Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsold P1s?

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2000, 10:35 AM
darren f
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passed a local Scooby dealer yesterday to find they had an unsold P1 in their showroom.

The salesman said it was a cancelled order and seemed quite keen to see it sold!! Put it this way, he was still interested after I suggested he made me an p/ex offer I couldn't refuse on MY99!! A bit of a different attitude from 12 months ago!!

How many P1s are still out there unsold... and is deperation going to set in to get them moved prior to the new model?
Old 22 October 2000, 11:24 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Nearly everybody I've spoken to has (or can quickly get) a "cancelled order".

IM were supposed to be switching them round dealers to shift the stock and prevent market awareness of the surplus. Seems it didn't work though and according to the board there are supposed to deals around.

Others believe that they are now only worth about £27k, but its down to personal choice.
With some cars value is driven by dreams and aspirations not just market price and depreciation.
Old 22 October 2000, 11:27 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Talking

One unsold and in the showroom in Jordans of Hull.

Price on the car,

£31,495 !!!!!!!!!
Old 22 October 2000, 01:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Offer him £25k and he will take your hand off

They can't sell'em can they?

Oh dear - wait till January and you will see 'cancelled orders' at around the £22k mark

Just been to the Motorshow and the new model may catch on you know??!!

Pete
Old 22 October 2000, 02:49 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Red face

I think IM still have a fair few. However they are selling pretty quickly now everyones seen the new shape. My dealer sold 4 last week. One after the guy had a go in my car.

Mr Lewis is always posting silly figures for the car. The dealer will have 10% max in the car, so 25k is hardly lightly. I got offered 27.5k for mine 2 weeks ago with the brake upgrade and exhaust (W reg with 5000 miles)

Yes you will suffer depreciation if like me you decide to sell early on. But look at the whole Motor Trade at present. If youve got an STI no one will buy it. There's hundreds in the local rags. Glad I got shot of my STI V when I did.

The new Impreza wont have high power output for at least 15 months, so if its power and the best handling 4 wheel drive car you want theres only one choice. In the future there will always be people that want the old shape and a UK car. So medium to long term I dont think it will be a bad buy.

Jonathan
Old 22 October 2000, 02:58 PM
adge
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Seen a P1 in an advert by scooby dealer 00X model for £28995 colour described as blueberry purple? what ever that is. Doesn't say if any miles.
Old 22 October 2000, 03:20 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just rang Jordans in Hull. No deal on P1 as they do not have any problem selling them.

It's been sat in the showroom for a month!!!!

Expensive piece of furniture me thinks

Scotty.
Old 22 October 2000, 03:23 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Talking

i saw lancasters of reading and sevenoaks last nite both advertising them on their web sites.

each had done between 1000 - 2500 miles.

wanted £31.5k for one and £30k for the other ?

will they sell ?

steve
Old 22 October 2000, 03:53 PM
IanF
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jonathan:
[B, so if its power and the best handling 4 wheel drive car you want theres only one choice.
Jonathan[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought this was a Subaru board, not the Evo board. Jonathan, you are too kind.

Regards
IanF
Old 22 October 2000, 04:50 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ian

I thought all the EVO VI's were sold out they were that good . Or would it be the limited edition RSX which "is moving fast" according to the adverts, but is still available. Or the 10 months at my local Mitsubishi that a Ralliart EVO VI has had to suffer. Like a little orphan looking for a home. I think its problem is that customers come along drive a P1 then the EVO and there is only one choice.

Jonathan
Old 22 October 2000, 05:56 PM
DavieR
Scooby Regular

Spoke to a dealer last week about the P1 (another cancelled order), basically told me, he would be glad to see it go for £28k. If still unsold come the new year, expect to see them at the £25k mark!

Davie
Old 22 October 2000, 07:42 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr Lewis is always posting silly figures for the car. The dealer will have 10% max in the car, so 25k is hardly lightly. I got offered 27.5k for mine 2 weeks ago with the brake upgrade and exhaust (W reg with 5000 miles)
---------------------------------------------

Thanks for that Jonathon!!

You are going to look awfully stupid in January when the P1's are being off loaded

You dont say whether that 27.5K offer for yours was CASH from a dealer?? please dont insult our intelligence and say it was!! I should hazard a guess at saying that it was thier offer to you if you bought thier P1 for list price (ie £7k over the odds) so that makes yours ... let me see now? - £20.5k - thats a more accurate.

Sorry mate we are all looking at losses of course but the sad fact is .... no-one will pay mickey mouse money for a P1 - why should they when the EVO 6 is there?

pete
Old 22 October 2000, 07:46 PM
PeteH
Scooby Newbie

A little of subject for this thread. But mounting evidence proves we are probably the last generation to drive performance cars. It'll be a pursuit of the very rich.

We're increasingly financially penalised for owning and running performance cars. Governments just won't tolerate them anymore. Recent petrol price reductions were for unleaded fuels only, SUL remains the same high price. Insurance costs are through the roof, Impreza classifieds sit unanswered in Autotrader, all future income taxes and road taxes will be paid in relation to emmissions. BHP is next I'd wager.

80% of new cars at the motor show are low power, low emmission, lightweight people carriers.

Bottom line is we own and run Imprezas so everyone here must be reasonably well off and earning in the top 15% salary bracket in the UK (32k+) Over the next few years it'll get worse.

The new Impreza is heavier, slower to 60, no kick in the kidney turbo boost. P1s and Evos sit idle in the showrooms. Is it any wonder. They'll all be worth nothing in five years time.
Old 22 October 2000, 07:57 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Pete H

Don't be so gloomy!

80% of new cars at the motor show have been MPVs full of cup holders for a while now. The motor trade is going through a sticky phase at the moment largely due to weaknesses in the Yen and Euro over the past 3 years.

Regarding depreciation, whether it is a P1 or an STi, the longer you keep it the more time you can spread the cost of it. 2 1/2 years into my STi ownership, I have lost £000s, but I've still got the best car that my wages (less than 32k I might add) can afford. So, I'm still happy - and that's all that matters, isn't it?
Old 22 October 2000, 08:07 PM
PeteH
Scooby Newbie

Dave,

Don't want to appear gloomy, I just feel the squeeze is getting tighter.

You're right about the cash though. It would be easy to get gloomy about residuals, costs etc. if you read many of the messages on the subject on Scoobynet - thousands down the pan. But after todays blast to Sevenoaks, I'd agree it's worth every penny.
Old 22 October 2000, 08:55 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Talking

Do u guys know the first ever passenger car made by Subaru back in 1954 is called the 'P-1'? It's name was changed to 'Subaru 1500' the following year,
Old 22 October 2000, 09:25 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

I popped down to Cheam yesterday and they had an X reg waiting to be collected. They don't seam to have a problem shifting them.

There was also a silver RB5 with PPP and Prodrive wing sitting on the ramps waiting for a service or something. Nice car.

P.
Old 22 October 2000, 11:36 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

"I have lost £000s, but I've still got the best car that my wages (less than 32k I might add) can afford. So, I'm still happy - and that's all that matters, isn't it?"

Dave, couldn't agree more, depreciation is a fact of life. Scoobs held up well until recently that's just good fortune.
If solid residuals are wanted buy a classic & put it on blocks in a heated garage, or get into bricks and mortar.

But if it's smiles per mile stay with the Scooby. Alfa to Volvo it's the same story. Best option is get the company to run it, as some of the lucky sods here do

I'm still happy and that's more than you can say about the bank manager

B.

[This message has been edited by banshi (edited 22 October 2000).]
Old 23 October 2000, 12:27 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Have a look on Subaru's web site in the used car locater. Do a search on the standard 4 door and select price bracket from 28K-30K, 30K-32K, 32K-34K. The last time I checked there were around 20 for sale.

I have been checking on a weekly basis and there are a few that have been there for quite some time.

There are a couple that have had some of the Prodrive mods, leather and special paint job(WRC Livery) that are going for around 32-33K.

Paul
Old 23 October 2000, 11:14 AM
Lou
Scooby Regular

Interestingly, I was talking to one of the chaps at the Subaru stand yesterday and I asked why they weren't importing the 280 psi cars. Answer - there were still loads of P1's about.

Personally I think that answer is about as beleivable as one of the models on the stand telling me that this wasn't happening because you could import them!

PS the women on the Subaru stand were best looking by far
Old 23 October 2000, 06:39 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I think you may find many cancelled orders at dealers. It might be the case that additional discounts were made available for dealers to keep cars on display and in stock and so visible to the public.

AllanB

Old 23 October 2000, 07:26 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Pete H,
Why do you pressume people who own impreza's are well off and earn 32k+,i think some tuning companies must think the same as well with some of the prices they charge.

I dont earn half that and dont have money to burn either, but know how to manage my cash and thats how i bought a brand new impreza turbo, not a P1,all paid for as well,yeah i'll lose shedloads on it but who gives a ****,it's only numbers and bits of paper at the end of the day and it's what i wanted.

Why are people so gloomy and quick to jump on peoples cases just cos there gonna lose a few quid,too many people dont enjoy their money and are too tight to spend it,driving crap around instead of what they really want,i totally agree with you Dave,go out and enjoy yourselves before it's too late.

Paul
Old 23 October 2000, 10:57 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Paul W,

I totally agree with you. I'm sick to death of people telling me what a gorgeous car I drive and then telling me how much money I have lost on it - so far!
Another famous line is, " I was going to buy one but didn't want to have so much money tied up in a car." , Yeah, right.... (I think) as he leans back on his F reg ford fiesta.
I work very hard, want it now and damn well deserve it now. It makes me annoyed to hear people criticize the money I have spent on my car.
It's my money, my life and my GORGEOUS car!!

Scotty.

PS: I feel better now
Old 24 October 2000, 12:15 AM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

The RB5 at Cheam was probably mine, I considered a P1, but elected not to get one as the P1 didn't offer enough bang-for-buck when compared to the RB5 (and I prefer the PIAA's to those ridiculous looking lights).

I think that the P1 will ultimately suffer through poor timing and delays in production, IM should have been producing these vehicles yonks ago!
Old 24 October 2000, 12:37 AM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Smile

I test drove a P1 the other week and it is an awesome car.

IMHO, the advent of the new model shouldn't affect the market for P1's as the new model looks weird, there isn't a really powerful one coming and (again, IMHO) the current shape will be the classic Impreza shape. However, in reality it probably will be affected, so I'll be interested to see if there are any 25k P1's early next year. I think 25k is about the right price.

I got a letter from my dealer saying that P1's are available now because of cancelled orders due to delivery delays. I also asked the dealer what they would sell at and he told me the list price. I wasn't up for buying one right now so I didn't try to bargain with him, but maybe next year...

Old 24 October 2000, 12:37 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Cool

You pays your money, you get what you want..
Cars arent investments, and we are all aware that they depreciate... at the end of the day, if you really wanted a P1 or STi VI or whatever, you pay the price and dont worry about.. cos at the end of the day you've got what you want.. Adore my P1, dont care whats its worth cos it has made my 800 miles travelling a week sooo much more enjoyable... love the B roads on the way to work now

Lost 5K on my 6 month old, W reg, UK turbo, but didnt care, it gave me loads of fun, and the P1 is promising more...

Old 24 October 2000, 08:48 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I have to agree - we may lose some money but there will always be a market for such a great car. I had a BMW 535 for a while - hated it - and halved my money in one year ! My wife had a peugeot 306 gti6 and we lost £7,500 in 15 months - My last scooby we lost £3,500 in 2 years ! So, maybe this time I lose a similar amount to other manufacturers cars - big deal - I've had a fantastic car to use all that time.
Stop being so depressing !
Old 24 October 2000, 10:28 AM
Greg Jones
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Couldn't agree more.
I was just having a conversation with an IT colleague at work yesterday, he bought a saloon Volvo (S80 I think) for £18,000 new 2.5 years ago. Trade in price is now £5,000.

At least we still drive the car that we want. Everytime I get in to my Sti, I realise that I don't really care about the depreciation. Lets face it most cars depreciate, especially in the current climate.
Only worry about depreciation if your desperate to rid yourself of the car right away, for whatever reason.

My tuppence.
Old 24 October 2000, 10:46 AM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don't care how much money my P1 drops.

Have lots of fun driving it!