do a moving brake test before this incident, would have been interesting to see if that would have picked up your loss of adhesion?

At least you can live to fight another day, I spun my car on the road for the first time a few days ago - hit a massive diesel spill that I had not seen on a corner and I was off, the TC/ABS/DSC/ABD etc etc just gave up and I was on my own - no damage done as speed was not that high and thankfuly the other cars behind me all FWD so U/S was their problem rather than O/S. Anyway later in the day you have chance to sit down and think about what happened and why and then put that into your bag of tricks for the next time.
Old 16 July 2006, 10:31 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with having a some safe fun on the road, but a 'Scandinavian flick'? Come on!

So basically you were doing a bit a drifting on the public road with tyres that were blad at the edges , covered in polish.... and you lost it.
Lesson well learnt I hope.

Deliberatley inducing a slide on the public is a little stupid regardless of how good you a driver you are. As you obviously found out.
Think you would have been even more miffed had you crashed your nice shiney scoob which you had spent 8 hours detailing!
Old 16 July 2006, 10:33 AM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Nothing wrong with having a some safe fun on the road, but a 'Scandinavian flick'? Come on!

So basically you were doing a bit a drifting on the public road with tyres that were blad at the edges , covered in polish.... and you lost it.

Deliberatley inducing a slide on the public is a little stupid regardless of how good you a driver you are. As you obviously found out.
Think you would have been even more miffed had you crashed your nice shiney scoob which you had spent 8 hours detailing!
Ah the old SNET holier then thou attitude

That the time? I must be going now to go get a life.instead of sitting on a keyboard listening this.
Old 16 July 2006, 11:45 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN

Driving like a **** nearly killed me!

But luckily it didn't and nobody else got hurt either. Hope you learned your lesson there chap.
Old 16 July 2006, 11:52 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bat-Fink
Ah the old SNET holier then thou attitude

That the time? I must be going now to go get a life.instead of sitting on a keyboard listening this.
So you condone poor driving?
Good for you.
Old 16 July 2006, 12:46 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Smile Thanks for your contributions!

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
but a 'Scandinavian flick'? Come on!

Good Morning lads , and thanks for all your contrubutions!

Truth is, I really did expect it to recover . . .But let me tell you - I woke up this morning, and am pretty happy to be alive . .I will be much nicer to people! . .The truth is - HPC training is excellent, but my lesson is now learned! . .I think I need another lesson soon! .The skills that can get you out of trouble, are the same skills that can get you in trouble! .The car simply refused to respond, and the self aligning torque of the tyres was obsolescent due to the state of the tyre and the tyre shine! . . . . But I was truly astounded, how much the shine could affects the lateral grip of the tyre . . .I know the outer edges were worn, but the still performed adequately without the tyre shine! . . .

Also . .I did use the shine exclusively for the wall, but it did over lap on the tread by a few millimetres . . .Quite unintentionaly!

Another point is . . The outer edger are indeed worn by about half an inch, and a quarter (completely bold) . .Infact - I think a girl with strong nails is capable of puncturing the tyre . . .But I am sure they are still legal . . Another question is ofcourse is whether thay are still roadworthy! . .

I think this is one of the situations where I have flicked 50 times, and it all went well, but on the 51 time, it just went t*ts up . . .Yes . . .I do consider myself lucky . . Did not have it sprinkled with holy water for nothing hey??? . . .

Anyhow . . It was alittle bit like bringing the WRC back home! My friend now calles me FLYMO man, due to the bits of grass stuck under my car!

p.S . . .Somebody asked me if I could post the pics of my shiny SUBARU . . .Could someone please explain to me how to do this as have not done this before . . . .And how do you hide the number plate???

Last edited by WRX300MAN; 16 July 2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 16 July 2006, 12:49 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

He has to go and do his school holiday home work.
Old 16 July 2006, 12:57 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Who does