Sponsored by:

BTCC weekend

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2006, 02:32 PM
mrdmoore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BTCC weekend

Last year I went to the F1 at Silverstone, not a bad weekend but exspensive. I was going to take my 8 yr old lad this year but tickets cost even more, so I thought about the BTCC at Silverstone in October. £20 for a weekend ticket, children under 16 free, now the question, Has anyone been to a BTCC race weekend? Was it any good? Is the weekend full of activity on the track? Cheers
Old 19 May 2006, 03:37 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

How much is it to go to Silverstone this year ??

Have always said I'd go, but have always been put off by the prices. They then wonder why spectator numbers are dwindling.
Usual British metality though. Price everything as high as possible.
Old 19 May 2006, 03:51 PM
mrdmoore
Scooby Regular

Cost was £99 for a roaming ticket but because I wanted a seat for my boy and myself it was more, £260 for me and over £100 for a child. They only do 3 day tickets as well which is a pain, I would have paid for just a race day ticket, the other Grand Prix circuits seem to do race day tickets so I don't know why Silverstone can't.
Old 19 May 2006, 04:05 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

I am going to Thruxton two weeks this Sunday. I bought meself and my father a ticket as he used to work as a mechanic in the pits for Andy Rouse (Before I was born!)

Unfortunately this is the first such BTCC event I will have attended. The programme looks good tho' with 3 BTCC races and Clio cip and formula BMW races btwn BTCC events
Old 19 May 2006, 04:32 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

i was at oulton park last w/end

quality day out and the there are a lot of support races too

well worth the £20
Old 19 May 2006, 05:45 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Great fun.
You get to walk around the servicing area & even chat to the drivers.
The Porsche Cup cars are great and the crazy Clios are a must see for full on action.
Old 19 May 2006, 08:03 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pete higham
i was at oulton park last w/end

quality day out and the there are a lot of support races too

well worth the £20
Went last year and Silverstone top day even the wife enjoyed it unfortunately can't make any of the next rounds this year www.btcc.net

Tony
Old 19 May 2006, 08:43 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

I passed on tickets to Brands this Sunday
Old 19 May 2006, 08:49 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

check out our gallery for all the support races and stuff to do in-between races

Great day out, highly recomended!
Old 20 May 2006, 08:34 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

First time we went to watch F1, we camped there for the weekend. All I will say is if anyone is thinking of getting a general admission ticket (£99 for race day as already mentioned) then get there VERY early.

We left our camper van just after 5am and went to the gates which I think open about 5:30/6am and there were huge queues then!! Everyone runs for their spot (I’m not joking either) and there you stay until something starts a good few hours later.

Second time we went we booked seats, think these were about £165 each. This was the year the car parks got flooded and there were huge traffic jams. Me and my brother ended up leaving the old man in the car (as hadn’t moved for nearly two hours) and walking the last 8 miles to the circuit!! As many other people were doing the same thing. We got to our seat about 15 mins before the race started

Been to watch a few BTCC races too, not bad for £20 but there can be a fair bit of prating about between races and some of the support races can get a bit boring but still a good day out.

If thinking of going to see F1 I would go see one abroad because it probably wont work out that much more.
Old 21 May 2006, 08:55 AM
mrdmoore
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, I watched the F1 last year, had a seat in Luffield. We got there at 05:00 on race day, queued going in to the car park and managed to squeeze into a space near the entrance (there was already a few hundred cars there. Long queue to get into the track but at least we had a seat. I assume the BTCC is a bit quieter.
Old 21 May 2006, 10:43 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

We have been going to Silverstone for the Grand Prix every year for god knows how long.

We get there, with either motorhome or tent, on Thursday afternoon and leave on Monday. Have never queued for more than five minutes, even on race day- but we do take a faily leisurely approach, get up at 10am etc.

They converted to three day tickets a couple of years ago- BUT the prices didn't differ that much from the price of a single day ticket. That is a sunday general admission was circa £80, now its £99 for the full weekend, which I don't think is bad value for money.

Having said that, if you want to watch the racing do it on the telly- we go for the atmosphere and the parties, and in recent years have been priveleged to view from the BRDC so the tickets are irrelevant as we don't need any