Sponsored by:

XXXXXXXXX ,you know on the 25. December

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2001, 06:44 PM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

As will be with us soon, I just want to know,are we allowed to make any reference to it here on this BBS ??? As it seems to be non "PC" etc.Local councils saying we cannot have XXXXXXXXX trees etc just in case we upset someone...........

Would hate to see a post closed because of a complaint !!!!
Could Moderators let us know ??
Old 04 November 2001, 10:24 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Am i the only one here who has no idea what you are talking about?
Old 04 November 2001, 10:29 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Hos ,Read the papers, maybe listen to "Talk Sport " with Mike Dickens in the mornings etc

Old 04 November 2001, 10:35 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Cool

right...
Old 04 November 2001, 10:35 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont know what he is talking about - anyone enlighten me?
Old 04 November 2001, 10:42 PM
Captain Sensible
Scooby Regular

Talking

I believe he has read the Daily Mail's annual report to the effect that some alleged left wing council somewhere in Britain has banned reference to Christmas.

This report has featured in the Daily mail every year since 1645.

Regards

CS
Old 04 November 2001, 10:50 PM
Luke
BANNED

"Daily Mail" ??? do you mind!!! But true, When is all this "PC stuff going to stop??
Old 04 November 2001, 10:58 PM
Captain Sensible
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sorry, didn't mean to offend with ref to Daily Mail

I agree that the PC crap is bollox, but also every year the tabloids report stuff that simply isn't true.

Regards

CS
Old 05 November 2001, 09:03 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I think ChristianR will have to change his name, too...
Old 05 November 2001, 01:16 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well you may *think* is sounds so silly that it's not true but get this...

I work for an American company and two years ago (the first Christmas after they bought us (British company before that)), we were told to change any interal and external "communications" which mention Christmas to holidays.

e.g. Client Christmans cards which say "Merry Christmas" became Holiday Cards saying "Happy Holidays". This is due to the fact that the Americans think that to say "Merry Christmas" is to in some way "insult" the members of their society that do not celebrate Christmas

Now, in a country like America, they *may* at least have a possible point (due to vast multicultural society with no real "American culture" (as such)), as far as I know, their country has never been officially "Christian", but I'm not really sure so can't say for certain. What I am fairly certain of ( ), is that England is well and truly, officially, a Christian country and therefore, we officially celebrate "CHRISTMAS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally think it's bordering on racism. There's nothing wrong with greater understanding between cultures, but to try and ban things that define our culture really gets me mad [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] (see!) I think this kind of thing actually inflames racial tension, rather than eases it!!

Why can't different cultures just be allowed to celebrate their respective celebrations and co-exist without the PC brigade, trying to make things more complicated than they really need to be!!! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

The thing is , stuff that happens in the USA usually (unfortunately), finds it's way over here.....

Back to the original point, don't beleive half of what you read in the gutter press but, these things often have a (if small) basis in fact!!!

Matt
Old 05 November 2001, 02:42 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

There was actually a report a couple of weeks ago which came to the conclusion that all this PC stuff has actually be counter-productive. For goodness sake, my 7 year old Son is taught more about ethnic festivals than Christmas !

Josh's Conclusion.... Take all the PC persons of varied sexual orientation, colour, race etc, line them up against a neutral grey wall, and shoot them!

Josh

PS I'm afraid that these things are true. Just because you read them in a tabloid, doen't make it fiction.
Old 05 November 2001, 03:15 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

JoshL,
You got a point there. Suzy's kids seem to know loads about Happy Divali than they do about christain things. Think that things are getting a little out of hand here. What's more, at the last school fete they had a 'traditional dancing' thing, we though, yay! kids as morris dancers bashing each other or, country dancing, but no, what did we get, some weird 'traditional' hindu dance thing? huh? Now I'm no racist but since when is that a traditional kentish dance? mad

Old 05 November 2001, 03:18 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Question

Isn't this the reason its also called Xmas (and has been for >100 years?) so no-christians can have a few beers and a plate of turkey as well?
Old 05 November 2001, 04:01 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I'm an atheist and have no problem whatsoever about Christmas. In fact the exact opposite. Apart from the obvious social side of Christmas , I see it as a time for family to be together.

Next they'll be banning Easter eggs because the non-Christian children don't get chocolate eggs on Easter Sunday.

If someone chooses to live in a Christian country and they have a problem with Christmas, they can always return to their country of origin or go to a country whose religion they approve of. Nobody forces them to stay.

Political Correctness has to stop. It causes more racial/sexual/religious etc problems than it claims to solve. Half the time, a white, middle class, C of E, tree hugging do-gooder will complain on behalf of a minority that hadn't even thought about being offended about something.

Round 'em up, put 'em in a field, and bomb the b*****ds!
Old 05 November 2001, 05:04 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

please dont even mention "Snow" !!
Old 05 November 2001, 09:01 PM
ScoobyDan
Scooby Regular

Angry

Slightly off-topic, but still about PC issues:

I got seriously flamed at work last week for adding a 'Happy Halloween' pop-up to our company's Intranet (I'm the webmaster - and I'm brave enough to mention it in public ).

The number of e-mails and posts to our BBS that were received were staggering! The vast majority were happy, but 2 or 3 people were getting REALLY upset! They were claiming that we shouldn't be advertising SATANIC RITUALS and PAGAN FESTIVALS! What a load of loblox! I refrained from correcting these people, to tell them that Halloween is actually a Christian festival to celebrate all of the saints that don't have their own 'Saint's Day' - it would only have turned into a slanging match (flame suit at the ready).

Needless to say, today I added a 'Happy Bonfire Night' message...

Daniel