Poorly scoob, anyone any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2006, 12:50 PM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Poorly scoob, anyone any ideas?

Hi all,

My Impreza is poorly. The other night I was going to derby train station and on the way back the check engine light came on, but it just blinked about 10 times then went off again. It did this another couple of times before I got in, but it was late (and dark) so i left it til morning. When it was doing it I slowed right down but the car seemed to be running fine, not high temps or anything, so wasn't too worried.
Anyway when I looked at it next day, the expansion tank water level
l was about 2 inches below the LOW mark. So I duly thought hmmm found the problem, topped it up a bit and bob was my mum's brother.
Anyway I went out again for a short run later that day, and the light came on again. I checked oil and water again and all the usual stuff, and all seems well.
So I read the owner's manual and it says it is something to do with the emissions system when the light blinks. I phoned the Subaru dealership (its still under warranty) and Dave there says it sounds like a MAF sensor or something. Its just ben serviced about 1000 miles ago, and like I say seems to be running really well.

My car is an 02 bug eye WRX, with 50000 on the clock, and all I've changed is decat centre pipe and back box, and a high flow panel filter.

Anyone had similar experience or have any ideas?

I've got to take it in the garage tomorrow but I just wanted to know could I use it before then or should I put the old air filter and exhaust back on? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.
Old 29 May 2006, 01:09 PM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
5 views and no reply Just after some ideas guys!
Old 29 May 2006, 01:15 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

They will say that if anything you have done to cause the problem,will not be fixed under warranty,personally i would at least put the standard airfilter back in as this is connected to the MAF,that way if it is the MAF they wont have a real exuse to get out putting a new one on.

As for the exhaust i can only think that if you have the original Lambda sensor in the center section this should be ok(this being the original that came with the car)

hope this helps.
Old 29 May 2006, 01:18 PM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, the lambda sensor still connected, had the exhaust on for about 8 months now, asked them about it when it got serviced, they said the warranty wouldn't cover the exhaust, thats it. The air filter got changed about 3 months ago now, and like I say made a real difference to the drive. I will put the old air filter back on for when i take it up to them tho, thanks for the tip.

Dan.
Old 29 May 2006, 01:30 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danwrx1980
Hi mate, the lambda sensor still connected, had the exhaust on for about 8 months now, asked them about it when it got serviced, they said the warranty wouldn't cover the exhaust, thats it. The air filter got changed about 3 months ago now, and like I say made a real difference to the drive. I will put the old air filter back on for when i take it up to them tho, thanks for the tip.

Dan.
yeah it's a 5 min job to put the performance one back in after and it might save you a bit of trouble to have the original one in when they check it over.
Old 29 May 2006, 11:54 PM
stewby2202
Scooby Regular

does,nt a de-cat void your warranty and also requires a re-map,
Old 29 May 2006, 11:57 PM
scoobygez
Scooby Regular

have you got a cel fix on it??
Old 29 May 2006, 11:57 PM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

Its only a centre de cat, I asked them about this at the dealership and they said all it voids is the warranty that covers the actual exhaust itself. I was planning on a remap until my boiler blew up last month and cost me 3 grand!!!
ah well all good fun eh?
Light seems to have gone out now i've got to use my car for work tomorrow but I'll probably take it in on wednesday or thursday.
Old 29 May 2006, 11:58 PM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobygez
have you got a cel fix on it??
never heard of it, so I'm inclined to say no. What is it then I'll give you a more accurate answer
Old 30 May 2006, 12:03 AM
scoobygez
Scooby Regular

just sends signal to ecu to say everthing is ok with exhaust basically goes in ya downpipe??
Old 30 May 2006, 06:24 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

in most center decats (Bugeye) you can keep the lambda sensor in,this way you dont need a cel fix as this was the case with my 02plate wrx,how ever this is not the same if you remove the downpipe cat as you would need a cel fix or remap then.
Old 30 May 2006, 08:02 PM
sang_my02_wrx
Scooby Regular

nothing to do with exhaust, nothing to do with MAF. i had the exact same problem twice and repaired under warranty. light coming on wont do anything to the car or engine but only boost your parranoia (spelling).

you need to get them to change the NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH, this will stop the light from coming on. but to properly cure it, a BIG washer needs to be used to hold it in place, or else it will happen again. took me 3 visits to get rid of the problem, 1st time they just cleared the error code, then they replaced the switch, then they replaced the washer for the switch.