Sponsored by:

New shape or old?

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2001, 08:24 PM
Dave22B
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I do not currently own an impreza. On Monday, I test drove the new WRX at my local dealer.......very impressive, unbelievably fast (their demonstrator is chipped to 260 bhp), handles superbly yet is still well mannered and easy to drive around town. Possibly the ideal car?

Now the dilema, prefering the apearence of the 'old' impreza, I drove a '98 S yesterday. The ride was noticealbly harder (test drove the same route) and the engine seemed very reluctant through town at low revs...not happy at 30 mph in fourth!

Was the old one a bad example, or is it worth living with the ugly looks of the new model for the better ride quality and driveability around the houses?
Old 04 November 2001, 08:47 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

horses for courses.

I suspect the 98 S model you drove was not at it's best. Newer cars have better low down driveability.

IF you can afford it, I would go for the new model, and then add some extra styling mods to it(lights and spoiler). It then looks far better than before.

The old model IS quicker is standard form in a straight line and you will feel the shove in the back a lot more than in the new model.

IF you relish the harder ride, 'more in your face peformance' and direct steering and you can put up with the worse interior and lack of refinement then go for the old model.

Also take into account that MY00 old models can be had for around 14-17K that then allows you 5 grand to spend on brakes/engine/exhaust performance mods or even to go towards the first few years running costs.

For example MY00 costs say 16 grand, add a prodrive performance pack(PPP) (1700 quid) and AP 6 pot brakes(2 grand) you'll have a car that will leave a standard MK2 for dead(and most other Impreza's too) and still have 1300 quid left over, and an intact Subaru Warranty. The PPP gives the car far more low down torque and so makes the car VERY drivable around town.

Is the new car worth an extra 5K? If so go for it, no matter what you buy you'll be grinning sooner rather than later.

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 11/4/2001 8:52:43 PM]
Old 04 November 2001, 09:00 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Do you do lots of miles ?

If so the new shape is without a doubt a much better car. The old shape let in a lot more road noise, the suspension as you have found is not as good. The new shape really does have a great chassis. The handling is better as well.

Performance wise

I dont think there really is a lot in it between the old and new shape std Turbo's. With PPP its still very even. What you might lose on a LONG LONG straight you will catch up in the corners.

Modding

As Neil points out you can save some money buying an old shape and spending the money on mods. If you intend to do track days and are heavily into modding this might be for you.

After owning three UK old shapes and now a UK300 I would certainly rate the UK300 way above the old car. With a couple of styling mods it certainly looks better as well. The old car is looking very dated IMHO.

If you were asking about P1 vs New Shape, did a small number of miles, and the driving experience was key, then I might recommend an old P1.

Jonathan
Old 04 November 2001, 10:41 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

For me I would say the older shape, although new one is growing on me (OMG did I say that). The ride is far superior, not sure about the handling though.

I like to raw look of the older one, so funny when you get a non-car person in the car Wolf in sheeps clothes springs to mind!!! They're faces when you launch it

I thought the WRX felt slow in comparision.

Agree with everything chins has said!!! Although I don't think he had a MY99 / 00. I love mine, I think very refined compared to earlier models.

I think there is a lot of bollocks on here about brake upgrade. I have standard four pots, and they're great. Although I haven't done any track days on them. Two pots are pants.

PPP ecu is nice on a MY00, although I haven't gone there yet with mine. I have a Scoobysport decat downpipe and BB, standard middle cat. The sound is fantastic. I don't like induction kits though, far too noisy!!!

Another mod for a Scooby I recommend to all is SO2s and Pro-drive cambers. Oh Hello!!!!

Cheers Phill C

PS P1s are the dogs bollocks....
Old 04 November 2001, 11:44 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Babber

I had a MY00 before you were out of nappies . Wife put a big dent in it when it was two days old. Then Telewest sponsored my P1

Jonathan
Old 04 November 2001, 11:49 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Bought your P1!!!!

Cheers Phill C
Old 05 November 2001, 08:17 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dave 22b,

Old vs new is a long running sore on this BBS and is reflected elsewhere in the press when you research the cars. At the end of the day its horses for courses.

I personally preferred old and cancelled my WRX over a MY00 (which I have now changed for a P1). Others though prefer the new WRX.

As to your driving impressions of the MY98 I would say that you should also try the MY99/MY00 cars. These have slightly more power and I definitely found my MY00 more driveable than my MY98. That said neither is as good round town as a WRX (but then thats not why we buy them is it?).

Whichever you buy you wont be disappointed.
Old 05 November 2001, 09:26 AM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

Smile

I had the same sort of dilemma in July this year. Went looking at a new WRX (approx 21k)and noticed a MY99 on the forecourt for under £15k (i prefer the old shape anyway). Rather than me being the poor sod who lost approx £8 in 24 months I bought the MY99, extended the warranty until mid 2004 and I feel much better for it. Given that a significant number of people aren't keen on the new shape it may not bode well for residuals.
It is your decision but I am glad I did what I did.