Sponsored by:

What is a good price to pay

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2006, 01:14 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What is a good price to pay

For a Subaru 03> STI in Blue (standard car)?

Assumeing the car has average milelage near 30K..

Just gettign the figures together...

Thanks
Sam
Old 05 May 2006, 02:38 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam,

I have just bought a black MY 03 STI. WR blue cars tend to be cheeper as they are more common, but a type UK car with FSSH should set you back 13-15k depending on spec. When I looked on Autotrader imports were cheeper.

If you do buy tho, check it has had the rear shocks replaced and bear in mind Cirencester Subaru quoted my £950 for replacement front pads/disks.
Old 05 May 2006, 02:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I saw an 03 at £11995 yesterday No PPP and 70k, but still cheap IMHO. I'd still say IRO £15k for a good low miler with PPP. If there is any warranty left on the cars you look at, bear in mind that some dealers do replace the discs under warranty, and pads can be done in under 1/2 hour by anyone who can hold a spanner, with top (better than OE) quality pads for £80^. Make sure it's had it's 30k service if it's anywhere near it as it's a biggy at £450+.
Old 05 May 2006, 02:54 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

What a pisser.

I sold my Terzo two months after the 30k service (which came in at £580) and my STI will need it's 30k/3 year service in Nov.

Stung twice.

Badly.

.........Disks under warranty....any more info Corradoboy?
Old 05 May 2006, 03:10 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a few in Autotrader for £12K, though not sure as dealers are selling them and would ahve assumed that private sales would have been little less then that....No? (as dealers always ted to over price)

£12K really is the budget though...decided this after i was looking a P1, and thoguth the same sort of money will buy me a nearly new car....why not eh..
Old 05 May 2006, 03:18 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Just looked on the 'Trader and I'm shocked by the STi's at £12k. I would assume they're imports, but that's no problem once the warranty is just about up. Go for it and mod it to Hell at those prices

On the brakes, just phone your dealer and say that it is reasonable to expect the discs to last 3 years or 30k miles and you think they should be replaced under warranty. If you get no joy then phone another until one agrees. They will try and get you to buy their pads at £90+ but just fit some good ones yourself the day before. There is a chance though that they'll use the aftermarket pads as an excuse to dodge the warranty claim, but if they're Ferodo then they can't as the upgraded Prodrive ones they sell are rebranded Ferodo, and therefore of OE quality or better which fulfils the warranty criteria.
Old 05 May 2006, 03:22 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamUK
I have seen a few in Autotrader for £12K, though not sure as dealers are selling them and would ahve assumed that private sales would have been little less then that....No? (as dealers always ted to over price)

£12K really is the budget though...decided this after i was looking a P1, and thoguth the same sort of money will buy me a nearly new car....why not eh..
I did exactly the same as you SamUK. Looked for a P1 initially but I think the class shape will look (cool) but possibly dated in the years to come. Some say the engines sometimes go pop without the correct servicing regieme -MAF's every other service etc, etc (whatever)

If you are after a blobeye STi I think you will struggle to get one for 12k. You may buy a 52 plate for that kind of money. I paid 16k for mine with PPP, prodrive springs and 9 months warrenty left (19k on the clock).

I trawled Autotrader for months before getting mine. Simetimes there was nothing on there, other times there was loads cars. Patience is required.

Good luck with the search.
Old 05 May 2006, 04:02 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

When I went to trade in my MY03 STi the book price on it was about 11k and i was offered 10.5k for it as they were going at below book in the trade. While a lot of this is just car dealers etc. it is true that the money has fallen off them. However, if others are getting offered 10.5k as trade in then I wouldn't be surprised to see good low miles 03 cars for 12k private. Mine had 20k miles on it and in view of how they are selling etc. 12k seems reasonable to me.

However, bear in mind that you want a few quid in the bank over and above your 12k budget. I figured that to keep mine another year was going to mean me handing out at least 3k in terms of new/replacement bits such as tyres, shocks, brakes, service etc. I would imagine that most other 03 cars are in a similar position.