Sponsored by:

Hi all help needed !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2006, 10:37 PM
deedud
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi all help needed !!!

Ok... big hello to you all I am about to purchase my first subaru and could do with some help with what to buy I am looking at spending a max of 13k .... Ok i have seen 2 at the weekend and got to say not to sure what way to go !! the 1st one uk300 in met blue with some nice gold prodrive 18'' wheels and a few bits but no engine mods 2 owners Y-2001 with 38k full history invoices etc etc superb condition but is due for a service The other was a 51 plate 2002 black STI 34k import from new service history 3 owners the only thing i noticed is that it sits lower than the uk300 that i had seen ?? there are a few more stone chips and marks but still in superb condition.. the only other thing i found was the clutch was a working 3/4 the way out on travel is this normal.. and one last thing there were no fog lights behind the covers !! just big holes and some wires ?? I made an offer on the STI and had a phone call today for the go a head

Ok then pro's and con's please.. is the STI a better car than a UK300 ?? can anyone tell me when they need new cambelts ?

Regards Dave.
Old 08 May 2006, 10:47 PM
DanUK
Scooby Regular

You are in the same boat as myself three weeks ago, and I went for a 2002 51 plate STI in the end.

It was the 6 speed box and the Brembos that attracted me to the STi and am so glad I did! Intercooler Water Spray is a fun gimmick too!
I drove a 2 uk300s (Probably the same 38K miler you did! Near Leicester?)

When you say Import are we talking Japanese or European Import. Bear in the mind the insurance will be more if it's a Japanese model

There are no Fogs behind those STi lenses, so that's OK! My Clutch bites at about 3/4 and is very firm for the last quarter push. I think that's pretty normal, there seems to be a lot of travel on these cars?

What are you planning to pay BTW. I think alot of cars are over priced. The 38K UK300 was £11,500 and that is way too much IMO!

I paid £9200 for my 2 owner, 54,000 mile Litchfield sourced UK Spec 2002 Model STi 7

Last edited by DanUK; 08 May 2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08 May 2006, 11:01 PM
deedud
Scooby Newbie

Hi Dan the STI is a jap import from new.. It was up for £11995 i have offerd the guy £10750 for it as it is due for a service and a mot in a few months time .. it has had some paint on both bumpers at some point in its life and i would have them re painted at some point... I am just more drawn to the STI its a better looking car than the UK 300 and more spec.
Old 08 May 2006, 11:04 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

my only advice to you is dont buy a subaru until you have done shed loads of research.
there is masses to learn (if you havent already), read up as much as possible this site is ideal with loads of help etc, on models and performance.
i made a mistake of wanting a scooby (didnt care what model) got ripped off with the price and sold it 12 months later as i wasnt happy with the looks or performance.
take your time and dont shy away from private sellers. good luck
Old 08 May 2006, 11:09 PM
deedud
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the advice Bob...Been looking for some time now !! Must say there are some old bangers out there that have not been looked after or serviced !! the STI is from a dealer and the UK300 is a private guy in Bournemouth.
Old 08 May 2006, 11:22 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deedud
Cheers for the advice Bob...Been looking for some time now !! Must say there are some old bangers out there that have not been looked after or serviced !! the STI is from a dealer and the UK300 is a private guy in Bournemouth.
we all have our own opinions on what looks and performs well. if i had 13k i would go for a uk sti prodrive style. i wouldnt bother with an import(insurance and resale difficulties).if i had 14k i would go for a black, 53 plate uk sti with pff7s. which i did and havent regretted it. go for an sti, you will soon be bored with the uk 300 and any mods will send the insurance too high. either way it must have fsh and get it hpi checked.
Old 08 May 2006, 11:32 PM
DanUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
either way it must have fsh and get it hpi checked.
Yeah, can't stress that enough!

One UK300 I saw was on the CAT D register and the guy lied and told me it was clear! If I'd been stupid enough not to check I could have lost a lot of money!

I do say STI for sure, you won't get bored so soon as with a UK300 and you'll know you bought the top model! You will get some bonuses with the Jap Spec and a lot of the guys rave about them here! So I can see the pull! Have you tried insurance yet? Something to think about.

Bear in mind too that for £13K you could push to a Blobeye STI! VERY NICE!
Old 09 May 2006, 08:57 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Get a 03 Sti, there a few on Auto trader, got to go to work or would have linked you to a few,good luck.

Mac.
Old 09 May 2006, 10:59 PM
DanUK
Scooby Regular

Keep us posted hey?
Old 11 May 2006, 09:21 PM
deedud
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by DanUK
Keep us posted hey?
Well done the deed and i am one happy chappy went for the STI bug eye on a 51/2002 in the black with 34k Will try and post some pics up soon... spent most of today cleaning the bloody fly's off the front !!!! and i thought that bike riding in the summer was bad !! The only thing i need to sort is the clutch... its about a 1'' from the top before creeping forward.. not to sure who is the best dealer to me in bournemouth ?? Will also need to do something with the tinpot music system !! Can i just change the speakers ?? or is it a case of more power from a head unit ??

Dave the rave !!!!