Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my new ROAD ANGEL....

......so I'm off out to test it!!

Now..........where's them camera's?!!
Old 13 May 2006, 10:18 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I have had one for six months now and have found it ok apart from a couple of things.
1. Turn off the school warning if you know where the schools are in your area. It gets on your **** if you dont.
2. If using the screen mount (to get above huge scoop) then never leave car parked in the sun. Last week in the warm weather the glue on the magnetic disc melted and the angel + very sticky disc were on my dash leaving the mound still attached to the screen.

Road angel prooved very useful recently on a trip to Leeds where they seem to have a camera on every corner. Not knowing Leeds at all i think i may have been stung otherwise, easy to creep over 30 or 40 limits by the critical few mph.
Nik.

Originally Posted by nathanb
......so I'm off out to test it!!

Now..........where's them camera's?!!
Old 13 May 2006, 10:23 AM
Jonesy
Scooby Regular

Had the same problem with the sun so glued the pastic disc down with some "no nails" glue and it hasn't moved since.
Old 13 May 2006, 10:36 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
I have had one for six months now and have found it ok apart from a couple of things.
1. Turn off the school warning if you know where the schools are in your area. It gets on your **** if you dont.
2. If using the screen mount (to get above huge scoop) then never leave car parked in the sun. Last week in the warm weather the glue on the magnetic disc melted and the angel + very sticky disc were on my dash leaving the mound still attached to the screen.

Road angel prooved very useful recently on a trip to Leeds where they seem to have a camera on every corner. Not knowing Leeds at all i think i may have been stung otherwise, easy to creep over 30 or 40 limits by the critical few mph.
Nik.
I never had this problem in my WRX with sun though.
But why are you trying to get it above the scoop?
You need to realise that the laser detector is useless really you know?
And so i sit mine at dash level in middle of screen.
By the time your road angel bleeps at a laser (that is, if it ever does, as mine has never and i have passed quite a few), you have already been speed verified. So, put the road angel down at dash level, you know it makes sense, LOL
Old 13 May 2006, 10:43 AM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Why's the laser no good? Thought It was 360 degrees? Also, If I dont re subscribe will it still detect camera's?
Old 13 May 2006, 10:54 AM
*AL*
Scooby Regular

I had a Road Angel for over a year and found the so called 'laser detector' a load of rubbish.I never had it confirm a laser once, even with a policeman pointing a laser gun directly at me!As said if a gun is trained on your car and you are speeding then you're nicked, simple.
Just use it for speed camera locations,which it does very well.
Old 13 May 2006, 10:57 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I thought the laser detector could pick up bits of laser aimed at other vehicles. Don't know the technical term for wayward laser beams

I was wondering about the non subscription bit. I bet there will be a block they can apply to stop the detector finding satellites.

Nik

Why's the laser no good? Thought It was 360 degrees? Also, If I dont re subscribe will it still detect camera's?
Old 13 May 2006, 11:08 AM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

I do not have a RA but I believe the principle to be the same on all/most of these pieces of kit ....

The unit may be so say 360 degrees coverage, but the sensors are miles away from where you will be targetted ... ie the numberplate ... where the beam will be c. 3 inches wide. The likelihood of you picking up 'scatter' is very low, although possible.

I also believe that all you are subscribing to is the Camera Locations DB updates, so if you do not subscribe, then you are left with the version of the DB as at the last time you subscribed; but the unit still works albeit with an out of date reference.
Old 13 May 2006, 11:32 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
I thought the laser detector could pick up bits of laser aimed at other vehicles. Don't know the technical term for wayward laser beams

I was wondering about the non subscription bit. I bet there will be a block they can apply to stop the detector finding satellites.

Nik
It can; you could get a lucky deflection off another vehicle, but if they are tageting you, 9 out of ten times the warning will only serve to tell you "if you are speeding, you're nicked" I'm afraid, as the reading is pretty much instantaneous at the camera end.

They are useful if -like me- you're paranoid and just want to be reassured that you've not been nicked during the course of your journey!

Ns04
Old 13 May 2006, 11:39 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up just got my new RoadAngel

Hello,

Got a S6 NEO Snooper. It's 2 Detectors GPS in one.One gets all the Vans, Specs etc where they might be based on hisory.

The other is for armed Gatsos & Lasers. The Laser has saved my Bottie a few times. I have it set to 1,000 Metres and, when PLOD aims at you, It Screeches like a Banshee!!

You have to hit the brakes instantly as it takes abourt 2 seconds for the Laser to get you. ( A Plod told us that).

Good luck to you all

Kind regards

Alan MAC
Old 13 May 2006, 03:19 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

On my recent trip to Turkey I noticed most cars had basically another rearview mirror with the mirror side facing outwards to deflect the camera rays also wagon drivers use the underside of a cd instead does anyone know if it works for the laser/rada cameras??
Old 13 May 2006, 03:26 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephb1986
On my recent trip to Turkey I noticed most cars had basically another rearview mirror with the mirror side facing outwards to deflect the camera rays also wagon drivers use the underside of a cd instead does anyone know if it works for the laser/rada cameras??
No it does not work its utter b@llOcks

mick
Old 13 May 2006, 03:28 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

ive had a speed camera detector for about 2 years now its been really good but pisses me off when it picks up cctv when i go shopping! but i think its about time i upgraded to something better
Old 13 May 2006, 05:38 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Basically agreed with all the above, nathanb. By the time the road angel bleeps at the laser, and if you could react to it, you have been done if you are speeding. It all happens that quick i dont think you could react fast enough to kill enough speed not to be picked up by a laser.
but dont get me wrong, i love my road angel for the gps side of things.
Old 14 May 2006, 10:23 AM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Cheers everyone, good feeedback!