Sponsored by:

Prodrive P2 question

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2006, 03:56 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prodrive P2 question

Does anyone know if the the wastegate that prodrive used on the P2 is available on the open market?
Old 17 June 2006, 03:38 PM
Andy 02STI
Scooby Regular

If you are just after the flutter noise, I used to get it on my 200sx with Blitz BOV.
Old 17 June 2006, 03:46 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

cheeers andy - never been a big fan of the vta valves but the p2 sounded great
Old 17 June 2006, 03:52 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i dont have a gay VTA and my classic does this
Old 17 June 2006, 04:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The P2 uses a mild anti lag system.

Tony
Old 17 June 2006, 09:39 PM
Andy 02STI
Scooby Regular

The P2 does indeed have anti lag but I would expect the banging from the fuel in the manifolds would outshine the flutter I would think. I hasten to add, I dont have a vta on the scoob, Nissan ones are known to leak hence the VTA which was to be converted to recirc until I saw the STI.
Old 19 June 2006, 11:22 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

The wastegate lets exhaust gas past the turbine to reduce boost. You can't hear this.

A dumpvalve vents positive pressure out of the induction system on gearchanges and you can hear this if it vents to atmosphere or returns into the induction system without any silencing.

What you heard on P2 and most current rally cars is air passing the wrong way through the turbo. When you lift off the throttle the pressurised air in the inlet system has to go somewhere as it's not being consumed by the engine, there isn't enough pressure in the exhaust to keep the turbo spinning fast enough to keep it back so it leaks back through the turbo until the system balances itself out again.

So if you want the noise, fit an induction kit and blank off the dumpvalve. If your intercooler and it's pipes don't split you'll get the noise. Until your turbo dies......

Mike
Old 19 June 2006, 11:43 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWood
The wastegate lets exhaust gas past the turbine to reduce boost. You can't hear this.

A dumpvalve vents positive pressure out of the induction system on gearchanges and you can hear this if it vents to atmosphere or returns into the induction system without any silencing.

What you heard on P2 and most current rally cars is air passing the wrong way through the turbo. When you lift off the throttle the pressurised air in the inlet system has to go somewhere as it's not being consumed by the engine, there isn't enough pressure in the exhaust to keep the turbo spinning fast enough to keep it back so it leaks back through the turbo until the system balances itself out again.

So if you want the noise, fit an induction kit and blank off the dumpvalve. If your intercooler and it's pipes don't split you'll get the noise. Until your turbo dies......

Mike
How long is your turbo likely to last? I have a TD05, front mount and induction kit on mine
Old 19 June 2006, 12:11 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I had a baileys piston dump valve on my GTi-R. That made a similar noise, it's more a triple whistle (sssh-sssh sssh) as opose to a single blase (pssssssh).

If that makes any sense.

I thought the P2 sounded fantastic, love AL too.
Old 19 June 2006, 12:47 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by MikeWood

Mike
Interesting!! my car chirps like the prodrive cars, I was a bit worried about it but after reading this am now quite worried about it. I have an FMIC and APS Induction kit along with a VTA DV.

How can I stop this from happening? or is it not that much to worry about bearing in mind I do have a working DV?
Old 19 June 2006, 08:55 PM
Andy 02STI
Scooby Regular

I think the fluttering noise from the Blitz DV was the actual valve fluttering on mild boost and lift-off which sounds like the wastegate chatter - either way, sounded great but the full VTGA noise was a bit tiring.
Old 19 June 2006, 11:52 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Mike, I've always had a flutter noise from the car under gental acceleration. Is this normal, or do I have one of the prototype P2 engines? Seriously though, I do get some flutter sound.

It's been in for the boost pipe upgrade, in case you ask.

Cheers

Anders
Old 20 June 2006, 09:39 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

If you get the flutter noise under accelleration (high boost) the turbo's surging and that is not good at all (doubt that's what your saying though).

I've had no DV on with my TD05 - 20G for 10K miles (also with anti-lag) and no trouble so far, though the anti lag is even milder than the p2 and used very rarely.
Old 20 June 2006, 09:53 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
If you get the flutter noise under accelleration (high boost) the turbo's surging and that is not good at all (doubt that's what your saying though).

I've had no DV on with my TD05 - 20G for 10K miles (also with anti-lag) and no trouble so far, though the anti lag is even milder than the p2 and used very rarely.
I don't know how you resist, if i had AL it would be hard to turn it off, unless i knew it would melt the turbo & exhaust every month...!
Old 20 June 2006, 10:07 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Easyest way to tell me from your average RB5 is to follow me through a tunnel

It's not really much use on the road unless you're really trying so it's more anti-tailgating really. Mind you, after 2 1/2 years the novelty still hasn't worn off
Old 20 June 2006, 11:21 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Easyest way to tell me from your average RB5 is to follow me through a tunnel

It's not really much use on the road unless you're really trying so it's more anti-tailgating really. Mind you, after 2 1/2 years the novelty still hasn't worn off
I bet!!

Dead Jealous

What type is it? And have you melted/replaced much due to it?
Old 20 June 2006, 11:39 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

it's part of the gems ecu (controlled on the idle stepper motor so not full wrc style).

Nothing damaged or melted yet, like I say though, very ocassional use. The longest it's ever been on for at one time is about 2-3 mins.
Old 22 June 2006, 02:39 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

It happens around 2,500 to 3,000 rpm under acceleration when boost is around 0.5 BAR. It sounds like what you're describing.

If you're running no DV, do you get worse turbo lag with AL switched off.

Cheers

Anders