New Member and hopefully first Impreza soon

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2006, 07:11 PM
thayer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member and hopefully first Impreza soon

Firstly, thanks in advance for any guidance and hello

These questions may have been asked a million times before, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find any answers. I'm thinking of trading my 04 Civic Type R in for a Crystal Grey late 2005 WRX STI PPP with Defi dials and upgraded Alpine system about 2400 extras + PPP for 19'950 less 10'000 for Civic, I know nothing about WRX's, therefore could someone kindly answer the following;

MPG - company paying for fuel, realistically what can I expect, I don't really drive hard, my daily journey is 140 mile round trip, all motorway. Dealer reckons high teens; Subaru website states a combined 25MPG 0r 33MPG motorway.

The car has done 3000 miles dealer owned and run, what should I look out for? if anything (quite an open question I know )

I do 35'000 miles year, is this car suitable, is this car good for 35'000 miles a year, I know Subaru's are reliable but often high powered cars suffer and wear quicker than your traditional 150ps saloon (might be wrong, I hope).

On average what do the majority of drivers get out of their tyres, never had a car with 4-wd. The civic often got 14-16k out of a set of bridgestones on the front and 20k on the rears. I know it will depend on the driver and whether I buy ditch finders or durex road huggers, any advice would be gratefully received.

If there's anything else that I should consider before parting with my money please do not hesitate to fill me in.

Many Thanks
Scott
Old 20 April 2006, 07:15 PM
thayer
Scooby Newbie

one other thing, do you really need to run the car on the expensive petrol RON97 or Optimax.

Cheers
Old 26 April 2006, 08:03 PM
thayer
Scooby Newbie

you bunch of miserable bast*rds - no answers
Old 26 April 2006, 08:06 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thayer
touchy, with comments like that I'm not sure you'll get anymore answers.

I dont own an impreza yet but will soon.

'140mile trip to work' means you will have to refill tank at least every other day. there are relaiable as long as there looked after and serviced properly.

can help with much more though
Old 26 April 2006, 08:08 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyboy840
touchy, with comments like that I'm not sure you'll get anymore answers.

I dont own an impreza yet but will soon.

'140mile trip to work' means you will have to refill tank at least every other day. there are relaiable as long as there looked after and serviced properly.

can help with much more though
oh and yes it appears you do need to run on the good fuels r they run like crap and it does the engine no good at all. unless you use ocatne boosters i suppose
Old 26 April 2006, 08:08 PM
thayer
Scooby Newbie

much appreciated, cheers
Old 26 April 2006, 08:10 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

sold my 04 ctr for a scooby as well dont know about 05 scoobys though
i've got a my00turbo
chill dude

Trending Topics

Old 26 April 2006, 08:20 PM
thayer
Scooby Newbie

finding it very difficult to find a dealer that will offer much more than 9k for the civic, however i am finding that a lot of dealers are dropping 2k off list price to compensate. I'm now looking at June 05 STI PPP with 2400 extras for my car and 9.5k.

out of interest, the STI PPP, what are the service intervals, the dealer said 10k but i do remember another dealing mentioning servicing every 4500miles???? a few insults gets the board moving (i wont mention burberry)
Old 26 April 2006, 08:21 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Perhaps if you had taken the time to search / read through a few threads first you would have found answers to most of your questions
Originally Posted by thayer
Old 26 April 2006, 08:23 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

why are you a chav
Old 26 April 2006, 08:28 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

All PPP'd cars need to be run on 98RON or higher. On a steady mway run staying under boost you might realise 30-32mpg, but around town expect 22-25, and on spirited drives it will be in the teens. If the geometry is set up well, and you drive with mechanical sympathy you should get 16-20k from the tyres, depending on brand as some are much softer than others. Nothing much to look for over and above any normal checks when buying a used car, except maybe listening for a clunk from the rear suspension as the rear top-mounts have a habit of failing. As its a warrantied car you are covered anyway. As for suitability, given your mileage and that you say you don't drive hard it could be a bit of an extreme car for you. You might be more suited to a WRX PPP, but personally I'd look at one of the superb modern turbo diesels in your situation. Many of the cars in the VAG stable (Seat Ibiza/Leon, Skoda Fabia/Octavia, VW Golf/Bora) come with superb TDiPD engines that can easily be tuned to 200+bhp and 300+lbft, and yet still give 40+mpg.

Welcome to SNet, and pick your dummy up
Old 26 April 2006, 08:28 PM
thayer
Scooby Newbie

HOWY - i did spend at least an hour seraching etc, I mostly found people stating fuel comsumption to be around the low 20's (couldn't believe it) and yes your probabily right, i did manage to find most of the answers from previous discussions - have i hit a nerve. (always a good idea to make a good first impression - must have forgot) aplogies all round -

Bootsy - not yet i haven't purchased my scooby yet. kidding
Old 26 April 2006, 08:31 PM
thayer
Scooby Newbie

corradoboy - top man.

It has to be an STI PPP it's the only car i have driven that excites me apart from Civic. I pick my moments to drive hard, my company pays for fuel, so I always try to drive sympathetically