Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie - Need some help on BHP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2006, 03:36 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - Need some help on BHP!!

First off, hi everyone!! Secondly, please don't shoot me down for asking such a beginner's question

I'm thinking of buying a Subaru pretty soon. The one I've seen is an Impreza WRX 51 plate (yep, bugeye lol). It's also got a Vortex afterburner backbox. Now, I'm relatively new to scoobys, so can someone enlighten me to what the real BHP of this car is? On some websites I've read they are 215bhp and on others I've read its 225bhp Plus does anyone know around how much bhp would the vortex add?

Since I'm here I might as well ask, what the torque is, and what is the 0-60. I've seen so many websites saying different things, I just thought I'd ask some people who actually own them

The bloke is asking £8,700 for it, it's got 32K on the clock and also an STi spoiler... is this a good deal??

Sorry for the extremely long post, and hello again
Old 01 May 2006, 03:53 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

hi and welcome
i think the bug eye wrx is about 215bhp dont know about the torque
i'm sure someone on here will put you right when they see your thread
Old 01 May 2006, 03:55 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your quick reply I was really hoping it was 225bhp LOL... I think the current owner is under the impression it's 225 :S
Old 01 May 2006, 04:05 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

as standard, the car is running 215ps.

unsure of the torque figure. Is the exhaust just a back box?, if so, the gains are best had from a full stainless system.

im not a big fan of the bugeyes, and prices are typicaly low from what i have seen, but that seems like a damn good buy for what equates to a low milage 4 year old car.

best thing to do would be have a mooch through the autotrader website, get a feel for similar age and spec'd cars if your unsure. But i suppose the real question is, is that car worth £8700 of your money.

drive a few others, i wouldnt buy the first car you see, there are plenty out there to choose from, and maybe a SN member who is close by to you could go with you to see the car, always worth asking. Im certain you will find someone to give you a hand

john
Old 01 May 2006, 04:13 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

The backbox is off scoobyworld.....

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...products_id=76

scroll down untill you see the vortex.

Was hoping to find out all the specs before i was going to go ahead with it.
Old 01 May 2006, 04:14 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

i had a go in a few bug eyes wrx and late classics befor settling for a my00turbo just like feel of driving it better than the bug eye .the classic was slower then the wrx but each to their own
Old 01 May 2006, 04:24 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

well they are claiming NEARLY 10bhp, i know theres a few of them on cars on here.

they are £250, so, you might find a cheaper car else where and its still scheaper to put the BB on at a later date. To keep things right, sheck the insurance section for companies who are good with mods, A-Plan are good for a start. Elephant for a 23 year old MY05 WRX, didnt want to know the car when i told them PPP was fitted.

you mention the spoiler, for the MY03 STI origional spoiler, was close to a grand when fitted, check if its a real one, not the ebnd of the world if its not, as there are some very good replicas out there now for about the £400 mark once painted and fitted

john
Old 01 May 2006, 04:29 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

Totally mate... the main thing, as is with everything, is money! Plus if Im being honest, I'm being a bit picky - but hey, everything has to be just right when buying a car aye... It has to be under 40K miles, at least a 2001 and under £9000. This one fits just that, that's why it seems ideal...

Like anyone, I'd love a WRX STi - but being 23 the insurance is simply too high... but hopefully I'll climb up the scooby ladder and be able to afford one in a couple of years...

The most important thing to me is that the car has potential... to put it bluntly, it has to be quick. Prodrive packages, etc... will come later on, and I'm intent on working on the bodywork (nothing to do with the look of the bugeye - it's just modifying is what I'm in to)...
I've just sold my car - was a zetec-s turbo conversion with nos, which reached 200bhp with NOS (155bhp without)... but TBH the lump simply wasnt strong enough to pour power on... so the power has to be there right from the start....

Again, apologies for the essay-like post!!
Old 01 May 2006, 04:36 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

if your into changing things, then buy a bugeye, dont ruin a classic lol

if you have a look in the notrthern section, theres a guy caled fastcar_150 or something, i will check that in a minute, he has a bugeye for sale, its in good condition, its blue, not WR blue though, it has morrettes fitted and a WRC spoiler.

he gets to our local meets and i dont think the cars used anymore as hes now bought an EVO, he may well let it go for a good price, i think its a 52 plate too

john
Old 01 May 2006, 04:36 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

John - thanks again... To be honest, I'm really not sure if it's a real one. It has a brake light on it and that's all I know. But, I don't really mind if it's not a real one. It's not an STi at the end of the day and I wont be trying to kid everyone otherwise

Also, thank you for the tips with the insurance
Old 01 May 2006, 04:40 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

just checked, and after months of advertising, the car is now sold, he edited the ad on the 29th April, bummer.....

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=509405

have you got any pictures of the car?

where is it, private sale or at a garage?

john
Old 01 May 2006, 04:44 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

I keep missing your posts LOL

Yeah... that's the reason I'm not all too bothered about the bugeye's looks - I don't think anyone I know has bought a Subaru for their looks anyway I go to a lot of car shows, etc... so I'm taking it down that road.... I know that might leave some people reeling in horror, but ahh well I'm thinking big bodykit, headlamp conversion, re-spray, and 18s... and that'll be just in the first month

Bummer! It's a private sale... the only thing I don't like about it is the Subaru graphics on it.. which will be coming off ASAP I'll try and find a pic of it...
Old 01 May 2006, 04:47 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pinkladywales

I've just sold my car - was a zetec-s turbo conversion with nos, which reached 200bhp with NOS (155bhp without)... but TBH the lump simply wasnt strong enough to pour power on... so the power has to be there right from the start....
Your probably moving onto a slower car if im being totally honest.

The 2001 WRX is the worst of the bunch, it is heavy and only has 215bhp. Remembering its 4wd and the consequences of this on the move your zetec s would probably tear a bugeye wrx apart
Old 01 May 2006, 04:48 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

Hope this works... this is going to be mine hopefully
Old 01 May 2006, 04:49 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

heres a few to have a think about

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/72284.htm

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/75334.htm

a bit extra, but the newer model http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/74723.htm

one with PPP http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/67927.htm

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/73674.htm

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/73587.htm

another blobeye sub 10K http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/73115.htm

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/70395.htm

have a look, theres loads more

john
Old 01 May 2006, 04:53 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

looks good, not too sure about the silver decals, but its nothing that cant be sorted.......
Old 01 May 2006, 05:02 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

That second one: I've just called them today after seeing the advert on Autotrader... it's much closer to me than the other one, so I'm really keen. The dealer told me it's an import and TBH I'm not sure what this entails... people have told me the imports' gearboxes and ecu's are restricted and the dealer doesn't know the bhp of the car... if I'm wrong or you know a bit more about imports, then please by all means let me know...

I'm also REALLY liking the last link you showed me... the car is mint, and the only thing that's holding me back from calling right now is the 53K on the clock... maybe I'm just being picky??

Believe me, if I'm going for the car I showed you, I'll be stopping on the motorway on the way home to take off the decals LOL
Old 01 May 2006, 05:13 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

John - I could kiss you!! I've just called that last one and it's still for sale

I'm really, really keen on that one, plus a big bonus is that it's 285bhp I can't really quibble it being over the mileage I wanted for that price and the extras it comes with

What do you guys think of it?? http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/70395.htm
Old 01 May 2006, 05:22 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

John - I could kiss you!! I've just called that last one and it's still for sale

I'm really, really keen on that one, plus a big bonus is that it's 285bhp I can't really quibble it being over the mileage I wanted for that price and the extras it comes with

LOL

That one looked to be the best one when you consider what Mods it has done to it, but, were you wanting to do it all yourself over time, or buy one with most of the work done already....

the only thing i would be doing to that car straight away would be to switch the interior for a newage SPEC C one, same as the STI but its black..

That way you wouldnt have to mess around changing the door cards and carpets to blue, unless you wanted to of course

hope you get sorted anyway

john
Old 01 May 2006, 05:24 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

oh, and as long as its been serviced, i wouldnt worry too much about the miles, i wouldnt have said those mods will have been on the car since new anyway, but, the reciepts will show what was done and when anyway

john
Old 01 May 2006, 05:31 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

nice motor go on get it
Old 01 May 2006, 05:44 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

Hopefully I'll get a good insurance quote on it, and if so, then I'm going to go for it!!

I was planning on doing the mods that are on it already to it over time, but the amount of money it will save me (over 7k has been spent on mods for the car) I don't really mind. It will give me more scope to concentrate on other aspects of the car... The only thing I would really do, is add the backbox I was after, and include bucket seats (after having them in the ZS I dont really fancy going back to headrests!)

It feels like Xmas now
Old 01 May 2006, 05:48 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

go for it, let us know hiw you get in

good luck, just remember to check the insurance forum for who to use and who not to use

john
Old 01 May 2006, 08:11 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

I'm hopefully sorting out my funds tomorrow, and hopefully going up to have a look at the car Wednesday or Thursday - if all goes well, then by Thursday night latest I'll be a scooby owner
Old 01 May 2006, 09:58 PM
ZYRUSS
Scooby Regular

well if your dishing out kisses, im in the que right after john....

lets have a pic then.... pretty plz

sorry to turn the thread onto a different track
Old 02 May 2006, 12:11 AM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

Was just wondering now, if i am lucky enough to get the 285bhp WRX what kind of topend do you lot think i will be looking at?

As im not sure what the stock topend is on a WRX.... and since this is 70bhp im guessing it is gona be more.

Any ideas anyone??
Old 02 May 2006, 12:17 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

its not really about the power that governs your top speed.....

its the gearing of the car, i wouldnt have thought you will be looking at over the clock readout, ie 160mph

john
Old 02 May 2006, 12:29 AM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

yeah i thought gearage would hold it back mostly, so would 160mph be in the grasp of this car? considering it is on a stock gearbox......

Any ideas about stock top speeds?
Old 02 May 2006, 12:35 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

149 or 152....

i have been in MY04 WRX PPP doing a GPS 156mph. that was flat out im presuming, although i cant say for sure, it wasnt mine nor was i driving, i do recall seeing the needel well over the 160mph on the clock though

(on the private roads of corse)
Old 02 May 2006, 12:35 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZYRUSS
well if your dishing out kisses, im in the que right after john....

lets have a pic then.... pretty plz

sorry to turn the thread onto a different track

???????????

??????????