Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 2.5 WRX - what to look out for??

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2006, 02:07 PM
v15ben
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 2.5 WRX - what to look out for??

My girlfriend is looking at one of these from Motorpoint. The sticker there is £14999 which is much cheaper than anything else she has seen. She has also looked at some older cars 02/03 which are similar in price but are STI rather than simply WRX.
A few questions to ask as the search for a new Scoob goes on:

- Is there a cheaper brand new un-reg'd 2.5 WRX than the £14999 at Motorpoint?
- Are there any issues with warranty and security features if you buy one of these cars from Motorpoint or a similar dealer??
- Is it worth looking at older models as she has had a very very good insurance quote on the standard 2.5 WRX? (age 23, 3 year NCB, £750 fully comp) I'd expect an older STI to be much more for anyone under 25.
- A mere detail, but how easy and how expensive is it to swap the small 06 spoiler for a higher previous generation spoiler like the ones on the STI? Where can this be done and how easy will it be?

Over to you.
Cheers
Ben
Old 09 May 2006, 02:22 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Hello mate welcome to scoobynet.

Before anyone else says it :- do a search under euro import and you will find the answers re warranty.

The insurance quote is excellent BTW.

I think (I may be wrong) but the higher spoiler has different mounting points so you may need to swap a boot lid and spoiler complete. Also the springs that hold the boot up when its open are stronger to carry the extra weight.
Old 09 May 2006, 03:11 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Welcome here is a link to one of many discussions covering what to look out for etc.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...t=euro+imports

If you do go down the supermarket route make sure you get in writing that the warranty is a 3 year warranty covered by Subaru!!!!

If I remember rightly Alliance car supermarkets had very good feed back - they sponsor scooby net as well and a link is usually on the main forum page.

Regards and good luck

GB
Old 09 May 2006, 04:45 PM
v15ben
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the links there. A very interesting read and some good advice and links to even better deals on new WRXs.
The issue with the spoiler seems to make that a bit of a no-go without lots of hassle but I will pass on the message and see what she says. By the sounds of it though it'd be a whole new boot rather than simply a new spoiler right??
Old 09 May 2006, 05:50 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

There are aftermarket replica STi spoiler which use the WRX mounting points from the likes of DR Motorsport, but an original STi one does indeed use many more mounting holes. You can get over the bootlid spring tension problem by getting a carbon replica wing like THIS which will be a similar weight to the WRX wing.

Additional warranty info HERE and HERE.
Old 09 May 2006, 08:26 PM
deano555
Scooby Regular

Hi Ben, thought theese pics minght help, I had a none gen. rear spoiler fitted but it was pants, I had the dealer swap it for a genuine one, I'll not scare you off with the price. The boot was modified for fittment and the fixings were left on, the boot is slightly heavier but its fine if you don't slam it.

Deano.

Old 10 May 2006, 10:29 AM
v15ben
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info on spoilers folks. Deano: Thats just the look she wants but would you pm me the price so I have something to work with
Old 10 May 2006, 12:40 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Bought a gen one for the other halfs wrx, about £1k painted and fitted
Old 10 May 2006, 01:09 PM
v15ben
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Boyakasha
Bought a gen one for the other halfs wrx, about £1k painted and fitted
Sounds possible to me... where did you get it done?? Thanks
Old 10 May 2006, 01:42 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Just got it done at the dealer when the car was delivered.

Have you checked out Scott Lowe for a nice low level carbon fibre spolier.
Old 10 May 2006, 03:59 PM
v15ben
Scooby Newbie

Just looked at Scott Lowe and I'm not sure about the CF spoilers. They don't seem to fit with the rest of the car and look a bit of an afterthought to me. Will I be looking at about £1k for a bona fide spoiler then??
Old 10 May 2006, 04:37 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

I'm not sure if it makes a differance but has your girlfriend told the insurance company it is an import she's looking at buying ?
Old 10 May 2006, 04:55 PM
//Slydai\\
Scooby Regular

With motorpoint you have to "buy" a 3yr warranty as nothing is included in the on screen price. Looked at buying an 06MY 2.5 Sti from them as the price was so good, but when I was told of all the extras that I had to have fitted (alarm, warranty etc) the total price was £24,200!! For that I could go to Litchfields and have the Jap spec 2.0 06MY for £23,999
Old 10 May 2006, 05:39 PM
v15ben
Scooby Newbie

Insurance wise the car is a parallel import so the price is the same as a UK car. I am starting to get a very bad vibe about Motorpoint WRXs too reading more and more posts on the subject. When you say the alarm, tracker, warranty etc was forced upon you, did you not have the choice to say "No I'll sort it out myself?" I talked to another well known supermarket today and was told that I could fit my own alarm, locking wheel nuts and get an independent warranty if I wanted to.
Old 10 May 2006, 05:45 PM
//Slydai\\
Scooby Regular

But if you drive the car away, you have to have insurance. So you're going to say "yes" to it having and alarm and tracker fitted even though it hasnt??
Old 10 May 2006, 07:45 PM
v15ben
Scooby Newbie

In all honesty I'd say yes as I would book it in for an alarm and tracker fitment as soon it was collected. I would then drive down to the alarm fitter and get it done. I know it is one drive without the alarm but I would risk it.
Old 10 May 2006, 08:48 PM
deano555
Scooby Regular

Ben, you will be looking at about £1000 for genuine spoiler fitted, and around £300- 400 for a replica, make sure you check the quality of a few of the replica's if you go that route, some are very good but some are dross...

Deano.
Old 11 May 2006, 09:46 AM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

1. Alliance or Litchfields will supply you with a wrx for the same sort of price with a 3yr Subaru Pan European Warranty. I cannot comment on Motorpoints warranty.

2. Alliance or Litchfields may be able to order a car with the sti spoiler fitted by the dealer in the country of origin if you are prepared to wait.

3. The wont force locking wheel nuts or an cat 1 alarm on you but to match the full UK spec you would need to get them fitted.

4. The car will come with underseal F.O.C !!

5. The insurnace companies I have dealt with have not been Bothered that my Alliance supplied car was an UK spec EU import.

6. UK WRX have side air bag seats as std. In europe you can specify either figure hugging (!) buckets with a centre hump but no air bags (like my car) or the wide arsed uk seats with air bags which I personally found gave me backache.

7. I have had no problems at my local dealer with warranty and service work.

8. Dont believe the crap spouted by some people on here about lower residuals - you save more money to begin with and anyone looking for a 2nd hand car has no benefit to buying a uk car - check the second hand prices on Autotrader - theres no difference.

9. Cyprus cars have a 5yr transmission warranty - Uk do not.

10. The service intervals (in miles) are slightly different to UK cars but are the same as the rest of Europe.

Phew !!
Old 11 May 2006, 01:21 PM
v15ben
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by deano555
Ben, you will be looking at about £1000 for genuine spoiler fitted, and around £300- 400 for a replica, make sure you check the quality of a few of the replica's if you go that route, some are very good but some are dross...

Deano.
Cheers Deano
I have read a lot of old posts on here and found many people with very good things to say about DR Motorsport, Scooby World and Brian Wilson who all offer the same kind of price for replicas. I have contacted them all and received very prompt and helpful replies so one of them will definitely be getting by business.
Old 11 May 2006, 01:29 PM
v15ben
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wrxseeker
1. Alliance or Litchfields will supply you with a wrx for the same sort of price with a 3yr Subaru Pan European Warranty. I cannot comment on Motorpoints warranty.

I have looked at both these dealers. Litchfields are offering the car at £17k which is a bit high for us. Alliance have a better price and we are considering them. Motor Depot offered an OTR price of £15750 which is the best except Motorpoint. Motorpoint seem to have shocking reviews and I know plenty of people who have had bad experiences. So far Motor Depot is the answer.

2. Alliance or Litchfields may be able to order a car with the sti spoiler fitted by the dealer in the country of origin if you are prepared to wait.

Replica Spoilers from Brian Wilson, DR or Scooby World are only £350-400 painted and fitted. Plenty of happy customers from all these companies on scoobynet... this is the answer.

3. The wont force locking wheel nuts or an cat 1 alarm on you but to match the full UK spec you would need to get them fitted.

The power of Scoobynet shines again as I have found suppliers of both the wheel nuts and alarm.

4. The car will come with underseal F.O.C !!

Indeed... the dealers I have talked to confirm this

5. The insurnace companies I have dealt with have not been Bothered that my Alliance supplied car was an UK spec EU import.

Again true... Tesco said that was fine.

6. UK WRX have side air bag seats as std. In europe you can specify either figure hugging (!) buckets with a centre hump but no air bags (like my car) or the wide arsed uk seats with air bags which I personally found gave me backache.

Will have to see on the seat front. The car we viewed had the Euro spec figure huggers and we have also looked at UK spec wide **** versions.

7. I have had no problems at my local dealer with warranty and service work.

Yep reading on Scooby Net confirms many dealers won't give us hassle so we are safe there.

8. Dont believe the crap spouted by some people on here about lower residuals - you save more money to begin with and anyone looking for a 2nd hand car has no benefit to buying a uk car - check the second hand prices on Autotrader - theres no difference.

I don't believe it, don't worry

9. Cyprus cars have a 5yr transmission warranty - Uk do not.

Correct.

10. The service intervals (in miles) are slightly different to UK cars but are the same as the rest of Europe.

3000 on the Cyrpus/Malta cars only if they are used in high wear conditions such as intense weather like in Malta. Supermarkets recommend you have standard UK service intervals 9500/10000 miles or annual.

Phew !!
Thanks very much for that... looks like the only problem now is coping with the wait before the car arrives
Old 11 May 2006, 02:49 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Alliance are £15995 I think. And you will be the 1st registered owner.

Check with the supermarkets - you may be 2nd owner on the V5.

and yes waiting is the hard bit !