Sponsored by:

Speedo not reading correctly...

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2006, 02:02 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Speedo not reading correctly...

Since I asked the garage to fix my while dials on the dash... the petrol, speedo, rev counter and temp needles have never been the same... always out by 20% or so...

Can this be fixed and is it legal dare I ask... I know that when I travel 38MPH according to the speedo reading I am actually doing 30MPH...

Please advise on a solution... thanks in advance
Old 16 April 2006, 02:21 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by adeel.a
Since I asked the garage to fix my while dials on the dash... the petrol, speedo, rev counter and temp needles have never been the same... always out by 20% or so...

Can this be fixed and is it legal dare I ask... I know that when I travel 38MPH according to the speedo reading I am actually doing 30MPH...

Please advise on a solution... thanks in advance
Sounds like a sender problem. It is legal because it is optimistic so therefore not likely to be the cause of speeding. Go back to the garage and get them to sort it.
Old 16 April 2006, 04:59 PM
DEC14N
Scooby Regular

Default dials

When i ordered a set of gold dials from lockwood and fitted them the dash went mental so much so i actually purchased a new dash pod and refitted dials which then when tested did as yours is doing.
I contacted a subaru breakers for another dash pod ,they told me that in some scoobs when you take the needles off to put new dials in place it breaks the dash pod, armed with this i told lockwood who arranged for my dash pod to be sent to a company called Elite international who have fixed the problem but it is not something that can be solved at home as far as im aware.
Apparently it is a common misconception that replacing dials is always easy and many dash pods are broken in the process even when following instuctions to the letter, due to having to take the needles off.
Also Elite International have flagged up another problem, the heat from the bulbs which illuminate the dash have warped the new lockwood dials.
I have for the minute given up on replacing the dials.
Before I get my head chewed off for saying the above this is just what happened to me and what i have been told and your dash problem may well be different.
Old 16 April 2006, 05:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not legal, if you under read its legal (-10%), over reading is illegal
ie, reads 30mph and your doing 38, illegal, doing 38mph and reading 30mph illegal, doing 33mph and reads 30mph, legal, you only have 10% inaccuracy as a magin, after than its not legal.

Tony
Old 16 April 2006, 06:24 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

So just to reflect my understanding Tony; at the moment when I travel 30MPH my speedo reading will read 38MPH... this is illegal...???
Old 16 April 2006, 06:39 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DEC14N
lockwood who arranged for my dash pod to be sent to a company called Elite international who have fixed the problem but it is not something that can be solved at home as far as im aware.
I got mine from Lockwood also, it has been a few years though; mine haven't warped as such though.

Did Elite International charge you and if so how much??? I don't think the pod has been broken, I just think the needles have not been placed correctly especially when the coil mechanism plays a part in some of the dials...

I just want to know if its legal or not because there are varying opinions... and a solution...

Thanks
Old 16 April 2006, 06:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by adeel.a
So just to reflect my understanding Tony; at the moment when I travel 30MPH my speedo reading will read 38MPH... this is illegal...???
Yes, its too inaccurate, you are only allowed by law a 10% margin in the calibration of your speedo, you would really need it recalibrating.

Tony
Old 16 April 2006, 06:51 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Yes, its too inaccurate, you are only allowed by law a 10% margin in the calibration of your speedo, you would really need it recalibrating.

Tony
Thanks Tony, I have just looked a company up on the net based in North London... they are called 'Speedofixer' web address: www.speedofixer.co.uk (got this from a link from www.eliteinternational.net) as recommended...

What do you think? They are based in North London, I am in South London so its not too bad... unless you can recommend a good company who deals with this. I will make an enquiry with Elite International...
Old 16 April 2006, 07:46 PM
DEC14N
Scooby Regular

No I didnt pay for Elite to do mine, lockwood paid after i complained that there advertisment was not strictly correct as they had not advised it could cause damage to the dash pod when the needles are removed.

As for them warping, I had not noticed this but Elite pointed the problem out.

Elite International have been extremly helpfull.