Sponsored by:

Trackdays - good fun ??

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2001, 10:30 PM
airhead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Just being devils advocate here, as i'm definately pro-trackdays, but my m8 is definately anti-trackdays.

I've never done one but certainly aspire to doing one someday. It must be excellent to actually own a (very) fast car, know how it handles, and actually push it to the limit, or pretty close to the limit without being reckless of course. His attitude is "you don't want to do that, you wanna hire a car (handling unknown etc) and push that round the track instead"

I think I'd rather take my car out there, but what do other people think ?

Read the Donnington thread at lunchtime, and also the pics too, sound great, but sorry to hear about MTR. Don't know what happened but it sounds bad.

airhead.
Old 06 November 2001, 12:44 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I went to Donno on Saturday, had some passneger laps, met a load of new folk,it was briliant

Went again today and took my Fiesta on for the afternoon, absolutely fantastic You don't need a fast/powerfull car to have fun, at 100BHP mine must of been the least powerfull car on track but I still had fun with somes Scoobs and Evo's... no seriously I did!! The instructor said my lines were briliant, better than some of the other guys with big toys who don't listen

I managed to avoid a spinning Mitsubushi thingmy, evo 1 lancer possibly and a spinning Scoob, which was nice

Bob
Old 06 November 2001, 08:37 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Does Judith charmers have a passport!!!!
Old 06 November 2001, 11:58 AM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'd recommend trying out on an airfield a couple of times before hitting the track - less things to damage the car with on airfields, and if you don't like it, it's cheaper, if you do, you've got some experience.

Simon (done 3 airfield days, will be lining up some more and a 'real' track in 2002 I hope).
Old 06 November 2001, 12:49 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
Went to Donington on Saturday. First time
Will definitely be doing this again.
Old 06 November 2001, 12:54 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Some track days, the organisers get a bit ****, with loads of rules to stop you really learning about how your car handles ( Silverstone is a classic example ).
To discover your car, you really do need to find where its limit is, how it will react if you need to avoid and obsticle whilst cornering fast etc etc. In doing so you WILL spin it ( its also good to find out how your car reacts in a spin, and how things like dipping the cluch when you start to spin can exacerbate the problem ). A lot of track days threaten to eject anyone that 'spins' their car.
I would reccomend an airfield day as well, so you can find the car and your limits safely.
But before you do any track day you should spend a half day with a race school to find out about braking, cornering etc.

Lambo
Old 07 November 2001, 08:29 PM
KONABOY
Scooby Regular

Cool

I think that you can have fun at a track day in any car, be it your own, or borrowed, super car or banger. Depends what you want from the day. If your really serious about learning to become a better driver, then taking out a few unknowns (like an unusual car) is bound to help. If you want to spend the whole day drifting the car and making lovely screeching noises then choose your venue carefully. Silverstone's mentioned above and Brands is the same - any tyre squeal is interpreted as being out of control and you'll get black flagged. That said, if it's your first time out, it does mean that it's less intimidating.

Whatever you choose, do it! It's great fun. (Don't recommend the hire car route though - you'll get a genuinely crappy car but it'll cost you ten grand if you bend it).

Tony (been a track day junkie for about 18 months - see www.xr4x4.co.uk for the evidence)