Sponsored by:

subaru wrx 2001 bug eye !

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2006, 04:28 AM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question subaru wrx 2001 bug eye !

hello you lot im new to the site HELLO !

im after some good advice iv traded my dreaded mercedes for a 2001 wrx bug eye , was wanting to know how i could tune this car to about 250 bhp , im in newcastle (north east) so any advice on a good place to take the car for tuning would be a real help , one more thing are the brakes up to the job ?? because i had a test drive and didnt think much of the brakes at all fade fade fade .
bring on the info ladys and gents
Old 07 July 2006, 08:19 AM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the site mate, I have an 01 bug too and you're right the brakes aint buch kop at all. Swap them for some vented discs and you'll notice the difference! Got any pics. I'm up in Newcastle next weekend so I'll be scooby spotting........after the lady spotting naturally!!
Old 07 July 2006, 09:42 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The brakes do suck.
Your options in this area are for different pads and grooved discs up front or go to (lets see if I can get it right) www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk and look at their upgrade kits
As for performance, check with your insurer first but you can go for an exhaust and a remap which should be good for 265-270bhp, cost of around 1k-1200 quid (and a non-oiled panel filter like an STi or Green one).

Tony
Old 07 July 2006, 11:58 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the bugeye club

I'd join the TTS (Tyne Tees Scoobies) guys and take it from there I've had work done by Alyn at www.asperformance.com in Birtly, Top class !!

Shaun
Old 07 July 2006, 01:10 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the World of the Bug Eyes. Great decision on buying a Scoob.
Im running around the 290bhp mark.
Had an Ecotek remap, Blitz fully decatted exhaust system and ram air induction kit, as well as the all important Shell Optimax fuel.
Your right about the brakes. I've changed the pads for EBC Red stuff all round. Am also looking to change the discs.

Once you get to 250bhp you'll want to keep going. Unfortunately over the 300bhp mark tends to knacker the standard WRX gearboxes, so either keep just below this mark, or uprate to an STI gearbox.

Enjoy
Old 07 July 2006, 10:48 PM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

Default scooby bug eye

thanks a lot for the info stopped me flapping, was thinking i was ferk with only 215bhp put the deposit down without checking the power output on the bug eye . cheers !

bring on the modifications .
Old 08 July 2006, 12:07 AM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

You can get upwards of 250BHP reasonably cheaply and believe me it's worth it. The best thing I did with my 02 WRX though was improve the handling. Had me smiling more than the decat and remap, although that too was a great improvement.
Old 08 July 2006, 12:25 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SNet

Echo all the above advice except the EBC pads I wore mine out in 6k miles and it wasn't my driving style. The OE crap lasted 9k from 1/2 worn when I bought it and the Ferodo DS2000 replacements lasted 14k and 2 trackdays. I can recommend a cheaper route to good brakes though. Just fit braided lines (£45) with DOT5.1 fluid (£10) and the aforementioned Ferodo (£90) pads. Tighten up the handling with a Whiteline rear ARB and some solid links (iro £140 all in) along with a good geometry set-up and you'll have a good car.
Old 08 July 2006, 10:36 AM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

Strange about your EBC brake pads. My last set lasted me over a year, hence the reason why I replaced them with the same this time around.
Old 08 July 2006, 02:16 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Age old issue with the EBCs. Some of the old compound ones got at best mixed reviews and appeared to have poor life. The new ceramic reds are generally highly rated.

Agree that DOT 5.1 and braided hoses are well worthwhile upgrades, I've had that plus some uprated pads alround /front discs (all Tarox, courtesy of Powerstation). As I've got the rally plusspec pads, initial bite is only a fairly subtle improvement, although feel is much improved. However, these ones get better if you start really using them. Throw in suspension geometry, decent tyres, and 284bhp/272lbft torque and it's a reasonably quick car in any normal circumstances (mine's an 02, but the differences to the 01 are pretty small)
Old 08 July 2006, 02:27 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SN Gareth and the Bug Owners Club

Anthony, 02 Sti
Old 08 July 2006, 04:27 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

When I bought the EBC's I ask JW Racing to ensure they sent me the newest compound, being fully aware of the history of the pads and that they had improved. I was aghast when the dreaded wear indicators started grinding and believed the clips must have been bent out of line during transportation/fitting. A quick inspection proved otherwise, and as I was due on track very soon after they had to go. I was happy with their performance whilst fitted, but I was also equally happy with the Ferodo's which also satisfied my expectations of wear so I see no reason to try EBC's again. I'm currently running Mintex 1155's and although I am happy with their performance, I have never used such a dirty pad and will be either reverting to the Ferodo or trying Pagid next time.
Old 08 July 2006, 05:10 PM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

Default wrx bug eye

thanks for the info guys

who is the best person to set these cars up im in newcastle but i think it would be worth it to travell for the right service and knowledge keep the info comming . what should i buy first ? exhaust or air filter both ? ecu remap ?

help !
Old 08 July 2006, 05:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

For local info get in touch with the guys in the TTS (Tyne Tees Scoobs). If you're doing a full or partial decat then it must go hand in hand with a remap to be safe and get the best out of it so price usually dictates how soon people go down that route. Budget £1k+. The air filter can be done anytime, and a Green, K&N or JR Racing panel will only be around £45. The best value over return mod is the rear ARB and I'd always recommend doing it straight away. Remember, the stock brakes struggle so before adding power think about how you're going to stop it.
Old 08 July 2006, 05:47 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Decat up and down pipe,CEL fix,back box(for the burble)but not essential,knocklink(for monitoring det),dawes device set at 1.1 bar will see you have the edge on a newage STi.
Worlds above the std WRX in performance/feel-not exactly sure what power it runs like this though,but as said before,it'll pull up against an STi even from a rolling start!!!
All in for about £550 tops if you DIY.

Gary

Edited to say- Aftermarket panel filters only add about 3bhp over std if youre lucky.Only worth changing if going over 300bhp imo

Last edited by easyrider; 08 July 2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08 July 2006, 06:09 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

^^^ And without a suitable map the lean running due to the greatly enhanced gas flows could add £2-4k to that price to cover the rebuild. Always map to both get the best from the investment and ensure safety and reliability. The initial software license is IRO £600, after that any tweeks for future mods only cost the mappers time.
Old 08 July 2006, 07:02 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoboy
^^^ And without a suitable map the lean running due to the greatly enhanced gas flows could add £2-4k to that price to cover the rebuild. Always map to both get the best from the investment and ensure safety and reliability. The initial software license is IRO £600, after that any tweeks for future mods only cost the mappers time.
I know what youre saying, but from my own experiences, the bugeye WRX ecu can cope with these mods pretty well-AFR's dont go leaner than 11.1-1 even at top end revs-and it doesnt advance the ignition too far like on the STi's-ie keeps it pretty safe.It only struggles when you then start to do airbox/induction kit mods,which is why i feel its best to stick to std concidering what little gains you get with induction mods.
It even copes with 1.25 bar boost,but to err on the side of caution its best to set it to 1.1.-This has all been monitored/tested over a 2.5 year period.

Gary.
Old 08 July 2006, 07:38 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Question

not been on here for a while.....
just got a 2003 WRX PPP, wheres the closest place to Wakefield for a good remap ?

I have used TSL in the past, but that's a fair few miles away.

cheers,
shunty
Old 08 July 2006, 07:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Pat at Scoobyclinic. I think HDC use Richard Bulmer, but it might be Pat as my memory is bad.
Old 08 July 2006, 08:02 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Pat at Scoobyclinic. I think HDC use Richard Bulmer, but it might be Pat as my memory is bad.
cheers corradoboy.
found their website, it's a lot closer for me than Nottingham.

will speak with them soon & see what they can do for me.

cheers, shunty :-)
Old 09 July 2006, 11:17 AM
speed demoness
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GROWLER_GRRRR
thanks for the info guys

who is the best person to set these cars up im in newcastle but i think it would be worth it to travell for the right service and knowledge keep the info comming . what should i buy first ? exhaust or air filter both ? ecu remap ?

help !

Jason.... i'll give Pete the number to pass onto you at work!

nice to see you got a decent car
now all we need to do is to get you a decent bike !
Old 09 July 2006, 11:27 AM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Hello mate look at this thread for power ideas.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=525664